• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
panel77

PSA awesomeness

short version.

Poor redneck in need of loud noises. 

PSA has 18" stainless complete assembled upper with BCG/CH and M-lok and flattop for $400 delivered.

sold

then for $449 delivered they had this;516445787

https://palmettostatearmory.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=516445787

sold-again.

threw them on top of 80% AMT lowers. fail. proprietary POS PSA hang the upper so far over the magwell, butchered one mag almost 1/2" right in the front to get it to feed... okay. fine. go back to AMT, buy AMT uppers, swap everything.

bang, bang, clank, bbbbcbcbbc

and repeat. every clank is the bolt riding over the top of a new rnd as it tries to get into chamber. all PMAGs and 20 different ones. 

then through google i found you guys and read 98Z5V posts on the fixes and ive got them all;

gas tube barely into cutout-check

short buffer springs <11.5"-check

>7.625 buffer tube-check

buffer weight low: one is 3.85 marked with H, other is 3.88-check

wasted 200 rounds going nowhere so far-check.

will find 5+buffer and 13.x spring, install correct length tube, check gas port size and increase to at least 070

one has A2 FS, prob gonna keep that way, the Mlok might try to find adjustable gas block-opinions? 

File_000.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.  Glad you found some answers to your problems.  PSA, as well as many others, like to make things proprietary with their 308AR builds.  It would be nice to have some standards, but then we would be just another gun forum. :thumbup:

Love the short version Panel. That's F-ing hilarious. Sounds like you're on the right track to getting it running.

Oh......and welcome aboard.

Till your parts come in might I suggest you put the A2 stocked lower on the 18" with the handguards. Mine is an A2 with the handguard and runs. I did buy the lower complete from PSA. I do have the proper gas tube on the way and will change it out when it arrives. Good luck.

I was looking at parts on PSA and asked simply-how long is spring, how heavy is buffer?

this is the answer I got;

BEST ANSWER: The spring is a standard AR-10 spring length and the buffer tube is the same. The buffer tube is hollowed out aluminum so it's pretty light weight. Think AR-15 just a little bigger. Everything is just ratched up a notch to accommodate the .308/7.62x51 round. Nothing weighs more than what's necessary for a semi-auto .308 rifle...

----------

This is not an answer to the question I asked. =(

98Z5V sent me a PM and gave me encouragement and links-thank you!

Just waiting for the mailman now.

shooterrex  told me to put on the A2 and run it till parts show. Thanks for that but I think I'm gonna wait as range time is rare and distant and expensive. I dont live(anymore) where I can walk out my back deck and let fly.

13 minutes ago, panel77 said:

I was looking at parts on PSA and asked simply-how long is spring, how heavy is buffer?

this is the answer I got;

BEST ANSWER: The spring is a standard AR-10 spring length and the buffer tube is the same. The buffer tube is hollowed out aluminum so it's pretty light weight. Think AR-15 just a little bigger. Everything is just ratched up a notch to accommodate the .308/7.62x51 round. Nothing weighs more than what's necessary for a semi-auto .308 rifle...

----------

This is not an answer to the question I asked. =(

98Z5V sent me a PM and gave me encouragement and links-thank you!

Just waiting for the mailman now.

shooterrex  told me to put on the A2 and run it till parts show. Thanks for that but I think I'm gonna wait as range time is rare and distant and expensive. I dont live(anymore) where I can walk out my back deck and let fly.

Their spring is nowhere even close to the dimension of an AR-10 operating spring (Armalite part number EA1095).  They can order one and compare their parts, if they want to - they'll find out how far off they are.  They used to have a member here (Josiah, Jamin's brother), but he hasn't been active in a long time.

Weird - you also asked how heavy their buffer was, and they answered (kinda) with the internal depth of a receiver extension- without giving a measurement.  Their receiver extension should be 7 5/8" internal depth, not "kinda" or "close" but exactly - but that's not what they make.  Their buffer should be 5.4oz, but it's 3.8oz.

Food for thought, once again, PSA. Soak up the information, and fix your large frame ARs...  if you want.

so pulled the gas block on both uppers.

my pin set a little too wide but I got it narrowed to between 0.0735-0.0750 for the gas port.

What should i drill it to?

one barrel is stainless. Both are PSA

Edited by panel77

Gas block diameters on both at .750"?  18" midlength gas on both barrels?  That one I worked on was 18" midlength gas, .750 gas block diameter on the barrel, and I had to take the gas port to 0.085" to get it to run great.

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Gas block diameters on both at .750"?  18" midlength gas on both barrels?  That one I worked on was 18" midlength gas, .750 gas block diameter on the barrel, and I had to take the gas port to 0.085" to get it to run great.

yep-both barrel at gas port are 0.7500

both ports the same at between 0.0735-0.0750

so going straight up to 0.0780 should be zero issue.

I didnt buy an adjustable gas block.

got the A2 on one and small fixed block on the MLOK.

both are 18"

MLOK is 18, stainless and 3/4 at the port

A2 is 18, standard, and 3/4 at the port.

Start at drilling them to 0.081".  You might need to go up to 0.085", like I did.

My numbers are with an Armalite AR-10 Carbine Gas tube, which is longer than what PSA sends these rifles out with.  Fix that gas tube first.

You can go ahead and drill that gas port to 0.081".  That will be a #46 drill bit.  You'll have to do that anyway. Have a #44 ready.    :thumbup: