• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Miscellaneous reflections on my AR’s and M1

Sisco

With the Wisconsin get together a great memory now, it was also a great opportunity to pull some of my rifles out a give them a serious ringing out they hadn’t had for a while. The following are just some miscellaneous reflections on some of the equipment, and my likes and dislikes, and things I might change.

My two AR10’s both shot great except for two hiccups due to poorly sized, very old reloaded cases. And while I really like the Primary Arms 1x6 I have on my AR10 T carbine, I think I might be switching it off in the near future. The reason? The reticule, while really versatile, is so “busy” it makes it difficult to really precision shoot. The center dot is too big, and there is a lot to analyze through that eyepiece. And on a refined target model like the AR10T,  it Doesn’t allow use of the rifle’s full capabilities. If this was being carried as a field rifle, the scope is excellent. By contrast, My Colt HBAR 5.56 with a cheapo Firefield 1x6 with a first focal plane Mil Plex reticle allowed way more precise groups. I think I might end up getting a nicer version of that from a good manufacturer for the AR10 T and put the PA on something else. It would be great on an ultra light 308 16” Carbine. This is in no way a criticism of the PA. My requirements have changed. Now I am more of a bench rest shooter, and not lugging an AR in the field very much. If I was, the Primary Arms scope would stay on there. 

My AR10 standard rifle, I ain’t gonna mess with. That Nikon Monarch 4x16 scope in combination with 168 gr BTHPs makes that a tack driver.

The Colt HBAR mentioned above comes into its own with the 75 gr Hornady BTHP’s and it’s 1 in 7 twist.  It is fully capable of 1/2 MOA groups. I think I even printed a few. That $135 Firefield scope is really impressive. Except being first focal plane, the crosshairs disappear at 1 power unless you turn the lighted reticle on. Other then that it is really good.

My M1A shot well, but having the high Bassett Machine Co. picitiny mount so I can still use the iron sights has one drawback. Even with low profile rings and a leather cheek pad, you cannot get a good cheek weld. I will either switch to a Bassett low profile mount or look at better cheek comb options. Might even make my own. I have an old Delta cheek rest for the M16 with a fixed carry handle For use with a high mount scope. I think I will see if I can adapt it. The Burriss E1 Fullfield 3x9 scope works well with it, but I might put that back on the AR10T.

lastly, I had some primer strike failures with my Radical Arms 300 Blackout near the end of shooting. I haven’t stripped it yet, but I am suspecting a damaged firing pin. Other then that it was quite accurate and really fun to shoot with the subsonic stuff. The bargain priced Bushnell 1x6 does the job, but would be better with a lighted reticle.

Edited by Sisco

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

It would be great on an ultra light 308 16” Carbine. 

Sounds like a good excuse for a build 👍

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

lastly, I had some primer strike failures with my Radical Arms 300 Blackout near the end of shooting.

No primer strike is what ended my BO’s thousand rounds without cleaning run. There was carbon packed into the front portion of the firing pin channel, cleaned it out and no issue since. Amazing how much gunk a suppressor deposits. 

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

lastly, I had some primer strike failures with my Radical Arms 300 Blackout near the end of shooting. I haven’t stripped it yet, but I am suspecting a damaged firing pin. Other then that it was quite accurate and really fun to shoot with the subsonic stuff. The bargain priced Bushnell 1x6 does the job, but would be better with a lighted reticle.

Also - whach for primers that were set too deep - that's gonna cause a light primer strike, or no primer strike. Hard to do to the 5.56 case, but it can be done, brother.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

No primer strike is what ended my BO’s thousand rounds without cleaning run. There was carbon packed into the front portion of the firing pin channel, cleaned it out and no issue since. Amazing how much gunk a suppressor deposits. 

Good point JT I was shooting it nothing but suppressed. And it was a particularly dirty subsonic ammo that started it doing it. Thanks I will check it.

17 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Sure enough, I pulled the firing pin, and while caked with crud, it was intact. I held the bolt up to see if I could see daylight through the firing pin hole. Nope. Tried to blow it out, no luck. Straightened a paper clip out and reamed a hell of a lot of carbon and,gunk out of the firing pin sleeve. Think it will be fine now..

17 hours ago, Sisco said:

Sure enough, I pulled the firing pin, and while caked with crud, it was intact. I held the bolt up to see if I could see daylight through the firing pin hole. Nope. Tried to blow it out, no luck. Straightened a paper clip out and reamed a hell of a lot of carbon and,gunk out of the firing pin sleeve. Think it will be fine now..

A pipe cleaner is good for cleaning out the firing pin holes too.

15 hours ago, mineralman55 said:

You want dirty girls?

Image result for dirty girls

They are so lovely...  I love them all...

Here's my special edition Matco creeper from about 2011 or 2012...   I don't use it much, because I want her around forever...    :banana::laffs:

P1080124.thumb.JPG.e45d0604032e6452b65397978c734ce2.JPG

On 6/19/2019 at 9:17 PM, 98Z5V said:

They are so lovely...  I love them all...

Here's my special edition Matco creeper from about 2011 or 2012...   I don't use it much, because I want her around forever...    :banana::laffs:

P1080124.thumb.JPG.e45d0604032e6452b65397978c734ce2.JPG

Ain’t that the chick with the chainsaw?  Looks like the same shoot. 

Just now, DNP said:

Ain’t that the chick with the chainsaw?  Looks like the same shoot. 

She was built just like that, and got muddy - but she was a crazy blonde.  The saving grace in my buying that creeper was safety - that was a brunette on the creeper... :laffs: