• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Problem finding buffer tube for an adjustable stock

GlennD

I recently purchased a DPMS  Panther Arms LR-GII Hunter with a 20" barrel chambered in .243. No one seems to be able to locate the right buffer tube. They keep sending me, what appears to be AR-15 tube, which are too short. My buffer tube has an overall length of 9 7/8" not counting the "removal nut" attached to the end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post a picture of your rifle?

What stock is on there now?

It sounds like you have a rifle length buffer system and want to change to a carbine length.  You will need an entirely different tube, buffer and spring.  If that is correct, this will work.  There are other options but some do not work.

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

There were 7 in stock when I looked.  They sell out frequently.

10 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Can you post a picture of your rifle?

What stock is on there now?

It sounds like you have a rifle length buffer system and want to change to a carbine length.  You will need an entirely different tube, buffer and spring.  If that is correct, this will work.  There are other options but some do not work.

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

There were 7 in stock when I looked.  They sell out frequently.

Here is a picture of my current buffer tube (long tube) and the one Brownell's sent (short tube). Here's where my lack of knowledge comes in.....I'm almost certain I have a rifle length buffer system. I'm not necessarily trying to change from a rifle length system to a carbine system. I'm just wanting to upgrade to an adjustable stock.

20190305_051019.jpg

23 minutes ago, GlennD said:

Here is a picture of my current buffer tube (long tube) and the one Brownell's sent (short tube). Here's where my lack of knowledge comes in.....I'm almost certain I have a rifle length buffer system. I'm not necessarily trying to change from a rifle length system to a carbine system. I'm just wanting to upgrade to an adjustable stock.

20190305_051019.jpg

So to do this you absolutely need to change the tube. The one that Eyedoc linked or the complete kit Cliff has should do the trick. Or take an internal measurement of the tube brownells sent along with measurements of any spring and buffer that may have come with it.  

All adjustable stocks need a different receiver extension from a rifle length set up to function properly. You cannot re use your buffer or spring.

7 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I removed the factory 6 position stock and put an A2 stock on my DPMS Oracle AR-10 when I pulled it out of the box.  I those are the parts you are looking for PM me, they will never get used here.......Cliff

Sir, you should use proper terms when describing parts. We harp on this because it matters when swapping parts out. There is no such thing as a DPMS Oracle AR-10. There is a DPMS Oracle in .308. There are AR-10’s produced by Armalite. Their respective parts cannot be interchanged. We use proper terminology to avoid confusion. Thanks- management 

11 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

So to do this you absolutely need to change the tube. The one that Eyedoc linked or the complete kit Cliff has should do the trick. Or take an internal measurement of the tube brownells sent along with measurements of any spring and buffer that may have come with it.  

All adjustable stocks need a different receiver extension from a rifle length set up to function properly. You cannot re use your buffer or spring.

Thanks for the input. The guy at Brownell's said I could use my old spring. (Obviously not) I only needed the tube, locking washer and castle nut. I had previously purchased the complete tube assembly from Bud's. Everything fit just fine, but the bolt wouldn't retract all the way.

So here’s where we would need measurements. Many companies sell complete kits with the wrong parts. A full DPMS set up like Cliff has or a complete Armalite kit like Doc suggests will work because they are the only two manufacturers who have it figured out. So many others don’t understand. Let us know what you have and we can help.

This is stolen from Heavybuffers.com, Slash has it down!

421F51B2-7FFA-4144-8F10-A57885BC981E.jpeg

12 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

So here’s where we would need measurements. Many companies sell complete kits with the wrong parts. A full DPMS set up like Cliff has or a complete Armalite kit like Doc suggests will work because they are the only two manufacturers who have it figured out. So many others don’t understand. Let us know what you have and we can help.

This is stolen from Heavybuffers.com, Slash has it down!

421F51B2-7FFA-4144-8F10-A57885BC981E.jpeg

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered what Doc suggested. However, it didn't indicate if it was Mil-Spec or commercial. I already have a Mil-Spec stock.

"Sir, you should use proper terms when describing parts. We harp on this because it matters when swapping parts out. There is no such thing as a DPMS Oracle AR-10. There is a DPMS Oracle in .308. There are AR-10’s produced by Armalite. Their respective parts cannot be interchanged. We use proper terminology to avoid confusion. Thanks- management"

Understood, didn't mean to confuse anyone, even folks selling them call them AR-10's:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/dpms-oracle-ar-10-semi-automatic-308-winchester-762-nato-16-heavy-barrel-201-rounds?a=1783335

.....but as I found out after building two custom 308-AR's and trading for the Oracle to end up with a third rifle........there are some similarities, some parts interchange, and some parts do not.

Wished I would have found this site before I dove into 308-AR's and not a couple of years later..........Cliff

1 hour ago, Cliff R said:

Understood, didn't mean to confuse anyone, even folks selling them call them AR-10's:

True that! Used to be Armalite would call them on it but that ended years ago now, strictly buyer beware these days. I had just finished sending Odin Works an email asking them why they called their new buffer an "AR-10" carbine buffer when it is an LR308 carbine buffer, one of the parts that causes the most issues for people.

19 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I removed the factory 6 position stock and put an A2 stock on my DPMS Oracle AR-10 when I pulled it out of the box.  I those are the parts you are looking for PM me, they will never get used here.......Cliff

Thanks Cliff. If what I ordered doesn't work, we can compare notes on what I have vs what you have. If what you have will work, we'll go from there.

14 minutes ago, GlennD said:

Thanks Cliff. If what I ordered doesn't work, we can compare notes on what I have vs what you have. If what you have will work, we'll go from there.

If it does not work for you, I will buy it from you for what you paid plus the shipping it takes to get it here since I recommended it to you.

12 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

If it does not work for you, I will buy it from you for what you paid plus the shipping it takes to get it here since I recommended it to you.

I'm not that concerned about it Doc, If you want it, ok. Otherwise I'll send it back. By the way, you asked for a picture of what I had. I didn't have one this morning so I just took one.

LR GII Hunter.jpg

4 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

4 hours ago, GlennD said:

I'm not that concerned about it Doc, If you want it, ok. Otherwise I'll send it back.

Doc is offering you a money-back guarantee, straight from himself, because he's the one that recommended it to you and gave you his word on it...   :thumbup:

Status update: I received my latest and greatest buffer tube assembly today. After doing a loose fit up, fit and function seem  to be fine. The bolt completely retracts and locks in place like it should. And appears to retract to the same position as the factory tube assembly. Thanks everyone for your input, advice and knowledge. You all know your shi.....stuff.....?

• 2 weeks later...