• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

9mm build problems

shooterrex

I bought a Stoner 9mm upper from Midway. Supposed to work with Glock and Colt mags. I installed a Yankee hill 9mm buffer 5.9oz. I have the Stern defense mag block to use Glock mags. If I lower the adapter block down past the regular mag catch it will load,fire, and eject about 80% of the time. The rest of the time the bolt doesn't go all the way into battery. I have also tried the endomag adapters that go in a pmag. Same results.This started on a collapsible stocked lower. I have also tried it on a A2 lower my Beowulf  upper is on. Same results doesn't go into battery about 20%of the time.  Any ideas what to try next? Maybe a 308 buffer spring ? Kinda running out of ideas.

6 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

I bought a Stoner 9mm upper from Midway. Supposed to work with Glock and Colt mags.

WHOA!  Those are usually two completely different platforms and lowers, right there.  Glock mags are, well, Glock mags.  Colt mags are almost identical to the 32-round UZI mags.

It's not the upper that's probably giving you the issues - it's whatever is going on with your lower setup.

Pics, please.

Like 98 says, two different systems.

The Glock mag feeds from the centre of the mag, the Colt/Uzi mags feed left and right alternatively, so the bolts are different, ie they have a different width relief machined on the bottom of the bolt to clear the feed lips, depending on what mag system they are designed for.

I know you say your bolt is supposed to be 'both', but it sure as fuk sounds like this is your problem, the mag feed lips are contacting the bolt as it goes into battery, this also explains why you are having 'some' success when you lower the adapter block, effectively lowering the mag feed lips in relation to the bolt.

I've modified quite a few of these bolts so that they work with Glock mags, only way I've found to sort this issue.

Glcok mag.jpg

Edited by 308kiwi

32 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

It looks like this may be the upper. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019229168/ar-stoner-ar-15-optics-ready-upper-receiver-assembly-9mm-luger-16-barrel

It does say it should work with both types of mags. 

Yep that is the upper. It was $219.00 shipped on sale with a coupon.

49 minutes ago, 308kiwi said:

Like 98 says, two different systems.

The Glock mag feeds from the centre of the mag, the Colt/Uzi mags feed left and right alternatively, so the bolts are different, ie they have a different width relief machined on the bottom of the bolt to clear the feed lips, depending on what mag system they are designed for.

I know you say your bolt is supposed to be 'both', but it sure as fuk sounds like this is your problem, the mag feed lips are contacting the bolt as it goes into battery, this also explains why you are having 'some' success when you lower the adapter block, effectively lowering the mag feed lips in relation to the bolt.

I've modified quite a few of these bolts so that they work with Glock mags, only way I've found to sort this issue.

Glcok mag.jpg

Thanks for the info. I might have to do some trimming.

• 4 weeks later...

The bolt will not even clear a pmag with no follower or spring. Even with 5oz buffer and 308 carbine spring it will run sometime with the mag block lowered. Fired out of battery. Grendel barrel and bcg are on the way. No wonder midway had these uppers on closeout for $219. Seemed like a fun idea but I'm tired of screwing with this.

2019-02-12 15.46.22.jpg

6 hours ago, shooterrex said:

The bolt will not even clear a pmag with no follower or spring. Even with 5oz buffer and 308 carbine spring it will run sometime with the mag block lowered. Fired out of battery. Grendel barrel and bcg are on the way. No wonder midway had these uppers on closeout for $219. Seemed like a fun idea but I'm tired of screwing with this.

I've played with mine enough with the 3.250" buffers, even H3 buffers at 5.4oz - I went to the 8oz 9mm-specific buffer.  Threw one in the .45AR, too.  Blowback pistol cartridges are a bitch to tame in the AR platform.

28 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

I'll keep the parts and try to get this to run some other time.  The grendel sounds like more fun at the moment.

Oh, it is...   :thumbup:

Get with me on your plan -post it up.  I'm on #5 now.  I can give you loads, drops at distance, whatever.  It's a magical cartridge. 

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Oh, it is...   :thumbup:

Get with me on your plan -post it up.  I'm on #5 now.  I can give you loads, drops at distance, whatever.  It's a magical cartridge. 

BCS 16" fluted barrel and BCG. Low profile gas block (that was on the 9mm upper). 15" M lock rail. The 9mm upper doesnt have a forward assist but i can live without that I think. Have 500 rnds of wolf fmj and 100 rounds of hornady black on the way . ACS Mags also on the way. Haven't bought dies yet. Havent figured out glass yet. I have some scopes sitting around here somewhere. But nothing for long range.

Edited by shooterrex
fat fingers