• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wilson combat

08sniper

8 minutes ago, 08sniper said:

As of today no response

Whatever their response is, it'll be interesting to see - please post it. 

The bottom line is this - the gas tube ends at the center of the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver - look at ANY AR15, and that's what you'll find, because there's apublished pattern for that, and it's the Colt Technical Data Package (TDP) from military contracts. It goes way deeper than that, though, back to the development of the system, back to Armalite  There are some larger-frame manufacturers that think this doesn't matter.  Large Frame has two gas systems - DPMS-based, which uses AR15 gas tubes, and gas tube lengths (and gas port locations). Armalite AR-10-based, which use gas tubes developed and made for the larger height-over-bore of a .308, over the AR15 - and the gas tubes are longer, with a gas port in a different location.  That comes from the inventor of the rifle, Eugene Stoner. He developed that, and it was first, before the AR15.  On average,AR-10 gas tubes are 3/16" longer than AR15 gas tubes, as well as having different bends in them, for the height-over-bore differences.

These days, there are barrel manufacturers that think they'll just make a gas port that's half way in between AR15 specs, and the Armalite AR-10 dimensions - then, you as the user, can buy whatever gas tube that hits your door, and it'll work for most of the people, with most of the ammo, most of the time. It's easy to NOT stick with a spec, either AR15 or AR-10, and it works most of the time.

Gas TIMING is what's affected most with this "issue of port location."  But, it's no big deal, according to the "halfway people."  You should have gas pressure to the bolt carrier gas key until that gas key clears the mid-point of that cam pin cutout.  At that point, the excess gas vents, when the gas key separates from the end of the gas tube.  You run a short gas tube, and you stop that gas pressure before it was intended to be stopped, by the designer of the platform. 

Now, combine a buffer that's too light, a spring that everybody makes to NO SPEC, and manufacturer off the street that thought they'd jump in this Large Frame Game, you get a receiver extension that's 0.100" too long in internal depth...  and let's top that off with a gas port that's to small...

You have a gun that doesn't run - due to all that stuff combined.  It will suck, on any ammo.

I've geeked out on recoil systems for these things for a long time.  Done the same with gas system specs (or lack of specs), and this "halfway" gas port location, which is bullshiit.  We measure hammer lock-time in milliseconds.  It matters, for accuracy.  And there are manufacturers out there that are ignoring proper gas system length - which affects the entire bolt-unlocking and extraction process BY MILLISECONDS...  and it's no big deal...  they say...

It makes a difference.

Adjustable gas has two purposes - regulate between suppressed and unsuppressed, so you're not beating up gun parts when you add your can.  Next, race guns, where the follow-up shots have to be super-fast, and the gun has to be fast/flat shooting.  They tailor a load based on competition numbers (power factor), then they cut that gas down so that load barely even functions the rifle.  Crazy lightweight buffers and BCGs, super springs, adjustable gas...  Everything in both systems (recoil and gas) gets cut in weight and pressure (gas pressure and spring pressure).

Rack-grade rifles from manufacturers are not race guns. They need to function with great ammo and crap ammo, in all weather conditions, even if the shooter isn't shouldering it properly and doesn't have the stock planted in the pocket of the shoulder (effectively "limp-wristing" it by not giving it a foundation to recoil off of).

I have no suppressors - yet. I don't own a single adjustable gas block, either.  My rifles need to function on any ammo, but they need to function, number one.  I only had to change one up completely, because I bought a bunch of quality factory parts - that weren't right.  Took me quite some time to determine what the issues were, too.  After that, I learned my lesson, and carefully selected allmy recoil system and gas system parts, and I really payed attention to gas port diameter.  I was bound and determined not to repeat the mistakes I made trusting a big-name manufacturer to get it right in the Big ARs.

I could benefit from adjustable gas blocks on all my rifles, because I reload - I tailor a load to each gun, so I could cut gas down.  Then, as soon as I need some ammo from wal-mart for something, the gun doesn't work...    Since everything else, hardware-wise, is correct, I don't need an adjustable block, because it's not recoiling like a fiend on me, and it'll run anything I throw in it...    

Edited by 98Z5V