• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Willbirds Aero/Sig Shorty 308

willbird

Read jtallen83's thread and it inspired me :-). 

Aero M5 lower on the way, Brownells has them on sale for $80.99 with a promo code for 10% off.

Will use the Sig 716 12.5" barrel and the Sig 716 bolt.

Thinking about the Aero M5 upper with 12" M-lock rail.

Future will bring a 30 caliber can of some kind so not having muzzle sticking out of the rail would be ok, need to sketch it up and see where things will fall.

Bill

54 minutes ago, willbird said:

Future will bring a 30 caliber can of some kind so not having muzzle sticking out of the rail would be ok, need to sketch it up and see where things will fall.

Leave a good space between the rail and the suppressor, mine is a 10 inch rail for reference. That schit gets hot real fast and so does anything close to it.

18 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Leave a good space between the rail and the suppressor, mine is a 10 inch rail for reference. That schit gets hot real fast and so does anything close to it.

Well I was  pondering what difference the M5E1 and a regular upper as to rail length. Looking at pictures again it looks as if the E1 and a regular M5 with the same exact hand guard would turn out the same as far as muzzle sticking past the end of the rail ?

Some folks seem to like to bury a can right up inside the rail, but maybe that is Pistol caliber stuff ??

8 hours ago, willbird said:

Looking at pictures again it looks as if the E1 and a regular M5 with the same exact hand guard would turn out the same as far as muzzle sticking past the end of the rail ?

Some folks seem to like to bury a can right up inside the rail, but maybe that is Pistol caliber stuff ??

Should be the same length on either upper.

You could bury the can in the rail but you better have nomex gloves if you are doing any heavy amount of shooting. I prefer to leave room for it to cool and not transfer heat to the handguard. I swap cans around from rifle to rifle and putting the can under the handguard would make that a pain. I'll take function over looks any day.

Aero gives the actual lengths of the M5 handguards

9" - 9.19", 12" - 12.63", 15" - 14.94" . They also state 

Aero Precision rail lengths measure from end to end. This is the point of contact at the receiver to the end of the last picatinny slot at the muzzle.

Measuring from rear face of the barrel extension the barrel is 11.75 to the muzzle. I think I am going to gamble on the 12", if the muzzle is 1" or so back into the hand guard that will be fine.

https://miculek.com/product/mic-comp-30-miculek-compensator-30-caliber-308/

Bill

Have you looked at Surefires WARCOMP?

When I was researching things I came across a huge review of about 20 different muzzle devices and the Warcomp was one of the leaders.

When I get to my computer I will dig up the source if you're interested.

If you are using a Shurfire can it enable attachment of any of their products.

No but I am interested. I found a test on YouTube of 20 or more 5.56 brakes and the Muculek was in the top 3 and for sure not nearly the most expensive. The tester used a rifle in a lead sled and allowed it to slide on a plastic table. His method seemed to repeat shot to shot.

Will, I have a few observations about that.

#1.  That's a 5.56 gas piston Adams Arms system, and it's a 16" barreled carbine gas system.  It's not a DI system.

#2.  .308 Win recoil is radically different than 5.56 recoil.

#3.  Just because it works well on a 5.56 gas piston 16" carbine gas system, doesn't means it's gonna give you the same performance from a "whatever barrel and gas system" gun in .308 Win. But it might be similar, on some respects.  Depends on how the company "adapted" it to .308 Win.

#4.  I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle that's about 6 or 7 years old now - I'd have to look to make sure. It's a 16" barreled .308 Win bolt action, and it comes with a SHIITY Ruger "flash hider" that's about worthless.  When I first shot that thing, I thought the fillings in my teeth were gonna fall out. It SUCKED that bad. I wanted to throw the rifle in a dumpster, and light it on fire.  I changed the muzzle device to a Spike's Tactical Dynacomp, and it completely changed the felt recoil to the shooter.  And I decided to keep it, and not throw it away and light it on fire.

#5.  Some chart or device on a 5.56 gas piston gun isn't always gonna perform the same way on a (whateverbarrel, whatevergassystem) .308 AR.  It just won't be the same.  It might be close, but it's not gonna be identical, every time.

#6.  .308 muzzle devices were tested here, on this board, and the videos are out there.  That was a NorCal member here, and it was quite the exhaustive test.  It's worth looking into.

Bottom line - linking a chart on 5.56 stuff isn't gonna directly cross over to .308 stuff.  You're only talking apples and oranges, but it's different.  Some people that come on here like to compare apples to hammers, and they're so far off it's not even funny.  This isn't one of those cases - but it's just not the same.  :thumbup:

I'm with you on all of that actually :-). Will dig into the material you mentioned :-), I love material :-). My take from it was that thew Miculek scored really well. That gives me some faith in whoever designed it...it could be that some co make excellent 5.56 brakes...and make other calibers that TOTALLY suck ;-)......or it could be that companies make good brakes, and some make some that suck in all calibers :-). 

As to gas piston or DI......he had the gas system totally turned off, so that makes zero difference really, IE DI turned all the way off would be the same as gas piston turned all the way off ??

The most important thing to ME is to NOT buy a $250 brake that TOTALLY sucks :-)...some of those 5.56 brakes WAY down the list were pretty expensive....they may have other qualities not related to recoil reduction that redeem them somehow, and the guy does say that in the video too.

Bill

Edited by willbird

• 6 months later...

PSA has the MOE EPT pistol build kit with SB TACTICAL PDW BRACE on sale for $229. That reeled me in and I grabbed one :-).

That brace might be a bit on the heavy side but I like how it looks :-). Hard to exactly compare weight too because the stated weight of some braces does not include a buffer tube and others like the PDW include a proprietary buffer tube in the specified weight.

Bill

Even if it's a little heavy, it will be worth it, in the long run, shooting the gun.  It's gonna be lighter than another .308AR anyway, and "light" in these things equals "more felt recoil."  Even if it's only a little bit heavier - that will help, overall, firing the gun.

Nice!

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Even if it's a little heavy, it will be worth it, in the long run, shooting the gun.  It's gonna be lighter than another .308AR anyway, and "light" in these things equals "more felt recoil."  Even if it's only a little bit heavier - that will help, overall, firing the gun.

That was the biggest surprise I had with the DI Aero/Sig build, pound plus lighter but shoots way softer than the 716, don't know why but it was a pleasant surprise :thumbup:

Same on my 13.5", with that bigass Armalite brake on there.  I thought that was gonna SUCK having that big .308 Win brake that close to my face.  Nah, it shoot so nice...   I'm about to get into one of these 12.5" SIG barrels, just because of the price.  Stash it away, worry about "making it something," later...  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Robert@FULL30 said:

Got two with that exact plan in mind, they are very impressive looking

They are gas-piston based guns, and you'll need an 11.000" custom gas tube to make them work as a DI gun.  Know that now, brother.   :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...