• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Unlucky Hare

308kiwi

Was mucking around this morning modifying the scope mount to accept a brass catcher, just happened to have a mag full of 70gr Nosler's loaded up when this stupid hare decided to run across the field in front of our house, he did not fare well...............dinner sorted for tomorrow night.?

AR243.jpg

70gr 243.jpg

Hare.jpg

That is GOOD eating!!!!! Do you stew, fry, bake, grill or what? Growing up in Missouri we hunted rabbits every winter, ate a lot of them. Squirrels too. Fried or stewed most of them. Frog legs in the summer, rabbits and squirrels in the winter. That was the most we could do with .22s as kids.

1 hour ago, suzukiray said:

That is GOOD eating!!!!! Do you stew, fry, bake, grill or what? Growing up in Missouri we hunted rabbits every winter, ate a lot of them. Squirrels too. Fried or stewed most of them. Frog legs in the summer, rabbits and squirrels in the winter. That was the most we could do with .22s as kids.

We normally make Hare into either casseroles, (stews), or pies. Hare is such a lovely meat, rich as.

We seldom eat rabbit,  nothing wrong with it but our rabbits are European Greys and the meat is very very bland. 

I think you guys have a different species of rabbit in the US, and what we call Hare you guys call 'Jack Rabbit' please correct me if I'm wrong?

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Looks a bit bigger than our Cottontails, nice shot!

I should have put something there to give a sense of scale, but yeah, these guys are huge, we'll get maybe 3 lbs of meat off this fella.

The wife shot this one a while ago with her 9mm AR, to give you an idea of how big they are.....

Hare.jpg

Edited by 308kiwi