• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Cheek riser (review)

Robocop1051

First off, let me start.... I HATE CHEEK RISERS! 

It’s partially my fault. I have an enormous head (7-5/8” hats) and most non-adjustable risers put my eye beyond where I need to be. The second part is, I don’t like how “squishy” they normally are. I was raised on solid stocks, and I appreciate a solid cheek weld on my rifle. Most risers are foam filled and Im constantly trying to find that sweet spot. 

Some guys here know that my favorite rifle to shoot is my Ruger GSR... even though I feel like it’s over priced and was cut short on features by Ruger  (if I had it to do over, I would’ve picked up a Moss MVP or Ruger American instead). I put a cheek pad on shortly after I got it, and have NEVER been comfortable with it. 

I was looking at the various kydex options online. Many of them required me to drill holes in my stock and used tension nuts on lag bolts. I wasn’t opposed to the idea... but I was excited about it either. It seemed like a rather expensive option for a very low tech modification. One I could easily replicate in a trip to Home Depot. The more I shopped, the more I also knew I didn’t want black.

Real world experience helps too, and being in contact with SWAT guys helps extra. I saw a snipers M700 with an adjustable kydex riser that was strapped on. I didn’t get to fondle his, but I knew the direction I was going now and was more focused on where I was looking. That was about when I stumbled on to this site:

http://www.bradleycheekrest.com/

This stuff looked like it had all the answers I’d been searching for;

• Kydex
  • Cordura lined (Kryptek Highlander)
  • Adjustable 
  • Velcro attachment 

I sent a quick email to the company, regarding the compatibility with the Ruger GSR stock.  A few short hours later I got a response from Brad, the owner. He explained that the riser is shipped with several different adjustments straps, to fit all sizes of stocks. He was very confident that I’d have no fitment issues.

Despite being 3x-4x the cost of all the competitors,  I could not find any comparable products… Not at any price! I even went to YouTube and watched a handful of videos to get reviews from other users...  what I don’t normally tell people about my Ruger scout, is that I bought it for about $200, maybe $250. This is honestly how I justify most of my modifications and additions to this rifle. 

I ordered the stock that night, and paid for It via PayPal. Bradley gives a LE/MIL discount and has free shipping. I had the package in my hands three days later… Effen fast!!!

“ELITE SERIES CORDURA 500D BRADLEY ADJUSTABLE“

My first impressions… This thing is sexxxy AF, solid as a rock, and extremely well-built. The cordura texture on the outside not only looks sharp, it feels good too. It was packaged in a nifty little sack, and came with a little cable keychain. 

5451A845-115E-4BD7-9026-BF783FFA8024.jpeg

2A36E2B9-8FEA-415C-AFB9-A1DCFD35B31D.jpeg

It came with a form cut, 1/4”, dense foam-rubber, pad. The black pad is to keep from direct contact to the stock. Otherwise the backs of the adjustment screws would be pressing into the stock. 

Installation was pretty self-explanatory. The apparatus clamshells over the stock, and the Velcro straps strap it down.  I found that with the size of my hands (size large gloves) that the riser was most comfortable as far back on the stock is possible. Otherwise the front corner of the riser poked into the back of my thumb. There’s plenty of room for the bolt the cycle with full clearance. I use 1 spacer in the rear of my GSR stock. If I didn't have that extra bit of length, I don't know if I would've been able to push the rest far enough back. In my situation this ended up being a non-issue... YMMV.

There are four adjustment screws, and each screw has four adjustment spaces. Looks like the rear strap is supposed to go around butt pad. I have some rifles with butt pads that look like they competed in an ugly contest with 98z5v, and won. I didn't want to try to suffer a thin piece of velcro through that kind of torture. I decided to put my velcro strap through the pad. I even melted a hole for the screw to go through. The pad sits snug enough.

4278B98D-358B-442A-939A-24B97E45B75F.jpeg

While fiddling with the adjustments, I actually found that a forward cant of the riser was really comfortable for me. It almost felt like a Monte Carlo stock. The kydex was super rigid, with zero flex, yet the cordura was a comfortable texture.

My only complaint... kinda... the Velcro material was a little lacking in luster. It’s very thin, and feels frail. I’m far from any kind of Velcro expert. The hook and loop is strong and stable. I just worry how long the straps will last. This is my primary hunting rifle, and im not nice with my toys. If this turns into an issue, the Silverlining is that the straps are easy to replace. Whether I contact Brad for replacement straps, or I fabricate my own “upgraded” straps, will be decided if that time comes. I was tempted to change the Velcro to a matching Camo strap and add a quick release buckle.... but it seems like a lot of work for very little payout. Especially if the current system proves sufficient. 

Price: B (at $125, it would've been a C without the discount)

Quality: A+, this is built rock solid with top tier parts... despite my feelings about the Velcro. 

Comfort: A, I feel the front corners could still be taken up a little, away from the shooting Hand. Although, when positioned properly, it wasn’t an issue. Maybe more of an issue on a youth length stock (or a GSR w/o any spacers installed).

Usability: A+, if you can dress yourself in the morning, you can install/adjust this riser. 

5 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Definitely the coolest looking riser out! Wonder if it would fit a A2 stock.

It was designed originally for the M14, so no reason why an A2 wouldn't work... This idea makes me wonder about making another build. I have an AR10 SPR that needs some love and attention.

56 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Definitely the coolest looking riser out! Wonder if it would fit a A2 stock.

http://bradleycheekrest.com/The-Bradley-A2-Adjustable-cheek-rest-For-the-A2-AR-stock-NEW-BA-000-TAC-BLK-A2.htm

Looks like there is one for the A2. My basic visual estimation says that it "should" fit the ARFX stock. I'll have to wait for the funds to free up again. I'm gonna have to see if he can make the adjustable A2 version with the cordura OD green. That would look amazing on my 308!

Good write up my man. My only question would be the screw heads. It seems like that they would be rubbing against the side of your face. Or am I seeing this wrong?

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, Robocop1051 said:

I have an AR10 SPR that needs some love and attention.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Pump the brakes! What is this? I don't remember hearing about this. Holding out on the Armalite guy huh?

1 hour ago, Rsquared said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Pump the brakes! What is this? I don't remember hearing about this. Holding out on the Armalite guy huh?

I caught that statement from him, too, but I didn't say anything or highlight that fact.  I figured you'd see this and give him some shiit over it.  Which he deserves.

2 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Good write up my man. My only question would be the screw heads. It seems like that they would be rubbing against the side of your face. Or am I seeing this wrong?

Why are you surprised someone owns an Armalite AR 10 .:laffs:

Hmm...

I've been kicking around the idea of swapping back to the A2 stock on my LR-308 (it's wearing a MOE rifle stock right now...). This might be just the ticket.

Or, maybe I order one up in ODG for the Dissipator. That isn't built yet. Because the wife still doesn't know about it.