• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I think she is settling in

dpete

I recently finished what was originally intended to be a budget build 300 BLK carbine to replace one I traded for a 16' boat (a whole 'nother story). The vitals are an Anderson upper/lower, a KAK value line 16" pistol gas barrel, and a Rise Armament trigger. The bullets used for its initial range sessions were handloads of Nosler 110 Varmageddons loaded for the rifle I no longer have. I got the scope sighted in last week to where it was shooting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Not great but hey, the bullets were not loaded for this rifle, and they were getting the initial shots done.

Today I got out again and things just fell into place.

First set of shots: A small group and 3 wild fliers

Second set: More shots to verify what was going on

Third set: Moved scope setting down and took ten shots

Fourth set: Tweaked it to the right a bit and fired ten shots. I had to change mags mid string because the first mag only had 7 bullets left in it.

To be honest it shocked the hell out of me. This rifle is shooting these bullets better than the rifle they were loaded for.

5 hours ago, dpete said:

I recently finished what was originally intended to be a budget build 300 BLK carbine to replace one I traded for a 16' boat (a whole 'nother story). The vitals are an Anderson upper/lower, a KAK value line 16" pistol gas barrel, and a Rise Armament trigger. The bullets used for its initial range sessions were handloads of Nosler 110 Varmageddons loaded for the rifle I no longer have. I got the scope sighted in last week to where it was shooting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Not great but hey, the bullets were not loaded for this rifle, and they were getting the initial shots done.

Today I got out again and things just fell into place.

First set of shots: A small group and 3 wild fliers

Second set: More shots to verify what was going on

Third set: Moved scope setting down and took ten shots

Fourth set: Tweaked it to the right a bit and fired ten shots. I had to change mags mid string because the first mag only had 7 bullets left in it.

To be honest it shocked the hell out of me. This rifle is shooting these bullets better than the rifle they were loaded for.

Maybe the shooter is also doing a better job on the trigger, I can see the good signs of progressive trigger discipline here on these targets. This is what I liked to see from my marksmanship  trainees. This always shows up, specially from a good rest for the rifle, and a good sight picture. 

57 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Maybe the shooter is also doing a better job on the trigger, I can see the good signs of progressive trigger discipline here on these targets. This is what I liked to see from my marksmanship  trainees. This always shows up, specially from a good rest for the rifle, and a good sight picture. 

That could be.... I hope so anyway.  As far as the rest goes, all it is is a Caldwell 7-rest.  It folds almost flat and pretty much lives in the back seat of my Jimmy.  With my ARs, whether they are .223, 300BLK, 6.5 Grendel, or .308 I've found I shoot them better by just resting them against my shoulder and resting my left hand on the front arm of the 7-rest.  No pulling it tight or solid grip.  Just let the rifle kick to where ever it goes after the shot.  At least for bench shooting.  A bit like the loose grip used for vertical bow shooting so you don't torque the shot one way or another.

I agree, to me a  "good rest" is a true rest with the rest just that, no undue pressure trying to force the piece into an unusual position. I was trained in marksmanship on the M1 Garand and then in the art of field artillery. 

Doing a bit of stirring the pot....

Any serious student of field artillery knows you don't try to force an artillery piece into an unusual position you shoot it and let it recoil naturally.  Also the trigger is activated with a rope and not a rigid rod.  Why do you think that is? 

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Nice shooting DP those 300Blks are fun. Is it canned yet?

I've got a 10" form 1 can that currently lives on my 300BLK 8" SBR.  Makes it BB gun quiet with subs.  All I have to do is put on the proper muzzle device and I can move it between the SBR, 16" BLK, 18" 6.5 Grendel, soon to have 12.7" Grendel upper, and my 308 AR.  All of them have the same muzzle threads.

3 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Has the law changed so that you can move a suppressor from one firearm to another?

I wish that the ATF and lawmakers would get suppressor off the restricted list for all gun owners.

The law never changed.  The suppressor itself is $200 tax stamped to purchase or build it.  There is nothing in any application process that you tell them what kind of rifle it is going on.  You have to state what caliber suppressor you are going to make for a form 1 but that only covers the hole size of the suppressor.  You can run a 30 cal suppressor on anything from 30 caliber on down as long as you can put up with the little bit of extra noise due to smaller bullets flying through the 30 cal holes of the baffles.  

As far as my SBR lower goes, it is only the lower that is tax stamped.  I can put any short barrelled upper on it I have.

The SBR lower and the can are tax stamped which allows me and my trustees to possess them.  What they go on or get attached to is up to me.

Yes I certainly agree that suppressors need to be off the NFA list.  At least its legal to hunt with SBRs and suppressors here in WI as long as you have the stamps for them.