• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to AR-10 platform

AKADave

Hello all! New to AR-10 platform but not necessarily to ARs in general. Just picked up a DPMS GII Recon ( I know I know, not a lot of love) as my first dip into the pool. I am preemptively correcting some of the issues early with a new compensator (PWS CQB) and Im thinking after reading all the reviews a new gas block may be next as they say the gun is over-gassed. In any event, thanks for letting me participate!

11 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Have you followed the DPMS break-in instructions and really lubed the bolt and BCG?  

Did you have problems after break-in (100 rounds) of factory ammo?

Havent put a round through it yet. Just been reading things about the rifle and it seems a common theme. Although could be older info and since been corrected, dont know.

Please remember that on gun forums (reading) that a huge percentage of folks post on these forums problems and hope to get fixes.  Some, maybe most. new gun buyers take the gun home clean and oil it,like old Dad told them load it up, and start shooting it and you never"read" about these good cases, 

Be careful about having problems that actually NEVER happen.

52 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Please remember that on gun forums (reading) that a huge percentage of folks post on these forums problems and hope to get fixes.  Some, maybe most. new gun buyers take the gun home clean and oil it,like old Dad told them load it up, and start shooting it and you never"read" about these good cases, 

Be careful about having problems that actually NEVER happen.

Good advice. I will run the heck out of it first. I do know that the comp is supposed to alleviate a lot of noise for the shooter. Thought it would be a good first upgrade.