• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA awesomeness

panel77

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

See if you have any damage on the ears of your lower, from the BCG impacting it.  The internal depth on the receiver extension is too long, at 7.750" internal.  It should be 7 5/8" internal depth.  That enough of a difference to makethe BCG smash the ears on the lower - I'm curious if yours did.

If you change up the guts of the recoil system, you can keep that 7.750" internal depth extension, and it'll work.  You just stick two quarters in the extension first, then put in the spring and buffer.  Those two quarters take up the excess internal depth.   It'll function just like every correctly-made 7 5/8" internal depth extension after that.   :thumbup:

Any old off-the-shelf AR15 H3 Carbine buffer will work (or the Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer, it's the exact same thing), and add the Armalite EA1095 recoil spring, and you're in action. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, 98Z5V said:

See if you have any damage on the ears of your lower, from the BCG impacting it.  The internal depth on the receiver extension is too long, at 7.750" internal.  It should be 7 5/8" internal depth.  That enough of a difference to makethe BCG smash the ears on the lower - I'm curious if yours did.

Ears? please define. I used google images, couldnt get a clear idea.

i pulled upper off lower and did not see any strike marks in obvious places that the bolt is around.

12 hours ago, panel77 said:

yep-dinged the ears a TINY bit. looks like maybe less than 1/16" of damage, probably less. basically nicked 1 thread about halfway in the the sharp edge of the thread on each side.

dropped 2 quarters in and its exactly 7 5/8.

That's my Nerd Magic, right there - fixing things that shoulda been fixed from the factory before it ever left there.    :thumbup:

On 4/25/2019 at 9:33 AM, COBrien said:

Don't go back to PSA. They don't know (don't care??) what the difference is between AR-15 and AR-10 or .308 AR buffer systems.

One-shot solution to your buffer tube/buffer/spring problem, right here: https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

Yeah, it's $55, and you've already spent an untold amount of money un-fvcking a PSA hack-job, but *that* setup ^ will get you where you need to be, at least as far as the recoil system is concerned. Don't swap parts with what you've got, install it exactly the way it comes out of the bag.

Out of stock-almost permanently.

what about this?

no specs/length given and it has the short buffer.

https://kmtactical.net/308-mil-spec-carbine-buffer-tube-assembly.html

6 hours ago, panel77 said:

what about this?

Anything that's advertised as "Mil-spec" for .308 ARs is total BS. You'll get what you get and it may or may not work.

7 hours ago, panel77 said:

what about this?

They come and go -- batches of 20 or so, it seems. Sign up for notifications, and check your e-mail religiously. When it comes available, jump back on Armalite's website and buy one right then. They were in stock a day or so before I posted that link -- they must have just sold out. Another couple of weeks and they'll be back.

I don't tend to trust anything unless/until I have it in my hands. I/we know Armalite's parts work, every time, so I tend to stick with them, even if it means waiting a bit.

3 minutes ago, COBrien said:

They come and go -- batches of 20 or so, it seems. Sign up for notifications, and check your e-mail religiously. When it comes available, jump back on Armalite's website and buy one right then. They were in stock a day or so before I posted that link -- they must have just sold out. Another couple of weeks and they'll be back.

I don't tend to trust anything unless/until I have it in my hands. I/we know Armalite's parts work, every time, so I tend to stick with them, even if it means waiting a bit.

Thanks-i got on the email list the day you sent link.

19 hours ago, panel77 said:

what about this?

That looks like garbage, and zero specs listed in that ad.  It's a 2.500" buffer, for sure, spring is weird...    No way.  Avoid.

CALL Armalite on the phone, and talk to someone there - they might piece a kit together for you and send it.  What's out of stock right now (and it really was in stock a few days ago) is the assembled, packaged kit.  If they have all the parts there, in stock, to give you a kit, then they will.  Or wait until the package-monkey makes more packages of them.    I've called them before, then driven up there at lunch and picked up my parts  - that weren't in stock.  And, they don't have a retail office or do over-the-counter sales...   That's saying something - they do care...  They're coming back, and they're good.  Once they're in full-swing, it'll be great.   :thumbup:

That Spring as 98 said has too many Coils to be DPMS 308 Carbine . Milspc could mean "not Commercial dia. " but mil spec dia. . 

I have not read the complete thread , but it appears you are setting these complete Uppers on 80% Lowers ( 308 AR type ) ? 

Have you Tried any of the 308AR Upper assemblies on a complete Factory 308AR  Lower ? Like a DPMS LR Lower Receiver .

Tolerance stacking is an infection with different brand Receiver use.  Mix & match with Receivers is a crap shoot & then throw in an 80% with Jig Milling , just a recipe for issues . 

I find that the Mag Catch placement is one of Tolerance Stacking issues , when using too different brand Receivers in the 308AR world . Seems some Manufacturers have their own Ideas of what is Spec for their Receivers .

As has been posted , use one type Buffer system or the other ( DPMS LR or Armalite AR 10 ), all the Spec's on the two systems are described on this Forum in many places , 308Parts Section would be one of them .

5 hours ago, survivalshop said:

That Spring as 98 said has too many Coils to be DPMS 308 Carbine . Milspc could mean "not Commercial dia. " but mil spec dia. . 

I have not read the complete thread , but it appears you are setting these complete Uppers on 80% Lowers ( 308 AR type ) ? 

Have you Tried any of the 308AR Upper assemblies on a complete Factory 308AR  Lower ? Like a DPMS LR Lower Receiver .

Tolerance stacking is an infection with different brand Receiver use.  Mix & match with Receivers is a crap shoot & then throw in an 80% with Jig Milling , just a recipe for issues . 

I find that the Mag Catch placement is one of Tolerance Stacking issues , when using too different brand Receivers in the 308AR world . Seems some Manufacturers have their own Ideas of what is Spec for their Receivers .

As has been posted , use one type Buffer system or the other ( DPMS LR or Armalite AR 10 ), all the Spec's on the two systems are described on this Forum in many places , 308Parts Section would be one of them .

Good points.

Tolerance stacking is certainly an issue. 

The 80% machining process can not change really any reasonable spec other than trigger placement as thats the only thing you are machining. 

The placement of mag catch and other items such as upper attachment holes and buffer tube placement are already set.

using the same makers upper and matched 80% lower gave the same result finally leading to the measurement poll where with over 15 makers represented, it appears this single maker has a tolerance issue. It will function. barely, and not all the time.

measurement taken from top of mag catch to top of lower.

using a lower within the closer range of spec(0.65-0.70) as opposed to the 0.685+ of the defective lower appears to have totally solved the problem irregardless of any other issue such as gas port, tube length, buffer size/weight, buffer spring length... tube size etc....