• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New short barrelled upper

Dexterity

18 minutes ago, Dexterity said:

Thoughts on a barrel this short for the . 308? 

It's fine.  I have one that's 13.5", and I just tested it out to 400 yards, with a red dot, a couple weeks ago. @jtallen83 has a couple 12.5" .308s, @Rsquared has a 12.5" .308 SBR.  They're out there and they run when built right.     <<<  I'll just leave that bolded text right there...

22 minutes ago, Dexterity said:

Thoughts on a barrel this short for the . 308?

I have two, one Sig 716 piston and built another with the Sig barrel converted to DI. The DI version has been very reliable and shoots soft and smooth. The 716 beats the crap out of you comparatively and is a jam-o-matic before you hit 100 rounds. Most relevant thought is get a can for maximum enjoyment but the DI gun isn't that unpleasant with a shield installed on the muzzle, AAc sells one that fits my adapter, Used the Noveske version at a time it it worked good to get the blast directed forward.

Edited by jtallen83
more clarity

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

It's fine.  I have one that's 13.5", and I just tested it out to 400 yards, with a red dot, a couple weeks ago. @jtallen83 has a couple 12.5" .308s, @Rsquared has a 12.5" .308 SBR.  They're out there and they run when built right.     <<<  I'll just leave that bolded text right there...

I’ve shot this 13.7” and @Rsquared‘s 12.5” AR10. Shot the shit outta both of them. For a sub 300 yard battle rifle, it’s the perfect length. 

1 minute ago, Dexterity said:

Define built right if you please. I plan on shortening my PA-10 and was wondering how short i could go, hunt with it, and not destroy my shoulder. Thanks. 

You want me to be brutally honest here?

Don't buy that PSA 12.5" upper, no matter what kind of good deal it looks like, unless you want to invest some time in it and make it right.  The track record is already there on small gas ports, wrong gas tubes, weak recoil systems, in their .308AR platforms, most prominently in the 18" midlength gas setups they sell.  They can't get the recoil system right on a carbine recoil system, no matter how many iterations they've thrown at it.  If you're willing to put in the work, drill up the gas port, change out the gas tube to a proper-length (as you can get) gas tube, and make a recoil system that will work on a short-barreled .308 - then get it.  If you're not going to do that - then just piece your own together from known, reputable parts.

There it is.   My $0.02...   :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't buy that PSA 12.5" upper, no matter what kind of good deal it looks like, unless you want to invest some time in it and make it right.  The track record is already there on small gas ports, wrong gas tubes, weak recoil systems, in their .308AR platforms, most prominently in the 18" midlength gas setups they sell.  They can't get the recoil system right on a carbine recoil system, no matter how many iterations they've thrown at it.  If you're willing to put in the work, drill up the gas port, change out the gas tube to a proper-length (as you can get) gas tube, and make a recoil system that will work on a short-barreled .308 - then get it.  If you're not going to do that - then just piece your own together from known, reputable parts.

There it is.   My $0.02...   :thumbup:

I might be willing to put the work in if the price is right. Is there a way to use what i have to get a pistol length/SBR upper together that will work with psa's lower? 

1 minute ago, Dexterity said:

I might be willing to put the work in if the price is right. Is there a way to use what i have to get a pistol length/SBR upper together that will work with psa's lower? 

Does your lower have a buttstock already?  Post a pic of your lower. 

5165451341.jpg

No way in hell - not even legal, in any aspect.  If you buy that 12.5" upper, and mate it to that lower receiver (with a buttstock), then you just created an illegal Short Barreled Rifle...

No, you cannot not add a pistol brace to that lower.  There's an ATF law that states "once a pistol, always a pistol, once a rifle, always a rifle."  That lower receiver was manufactured, and transferred to the FFL, as a complete rifle lower receiver.  Period. Full Stop.  Zero changing that, ever.  That's what it is. Because it was manufactured with a buttstock, and it was manufactured and registered by PSA ,with the ATF, when they made it.  That serial number is a registered gun - a rifle.

You ever add an upper that has a barrel length less than 16" to that, even pin it together in your house to see what it looks like, and in the eyes of the ATF, "you created an illegal Short Barreled Rifle."  That is the law.

You need to start with a fresh lower receiver, and assemble it as a "pistol" as it's first configuration, ever.  There is go getting around that.  You're betting your entire life on getting caught, and if you're caught, you will be a convicted felon.  Consider that -no more gun ownership for the rest of your life...  It's not worth it...

Edited by 98Z5V

You know what I just noticed about this PSA link that you provided in the first post?   How wrong they are, from a LEGAL standpoint.  They just can't get it right...   :laffs:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-12-carbine-length-308-win-1-10-stainless-steel-10-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-and-ch.html?avad=18199_f161ac071&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=ale

You advertise something with a barrel less than 16" on a rifle, less than 18" on a shotgun, then you MUST INCLUDE the statement "ALL NFA RULES APPLY" in your advertisement or publication of that article, ad, or posting...   THAT is the warning to the consumer, and it's mandated... 

They just posted a 12.5" barreled upper, and they DID NOT NOTIFY THEIR CUSTOMERS that "All NFA Rules Apply" in that posting...  You have to be kidding me...  They can't possibly be that stupid...   :lmao:

And yet, that just happened...  :banana:

I hope Josiah is still reading this board, and fixes that - before they fuk over customers that don't know better, and were not warned...   :thumbup:

PSA = Creating Felons nationwide...

Edited by 98Z5V

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I missed that, either keep that a rifle or pay the man $200  wait and get permission to cross state lines. My shorties both have stabilizing braces instead of a stock.

This...

Spend the money on the correct parts from the beginning. Get yourself a pistol receiver, with a pistol brace. Buy your matching upper and enjoy the freedom of a pistol. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 8:53 PM, Dexterity said:

I got an email about 5 hours ago and its already sold out!

It was probably sold out before you ever got that email! PSA is bad about putting out emails with sales on schit that's not in stock, I've caught them at it many times.