• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Black bean chili.

Alan Waters

On 12/11/2018 at 9:03 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm all over this coming up this Saturday.  :thumbup:

@Alan Waters,this is happening right now, brother...   I fired up the tomatoes first, added all the seasonings (minus onions), while I browned the ground chuck.  That combination of spices if out of this world, man...   I diced the onions and got them in there, and the browning chuck was ready at that point.  Tossed it in there, and it was a THICK combination...   so I added a full beer.   :banana:

The black beans are on now, and as soon as they're ready, I'll add them to the crock pot.  This is a great combo, man, and I'm damn glad you posted it.   :hail:

7 minutes ago, Alan Waters said:

Thank you 98Z5V. I've never served it to anyone who did not like it if they like chili.  Going to try the beer in my next round.Got some[chili and beer] in the fridge right now. Supper.

It's amazing, brother.  Amazing. Here's the chili stock right now - black beans are almost ready to add in there, but not quite yet.  This is unreal...  :hail:

P1060840.thumb.JPG.75339b5688a79526d73f79f0fcf339c4.JPG

29 minutes ago, Alan Waters said:

Its up to the cook but I don't drain my black beans. I pour them in juice and all.

I like that - once I cook them down.  There wouldn't be much to drain anyway.  I'm ALMOST there on those beans, too, and the whole thing is close!.... 

@Alan Waters, this was so good last weekend - I'm doing it again today.  Unreal, brother, fantastic recipe.

This pic is the 4 cans of fire roasted tomatoes and two LARGE red onions diced up (already mixed, plus one beer), plus all the seasonings (before I mixed them in there).  The meat was browning, and almost ready to go in there, and the black beans have been getting worked over, overnight.

This is an awesome chili, man - just great.  :thumbup:

P1060846.thumb.JPG.0f06fe2140f7e47c122d62595f801234.JPG

This is a 7-qt oval crock pot, men - once you get the meat and beans in there, it'll fill the 7qt dude right up  - this isn't a small recipe, keep that in mind before you do it.  

Edited by 98Z5V

I use the same oval crockpot and you are right. It's a full load. Glad you like it. It freezes well if you have leftovers.  My wife ask what is the white stuff at right side of the pot. I told her I didn't know but it looked like yesterdays grits. Had to go through the recipe in my mind until I came to garlic. Is that correct? 

2 hours ago, Alan Waters said:

I use the same oval crockpot and you are right. It's a full load. Glad you like it. It freezes well if you have leftovers.  My wife ask what is the white stuff at right side of the pot. I told her I didn't know but it looked like yesterdays grits. Had to go through the recipe in my mind until I came to garlic. Is that correct? 

Yep, the garlic, brother - that's what it is.  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Going to make a batch here today.

We eat a lot of black beans, and buy them dry in 50 pound bags.  Recently Deb bought an Insta-Pot.  It really takes the wait time out of soaking and cooking down dried black beans.

Wash the beans, drain, put in the pot and cover them to about twice the level with water.  20 minutes on pressure cook and good to go.  I add a little sea salt, chopped onion, fresh ground black pepper, and piece of bacon if there is any an the fridge.........Cliff 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I decided to make a half a batch of chili after seeing this pop up again. I didn't have the chipotle chili powder (seemed like a key ingredient); so I picked some up at the store. I also didn't have any Hunts fire roasted tomatoes; so I opted to roast my own on the gas stove burner. After roasting 6-7 decent size tomatoes; I realize it probably still wasn't enough, so I grabbed a can or Rotel (mild) tomatoes with chilies to help out. Might have to add my last tomato before it's done. Got the black beans going; and tasted the chili so far... I agree, that's a really kickass flavor profile! 

Even with a half batch, there is going to be quite a bit leftover I need to freeze or throw in the fridge. 

• 1 year later...