• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Intro and PSA Gen II lower question

strelnikov

greetings from CA! I live in a county near the central coast with plenty of BLM land to visit (and whose sheriff will actually issue CCWs to law abiding citizens), so I thought I’d start a new project whose end result will be a rifle that I can use to get better at shooting from longer distances. I “built” (more like assembled) a PSA AR 15 in 2016, just in time to have to decide whether to go featureless or register it as an AW (still thinkin’ on it—have until June to decide).

I’ve recently purchased a PSA Gen II lower and am hoping to build it up over the next year or so, but this time I’d like to build the upper myself, instead of getting one that’s already assembled (the carbine upper I got from PSA was OK but the FSP was canted pretty awful and it took them forever to get it back to me—I still haven’t had a chance to take it to the range and zero it). I went with PSA because they would actually ship their lower to CA (a lot of other sites I visited wouldn’t even send a stripped one because of their confusion about our laws). I suppose my main question is: are the PSA Gen II lowers compatible with uppers from manufacturers who have higher quality parts? This forum has been a big help in clarifying an otherwise murky project, and I’m hoping it will continue to be a useful resource. I understand that in general PSA doesn’t play well with others in some respects, but I’m hoping that maybe someone here has attempted what I’m hoping to attempt, using a cheaper lower as the foundation for an otherwise quality rifle. I’ll have to go “featureless” on this build, but since there is a high probability of me leaving the state once I finish my PhD in a year or two (most jobs in my field are easier to find outside of CA), I’d like to be able to convert it to a standard pattern rifle. 

Anyway, that’s a bit about me, and thanks for any info you guys might have!

Edited by strelnikov

Welcome from Florida 

PSA is some funny stuff , we have a Section just for PSA here somewhere , I think in the Manufacturers section , you can get some info there on PSA Builds & start a new thread . I don't know squat about Commifornia laws or how to decipher them , but some here are in your same boat & will answer you as best as one can .

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/135-palmetto-state-armory/

Edited by survivalshop