• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR maintenance refresher

Sisco

3 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

When you set aside the MRAD for being dirty, I call dibs.  I'll clean it and get it back eventually.:evil:

He actually cleaned that Big Hooker after last Fall Shoot...   :thumbup::banana:

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 4:49 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

When you set aside the MRAD for being dirty, I call dibs.  I'll clean it and get it back eventually.:evil:

I cleaned a Barrett M82 50 caliber rifle for one of Lance's customer's years ago it was so nasty ! I have never liked to clean any guns since.

2 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

I cleaned a Barrett M82 50 caliber rifle for one of Lance's customer's years ago it was so nasty ! I have never liked to clean any guns since.

As a gun shop owner, I'd never clean a gun for a customer, ever. Fuk that.  You run the gun, YOU better figure out how to keep your shiit running, by cleaning it yourself. You want it worked on?  Better bring me that fucker clean. If it takes a good "gun cleaning" to make your gun "run right" again - you're gonna pay for that, dearly... 

Where I'm at now, if someone brings me a shiit-ass dirty, muddy fucking vehicle to work on, I tell them straight up that they can take it to a car wash and clean it, or I'm not working on it.  OR, I will charge them $50 to pressure wash it before I begin working on it.  Your call.  I'm not working on that fucking muddy, nasty thing, in the condition it's in right now.  Go clean it first, or you're paying me to clean it.  One of those two thing will happen, or I'm not putting my wrenches to it...

As a Gun Shop Owner , you will clean a lot of Firearms , period . You get paid for it , just like anything else .It you don't , as a business owner , you will be losing easy profits , not to mention making more $ from worn/ broken parts or components you find when cleaning . 22's are the worse , most think you can just feed them ammo & they will work forever .🙄

12 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

Ya'll cleaned a dirty gun one time? Cool story bro.... Let me sing you the song of the suppressed MA-TEN and the 5k round marathon! :fullauto:

I would like to see you shoot 5k rounds of 308 !

$2500

Sore fingers ,maybe blisters .

LMAO

On 7/28/2019 at 4:50 AM, survivalshop said:

As a Gun Shop Owner , you will clean a lot of Firearms , period . You get paid for it , just like anything else .It you don't , as a business owner , you will be losing easy profits , not to mention making more $ from worn/ broken parts or components you find when cleaning . 22's are the worse , most think you can just feed them ammo & they will work forever .🙄

As a business owner, I'd try to tailor my business towards a "niche service" or 'niche set of performance goals."  Cleaning guns, as a gunsmith, it's one of them.  YOU clean YOUR gun.  Your gun is broken?  I can fix it.  Your gun is DIRTY?  I'll call you and tell you your gun is dirty, and it doesn't work, because you're too lazy/dumb/uneducated to CLEAN it.  At that point, if the gun owner comes to the shop, I charge them to teach them how to break it down, to clean it.... HEFTY, too.

I'm in a customer service, pleasure business, SS.  I fix broken pleasure vehicles, not daily drivers.  I tweak shiit, make it better, faster, whatever - you well know what I do.

Tell my on the phone that you want me to dyno your Harley, and you bring me that thing muddy as fuk, Florida swamp grass hanging off it. I'm not putting that thing on MY dyno like that.  At that very point, I'll tell you to take it home, CLEAN IT, and bring it back when you're ready to load it on the drum. Buh Bye, hope you come back clean...

Personal BUSINESS is about what YOU are willing to do. I'm not cleaning guns, as a gunsmith.  AS a gunsmith, "Cleaning YOUR guns" will not be on my "service menu options" either. 

As a Gun Shop Owner, as you state, I would not tailor my business into cleaning someone's neglected gun, because they're to lazy/dumb/uneducated to do it.  I wouldn't open up a business that tailors to that.  I'd be smarter than that.  You don't HAVE to service EVERYONE, and you NEVER need to have EVERY customer.  There ARE customers that you can look right in the eye, and tell them that you don't need their business.  I've done it.

Buy, whatever.  You do you, and tell me how to do my own work...   :thumbup:

If I own the business, I'll tell you this much - you, the customer, are not gonna tell me how to run my own business...  

Edited by 98Z5V

Hey, SS - do me a favor. Call White Oak Armory or Fulton Armory and ask them how much it costs to send your gun to them for "cleaning..."    :thumbup:

I'm SURE you'll get an answer... but you might not like it.   That's not what they do...   :lmao:

I will say this.... When I was still working in the industry, if we had to clean a customers firearm in order to repair it, it was charged accordingly, and if I remember correctly shop fee was $90 an hour plus supplies. So oh ya, I would clean it and you would hate me the whole time I did it too. Because that military mind set of G.I. clean and ready for inspection just went to a whole new level. 

Then it was repaired or replaced and test fired and charged accordingly. 

Firearms left over 30 day became property of said establishment and were either sold or auctioned off to cover the bill. 

To this date I have two firearms that were left in my possession for repair and never picked up. 

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Hey, SS - do me a favor. Call White Oak Armory or Fulton Armory and ask them how much it costs to send your gun to them for "cleaning..."    :thumbup:

I'm SURE you'll get an answer... but you might not like it.   That's not what they do...   :lmao:

Have you ever been a GunShop owner or FFL Dealer ?