• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Another New Guy

ThirdWatcher

New to the forum but not new to AR’s.  The first centerfire rifle I ever fired was an M16A1 (made by the Hydramatic Div. of GM) in Army BCT back in 1973.  Since then I’ve acquired several Colt AR’s (in 5.56 & 9mm), a BCM-4, a couple S&W’s (in 5.56 & 7.62), and an ArmaLite AR-10A2 “Infantry Model” and an M-15A2 “Service Model”.  

I retired from LE last year, 42 years working patrol.  I found the older I got, the more I appreciated lightweight weapons and the last AR I carried was a Colt AR6720 w/ Aimpoint PRO & Surefire Scoutlight (furnished by yours truly).  

I never heard of an AR-10 until after I left the Army but from the time I read of it I wanted one.  I finally got one back in early 2007 and I liked it so much that I bought the 5.56 version (both with green furniture).   Even though I have several flat tops with red dot sights I really enjoy shooting my ArmaLites (honestly, I’ve never really warmed up to RDS anyway, still prefer iron sights even though I don’t see as good as I used to).  

A lot of good info in this forum.

Thank you all for the welcome.  

Just to add, I’m an NRA Benefactor Member and I’ve become pretty libertarian in my outlook on life.  The first thing I did after signing out-of-service after my last shift, before exiting my patrol car was to give thanks to the Lord that I never had to shoot anyone (although I had several close calls over the years).  I have been blessed.