• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR maintenance refresher

Sisco

16 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Have you ever been a GunShop owner or FFL Dealer ?    

Nope, I've been military most of my life, and I've been in the powersports industry since military retirement.  It was powersports (smaller engines, easier to work on) or the auto industry - my choice.  I'd rather pick up a 1000cc engine out of the frame, than lug a TH350 across a shop.  I've been a mechanic my whole fuckin' life, brother.  Big parts or smaller parts was MY choice. I've lugged enough transmissions and engines from trucks to realize that the smaller stuff is WAY easier on ME.

I can tell you THIS, though - someone brings me some muddy, fucked up machine for an oil change - I tell them - and HAVE TOLD THEM - I'm not working on that machine, until you take it to some car wash and CLEAN IT.  I'm not working on that.  You BRING IT TO ME IN A MANNER TO WORK ON IT, for the work you're requesting, and I'll do that work - But I'm NOT working on it like that.  They either clean it and come back - or they don't. I'm not working on their neglected shiit. I'm not at a lack for work.  You don't bring in your machine for "routine maintenance" in order for me to clean that neglected piece of shiit for you - YOU clean YOUR machine.  Not my job.  My job is to fix your fucked up shiit - which is usually from a lack of maintenance, and you broke it.  You dust your engine?  I'll clean the insides, of the debris you made, during the engine rebuild.

So, that's worked out for me, and I'm not starving.  Were you starving?...

Don't tell me how to run a business - I've been successful at it, with what I do. I'm still doing it, and I haven't changed my ways.

Tell me this, @survivalshop - you're in that world of engines.  You ever take your Harley out on a long ride, that went nasty?  Bike all grimey and shiit?  You EVER think about taking your bike into the local Harley dealer that you love, and pull into the Service Department, and tell the Service Writer "Detail my bike, it's all fucked up and dirty..."

Yeah.  No, you've never done that - 'cause you'd get your ass laughed out of there.  Clean your OWN bike.  Clean your OWN gun, man.

I'm not that hard up for work, that I'm gonna clean someone's dirtyass, neglected gun.  Doesn't matter what I'd charge that fuckhead for it.

Take my $0.02 for what it's worth - but don't try to talk down to me and tell me I need to clean someone's fucked up guns for money, because "that's the way it is."  That will only be the way it is, because YOU, as the FFL and Gunsmith, decided that was the way you were gonna do it, to make money. 

On 7/29/2019 at 11:06 PM, 98Z5V said:

Hey, SS - do me a favor. Call White Oak Armory or Fulton Armory and ask them how much it costs to send your gun to them for "cleaning..."    :thumbup:

I'm SURE you'll get an answer... but you might not like it.   That's not what they do...   :lmao:

17 hours ago, survivalshop said:

Have you ever been a GunShop owner or FFL Dealer ?    

Thanks for the answer, by the way - I noticed that you avoided answering my question, but I expected that.  Pride fucked with you, and you couldn't answer it - or you didn't want to. Nice deflection, though.  I hope my answer back to YOU was sufficient for YOU, though.  :thumbup:

May not be relevant, but when I was my P.D.'s armorer I didn't clean other officers' guns. If they brought a gun to me with a problem and it was dirty I always told them to go clean the thing and bring it back. Cops are some of the worst at cleaning their weapons!

98, I didn't take what SS said as a jab at you, or what you do. Most gunsmiths will clean guns for customers....easy cash for them when they don't have better things to do. I learned a lot from a deceased gunsmith that loved hunting season.....he would make BANK by cleaning the solidified WD40 out of the idiots shotguns for them. And they were happy to have him do it,may for it, sit in the bar a block down the street, and redo the whole thing every year.

If you have set yourself up to not do cleaning for customers, cool beans. Good call on your part. Some may not have the customer population available to make such a move.....that was part of my friends' necessity to do cleanings....for the leaner times of the year.

And as an aside, I actually tell my local bike dealer to not waste their time on cleaning my bike for me when in for some service work. If you ride them, they just get dirty again. And, if it is THAT dirty, I will clean for the tech.....

4 hours ago, Lane said:

how do you define what is clean or dirty? How clean is clean?

Grandpa never cleaned a thing, fresh shot of WD40 on whatever was sticking, blow down the barrel, take a look and go shooting. My Father who taught me what clean was is a whole different matter. If he got the slightest smudge on a patch from anywhere on the weapon it was not clean and I had to start over, kinda like the company armorer. Clean is a relative term but a person knows dirty when he sees it.