• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Parts are arriving

ar-mountaineer

I haven’t been absent since my introduction I’ve just been reading thread after thread on here. I’m getting kind of concerned with my build though. From reading through problems it seems like these builds have gremlins to address. I’m guessing the only way to see what goes wrong is to get this thing put together and test. 

But it’s been like Christmas again for me with packages arriving. I’ve gotten my NiB BCG, 80% lower and parts kit, magpul prs gen3 stock. My concern is coming from reading threads about buffer systems. The buffer, tube, spring will be delivered today. I went with an A2 length with a 5.9oz buffer. I keep seeing that 5.4oz is what you want and fear I’ve made a mistake, but it is the proper length 308 rather than the AR15.

I still have to mill this lower out, not sure when I’ll get the time. I’ve got an engraver going to put some stuff on it and I’ll fill in his marks. The one thing I didn’t like about the lower I got is that it didn’t come with fire/safe marked. So the build is on hold until I can get some stuff done. 

I’m going to keep reading though. Anything else I need to keep aware of....as in common mistakes?

651B25F9-4C41-407E-8248-72BC721BFC3A.jpeg

Don't be too concerned about the gremlins.  There are plenty of people who can talk you through fixes if they are needed.  You are doing what you should by reading build threads.  Most of the ones that have problems did not read before they bought parts and ended up getting things that were not compatible. 

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Don't be too concerned about the gremlins.  There are plenty of people who can talk you through fixes if they are needed.  You are doing what you should by reading build threads.  Most of the ones that have problems did not read before they bought parts and ended up getting things that were not compatible. 

THIS!!!!

3 hours ago, ar-mountaineer said:

The buffer, tube, spring will be delivered today. I went with an A2 length with a 5.9oz buffer. I keep seeing that 5.4oz is what you want and fear I’ve made a mistake, but it is the proper length 308 rather than the AR15.

SO, those parts are not in-hand yet?  Don't worry until is shows up, then check the buffer length and weight.  IT should be 5.200" long to run in a .308AR rifle recoil system, and weight should be 5.4oz.    If the thing is 5.900" long, it's for an AR15.

It's probably a typo in the spec listed, on the part of the advertiser.  Just check it once it arrives.

Or, you got a free heavy buffer...

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

SO, those parts are not in-hand yet?  Don't worry until is shows up, then check the buffer length and weight.  IT should be 5.200" long to run in a .308AR rifle recoil system, and weight should be 5.4oz.    If the thing is 5.900" long, it's for an AR15.

It's probably a typo in the spec listed, on the part of the advertiser.  Just check it once it arrives.

Or, you got a free heavy buffer...

Here is the buffer. It’s waiting in my mailbox. 

Buffer link

its 5.25” and 5.9oz

Edited by ar-mountaineer
Description

80% lowers are not guaranteed to mate with commercial uppers.  Now or when you get it done, drop buy a store and try some uppers on to be sure before you commit to a brand or model.  The takedown and pivot pin alignments need to be right and close the receiver properly.  These things are not standardized.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

5 hours ago, ar-mountaineer said:

Ok. Got it out of the mail, scale says it’s 5.4oz and measured to 5.25”. Spring is 12.75” long with 38 coils.  Tube is 10” outside length.

Internal depth is what matters.  Since they can't make a buffer that's supposed to be 5.200" long, and instead make it 5.250" long, I'd check that internal depth on that extension.

It should come up to exactly 9 11/16" internal depth.  Not "kinda close," or anything like that.

This is officially the first time I've seen an aftermarket company fuk up a rifle recoil system for a.308AR. 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Internal depth is what matters.  Since they can't make a buffer that's supposed to be 5.200" long, and instead make it 5.250" long, I'd check that internal depth on that extension.

It should come up to exactly 9 11/16" internal depth.  Not "kinda close," or anything like that.

This is officially the first time I've seen an aftermarket company fuk up a rifle recoil system for a.308AR. 

When I get home tonight I’ll measure it. I’ll have to look for a smaller tape because all the ones that I have recently used are too wide. The inside only need to be a little over 1/4” shorter to be on the mark. The butt end where the the screw would go protrudes a little from the tube so I’m betting it will be on spec.  Thanks for the measurement reference. 

Edited by ar-mountaineer

7 hours ago, DNP said:

Stick a dowel or something smaller than the tube into it...mark it...then measure that. No need to find another tape. 

Using the dowel method it is measuring on spec. I also contacted the place I got it from and told them about the buffer weight that is listed vs actual weight. They took measurement of ones they had in stock and verified my measurement. They have since changed their website. 

My next area of concern would be the length of spring. I’ve seen it referenced on this site that it should be 13.75” minimum. I’m 1 inch short of that. I’ve also looked at the heavy buffers link that has been posted on here and I’m just wondering if I should just go ahead and order their 10oz buffer and corresponding spring. My wife would be shooting this as well so I would think that would reduce some recoil for her. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, ar-mountaineer said:

wondering if I should just go ahead and order their 10oz buffer and corresponding spring. My wife would be shooting this as well so I would think that would reduce some recoil for her. Thoughts?

Put it together and shoot it, first, with what you're planning.  It's easier to diagnose (if necessary) that way. You build it complicated right off the bat, then it's tougher to find a place to start, when diag time comes.

Armalite EA1095 spring, right here, $8...

https://dsgarms.com/armea1095

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Put it together and shoot it, first, with what you're planning.  It's easier to diagnose (if necessary) that way. You build it complicated right off the bat, then it's tougher to find a place to start, when diag time comes.

Armalite EA1095 spring, right here, $8...

https://dsgarms.com/armea1095

Ordered. Thanks!