• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

JP single piece gas ring vs MilSpec gas rings?

I bought one and never installed it. I have a similar one piece in my Ceratac build which I stretched to Armalite specs. The JP one piece is slightly smaller in diameter by default; and moves more freely. I personally thought it was a bit too free; which is why I bought one to compare the dimensions. 

In the end; the JP Enterprises part was the exact same measurement as the part I had started with (which I had already stretched larger by that time). I don't have any issue with the tighter gas ring I adjusted. I'm not even sure what to compare if I tried installing the JP Enterprises part. Might have to crank out my adjustable gas block 1/8th turn?

It is a functional option; but be aware of the OD and ID on the part for your own peace of mind.

6 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I have McFarland rings in a couple 308’s and a couple AR15’s, never had a problem with them but then never had a problem with standard rings either. Armalite used to put them in all their AR-10’s so they must have seen a benefit.

Ive only had to change one set of gas rings on an AR15 and that was on my Colt 6920 after 7500 rounds, they wernt totally shot but I replaced them anyways. I wonder what benefits these single piece rings offer?

Edited by JF89

3 minutes ago, Lane said:

I bought one and never installed it. I have a similar one piece in my Ceratac build which I stretched to Armalite specs. The JP one piece is slightly smaller in diameter by default; and moves more freely. I personally thought it was a bit too free; which is why I bought one to compare the dimensions. 

In the end; the JP Enterprises part was the exact same measurement as the part I had started with (which I had already stretched larger by that time). I don't have any issue with the tighter gas ring I adjusted. I'm not even sure what to compare if I tried installing the JP Enterprises part. Might have to crank out my adjustable gas block 1/8th turn?

It is a functional option; but be aware of the OD and ID on the part for your own peace of mind.

Are they more durable, longer lasting or what? I mean why would somebody go with one of these over standard spec?

2 minutes ago, JF89 said:

Are they more durable, longer lasting or what? I mean why would somebody go with one of these over standard spec?

From what I can the the "enhancement" is the smaller diameter in the case of the JP part. It makes it move more freely; though I don't know if any more or less gas blows by in the process. 

I stretched my other McFarland style ring because I wanted more friction. I didn't like how the bolt slid in and out without any friction at all; which is how the JP part would operate from what I can tell. I can dig up the measurement differences for you if you like. I still have one JP Enhanced ring new in the bag; in a box, hidden in a drawer. 

6 hours ago, JF89 said:

I wonder what benefits these single piece rings offer?

You don't have to worry about the slots lining up and losing gas pressure is the biggest "advantage" I see, not that that has ever caused me an issue. There has been a trend in the industry to undersize the rings to lower the gas pressure, just doesn't seem right to me, I want the tail of my bolt to stay as square as possible in the carrier, lots of other more conventional ways to lower pressure.

The one piece gas ring was a solution for a problem that neve existed...

Now you will hear things like... "if the standard ones line up the gaps, you'll have problems" Well, I'm here to tell ya, I've shot my rifle with 1 gas ring in it and never had a problem or issue. After a range session, take your BCG apart and look at the rings. I'll bet at least two are lined up if not all three at least close.

Do they wear out? Yes they do.  But... that's because of you. Clean your carrier and get the carbon chunks out of it.  

Now on the competition side of this rifle thing, the one piece gas ring has become a norm. Less chance of anything to go wrong. (what ever). Shooter error will always exist.

But it is a good piece of mind and helps you think good thoughts.

On the .308 side of this gas ring thing. For the longest time, McFarland one piece gas rings were the ONLY gas rings and that's what ArmaLite used. These other companies that have started making there own line of gas rings is all trial and error right now. Since there is no set sizing out there and not two are alike, you are going to run into a wide variation of diameters and might have to go through a hand full in order to find a good fit.

So is there a good answer for the gas ring dilemma... NO.  It's all in what makes you feel comfortable or warm and fuzzy inside.    

3 hours ago, mrraley said:

The one piece gas ring was a solution for a problem that neve existed...

Now you will hear things like... "if the standard ones line up the gaps, you'll have problems" Well, I'm here to tell ya, I've shot my rifle with 1 gas ring in it and never had a problem or issue. After a range session, take your BCG apart and look at the rings. I'll bet at least two are lined up if not all three at least close.

Do they wear out? Yes they do.  But... that's because of you. Clean your carrier and get the carbon chunks out of it.  

Now on the competition side of this rifle thing, the one piece gas ring has become a norm. Less chance of anything to go wrong. (what ever). Shooter error will always exist.

But it is a good piece of mind and helps you think good thoughts.

On the .308 side of this gas ring thing. For the longest time, McFarland one piece gas rings were the ONLY gas rings and that's what ArmaLite used. These other companies that have started making there own line of gas rings is all trial and error right now. Since there is no set sizing out there and not two are alike, you are going to run into a wide variation of diameters and might have to go through a hand full in order to find a good fit.

So is there a good answer for the gas ring dilemma... NO.  It's all in what makes you feel comfortable or warm and fuzzy inside.    

👍

If you have very tight fitting gas rings and you are looking for something that has less drag. I do have a simple modification you can try out on your current gas rings that will make the tension less without replacing them. If you go to far you would need to just replace them anyway or the rings will be just will be filling the air gap between the bolt but still might function or might not.

You can reduce the diameter of the gas ring and lessen the tension by using a dremel hand tool and the sanding wheel attachment https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/446-1-4-240-grit-sanding-bands-6-pack.  I hold the bolt in one hand with one finger pushing the gas rings toward myself so the rings are sticking out. I then use the dremel tool sanding wheel at medium speed and lightly touch the gas rings. The sanding wheel makes the gas rings spin and at the same time takes away a small amount of metal from the gas rings at the same time. Finger pressure is just enough to keep the rings to one side but not enough to keep them from spinning.  Do it  a little, spray with a break cleaner or something and try it in your bolt. You will notice a reduction in tension. Keep doing it until you are happy with the fit. Its a lot faster than shooting several hundreds or more rounds of ammo.

Is it perfect circle? I can't tell the difference nor measure it. I have the tension set on so it holds the bolt from falling out but if I shake it, then I have to pick it up.