• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AMU rifles

This is a picture of SFC Brandon Green of the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU)who fired a perfect score in the Presidents Cup 100. I thought it might be interesting to take a close look at the rifle he used and see if we can find out about it. I have looked for information on the web about what type of rifles the AMU uses but not found much.

C233DF90-8574-4340-876E-6CE5B111296D.jpeg

Neighbor kid I babysat for builds and shoots rifles for competition in the Army, haven't seen him for years now but I know he could answer since he has built them. If I can find his sister maybe I can get in touch, MSG Michael Hester in one of the last pictures. Little bastard always had an eye, he was lethal in snowball and apple fights!

https://thecmp.org/anticipated-long-range-national-matches-return-met-with-success-in-2018/

I've built and worked on a few of these at Camp Perry.

But the basic design of the "Service Rifle" is it looks like a standard M16.

They have loosened up on some of the rules and they are able to change stocks and some cosmetic looks.

The rifles I would work on or sell were ArmaLite M15 National Match rifles.

1/8 twist, SS, free float barrel, with a 2 stage trigger adjusted to as light or as low as it was legal (they were weighed and marked).

The lower and upper were just standard.

1 hour ago, mrraley said:

They have loosened up on some of the rules and they are able to change stocks and some cosmetic looks.

1/8 twist, SS, free float barrel, with a 2 stage trigger adjusted to as light or as low as it was legal (they were weighed and marked).

Wait.....who is that guy?:lmao:

On 2/28/2019 at 1:14 PM, mrraley said:

Thanks Pat! They ever do any thing with AR10’s?

Edited by Sisco

8 hours ago, mrraley said:

Pretty damn good to see you posting.  Now, stick with it and come around...  You are still owed a trip out here...   :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Yes, they do.  They were behind the .260 Rem push, before SOCOM lost their minds and went 65C.

I remember that, but I heard they weren't satisfied with their foray into 260 Remington with AR10’s. I would really like to see more on that. Even sent the AMU Facebook page a message to that effect.

The ArmaLite AR-10 was the first 7.62 / .308 that was allowed in competition at Camp Perry with the help of the AMU.

I used to supply parts to the AMU for their AR-10 builds also.

Part of the reason that the AR-10 was allowed as a "service rifle" is that it was shortly after the ARMY adopting the SASS.

Edited by mrraley
add info

13 hours ago, mrraley said:

For quite a while, Lothar Walther made the match barrels. Not sure who does them now.

Pat , do you know if the Army ever rebarreled some for the 260 Remington? I read that someplace years ago. 

Also, they had good success with the AR10 if I remember correctly.

Edited by Sisco

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:49 AM, Sisco said:

Pat , do you know if the Army ever rebarreled some for the 260 Remington? I read that someplace years ago. 

Also, they had good success with the AR10 if I remember correctly.

I am not sure if the AMU did it or not. I do know ArmaLite did .260 and a .300 SAUM for a brief time, but was having troubles with the proper gas port sizing and getting it to run reliably.

The last time I spoke with the AMU, they were still using .308's  "across the board" in NRA Service Rifle competition and had a good recipe for loading their rounds. I tried to get that recipe, but it was being kept under lock and key.  

The AR-10NM was and is a bootiful rifle that would shoot MOA all day long.

35 minutes ago, mrraley said:

I am not sure if the AMU did it or not. I do know ArmaLite did .260 and a .300 SAUM for a brief time, but was having troubles with the proper gas port sizing and getting it to run reliably.

The last time I spoke with the AMU, they were still using .308's  "across the board" in NRA Service Rifle competition and had a good recipe for loading their rounds. I tried to get that recipe, but it was being kept under lock and key.  

The AR-10NM was and is a bootiful rifle that would shoot MOA all day long.

Thanks Pat. I had heard on another forum the AMU experimented with AR10’s in 260 Remington, but had undisclosed issues. Don’t know if that is teuthor just hearsay. Wish I had bought one of the AR10 NM’s. Had a forum member that sold one a few years ago. I am happy with my AR10T carbine and will never sell it. I got it when Surgeon closed out all their “B” discontinued models through CDNN.