• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

ORC Handguards question

AZshootin

Hi folks,

Please pardon me if I make any mistakes, I'm very new to the .308 and to this board.

The rifle I bought is this:

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog-308ORC.asp

I'm wanting to change out the hand guards over to a free floating rail system and I am having a heck of a time finding what will work as well as what ill need.

Two major questions I have are:

-Will I need to change the gas block on the front?

-Will I need to change the gas tube as well?

It seems like there is some confusion on the upper height for the Bushmaster ORC. Ive done some reading and I've managed to confuse myself even more. Can anyone tell me what I'm looking for when shopping around for a rail system that will line up? Will anything mid length DPSM fit if I change the gas block?

Thanks in advance for any info and my apologies if this has been covered before or if there was a guide I missed.

Hey AZ,

The BM 308 ORC has a mid-length gas system. (BM is now owned by DPMS, you can look for DPMS parts)

Really the first question is what length of Free Float Rail are you planning on getting. Do you want to cover the gas block? Put a cap on the end of the rail? or just leave it open? Its possible that the ground down FSB may fit inside a rail, but I have not tried or measured it either. Regardless, the placement of the gas block and the gas tube will remain the same, you just need to ensure the rail will go over the gas block or FSB. look at both MidwayUSA, and Brownells. Both companies have large inventories and are reasonably priced.

Let me know how I can help,

Jeff

Fill me in on what you would like as an end result and I can get you pointed in the right direction.

Replacing the FSB and gas block is not a difficult task if that will give you the result you are looking for.

When looking for your rail

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Your help is greatly appreciated.

The main issues I am trying to remedy is, how loose the stock hand guards are. It just makes the rifle feel "cheesy" and more importantly id like to convert over to a free float rail so that I can use a rail mount iron sight system.

As far as the hand guard itself id be looking for something somewhat economical. The length I would prefer is to cover the gas block or at least close. I'm not opposed to modifying or replacing the gas block (If it isn't totally covered).

Just having trouble finding handrails that will fit before I can evaluate the gas block situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I broke down and purchased the JP mid-length handguard which they list for the Bushmaster LR-308.  The only problem I have with it is that it leaves a gap of about a quarter inch between the hand guard and the gas block which I find unsightly.  As you can see I also installed a standard height rail-top adjustable gas block.

This has been rather frustrating for me because this is the handguard that JP lists for our rifle, but I do not appreciate the gap between it and the gas block (understatement...).  If I decide to throw in the towel and install a standard length hand guard (which I will probably do)  then I'll also need to buy the low profile gas block to fit under it.  Great!  This whole set will be a waste and I'll have to set it aside for another build which kinda chaps my arse.  Actually, more than "kinda".

If you don't need the adjustable gas block (I did...another story in another thread) then get the rifle length JP unit and be happy.  I'm certain it, and most handguards, will fit over the cut down gas block that came with your rifle but you'll have to remove the sling swivel.

At any rate, I guess I need to see if this thing shoots before I go spending any more money on it:

original.jpg

Oly

I may have a simple remedy for you. Have you checked out the JP/VTAC handguard extensions? Just slide it into place and bolt it together. It leaves a spot in the top for you to still mount your front sight and have it poke up through the top of the handguard.

Drop one of THESE bad-boys on, and you'll completely forget about that little gap.

1093.jpg1094.jpg

I may have a simple remedy for you. Have you checked out the JP/VTAC handguard extensions? Just slide it into place and bolt it together. It leaves a spot in the top for you to still mount your front sight and have it poke up through the top of the handguard.

Drop one of THESE bad-boys on, and you'll completely forget about that little gap.

1093.jpg1094.jpg

An excellent suggestion, but unfortunately those two pieces are designed to work together and that extension does not bolt into a standard handguard.

Thanks for trying though.  :)

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am new to the AR world and I also have a Bushmater ORC 308. The factory handguards are disappointing to say the least. I am currently shopping around for new handguards (quad rail preferably but any tacti-cool would do). Reading some things online has me a little gun shy on buying the first thing I find. So I joined 308AR and here I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was originally looking for a two piece drop in but I am thinking a free float would be better.  I would like to cover the gas block if not too much work (or $).

My question is, has anybody found a reasonably priced ($200) FF handguard that will go over the factory gas block? Or do I need to get a low profile gas block if I want it covered? The factory one seams pretty low to me but like I said I am novice at best. I also have read on another thread that any magpul handguard will fit also.

Thanks for the help :)

Bigbolt, take a look at some of these. They look like they should fit over the ORC's gas block with no problem. They're going to cost a little more than $200 (for a rifle-length HG), but they are one of the least labor-intensive options for a FF tube.

http://www.apexhandguard.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974

hope the link works; first time trying it here...

• 2 years later...

Bigbolt, take a look at some of these. They look like they should fit over the ORC's gas block with no problem. They're going to cost a little more than $200 (for a rifle-length HG), but they are one of the least labor-intensive options for a FF tube.

http://www.apexhandguard.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&navt1=19974

hope the link works; first time trying it here...

I went with this freefloat tube for my 308 ORC.  I bought the carbide lenght for mine and replaced the gas block with an adjustable one.  I kind of wish now that I had gotten the 12.625" lenght tube.  That would definetly cover the gas block.

11658163893_228892d16b_b.jpg

• 1 year later...

Read this to make your determination:

Might require you calling the manufacturer, and finding our what their specs are, as it pertains to that ^^^ information.

EDIT - Thread started 4.5 years ago...

Edited by 98Z5V