• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AERO PRECISION M5 LOWER

TeleStratMan

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 6:47 PM, TeleStratMan said:

Just Completed my AP AR10 LOWER.

Nice looking setup, and well done.

Just so you know, though, and it's discussed as common knowledge here - that's not an AR-10, not even close.

Armalite makes the AR-10, and it's a completely different platform that the DPMS LR-308-based Aero M5 that you have.  For example, I'll say this - pin an Armalite AR-10 upper receiver to your Aero M5 lower, and see if it fits.  It won't.

There are 3 basic platforms for these "larger ARs," and they are Armalite AR-10, DPMS LR-308, and Rock River Arms LAR-8.  There are tons of different specialized platforms as well, but those are the three main platforms.

So, just so you know, you don't have an "AR-10" in the least.  Confusion amongst the platforms will only screw you over in the future, when you're looking for upper receiver parts and such. 

That's the entire reason that this site is named ".308AR.com" ...

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Nice looking setup, and well done.

Just so you know, though, and it's discussed as common knowledge here - that's not an AR-10, not even close.

Armalite makes the AR-10, and it's a completely different platform that the DPMS LR-308-based Aero M5 that you have.  For example, I'll say this - pin an Armalite AR-10 upper receiver to your Aero M5 lower, and see if it fits.  It won't.

There are 3 basic platforms for these "larger ARs," and they are Armalite AR-10, DPMS LR-308, and Rock River Arms LAR-8.  There are tons of different specialized platforms as well, but those are the three main platforms.

So, just so you know, you don't have an "AR-10" in the least.  Confusion amongst the platforms will only screw you over in the future, when you're looking for upper receiver parts and such. 

That's the entire reason that this site is named ".308AR.com" ...

I realize that I have a DPMS LR-308 Style receiver and I already have the upper receiver which is a DPMS LR-308  Low Profile model. 

I recently posted on this forum a picture link showing the difference between a AR-10 and LR-308 and also shows the difference between low and high profiles.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/312.htm

These rifles are commonly "called" AR10's just like adjustable locking pliers are called "vise grips" although there are many different styles of locking jaw pliers with variations.     

Armalite is a Brand just like Vise Grips is a Brand.

Lots of things are referred to by their brand names instead of what they actually are.   

Edited by TeleStratMan

2 hours ago, TeleStratMan said:

These rifles are commonly "called" AR10's

People commonly beat their wives, doesn't make it right, seriously though it is important to differentiate these platforms with the proper terminology, lack of standard specs for these large frame AR's causes enough problems for those of us assembling them. Way to many parts sellers and manufacturers get it wrong, many on purpose to increase their search results. The grief this has caused the people that bought the wrong parts is real. We just try to do our part in bringing clarity to the subject. 

5 hours ago, TeleStratMan said:

These rifles are commonly "called" AR10's just like adjustable locking pliers are called "vise grips" although there are many different styles of locking jaw pliers with variations. 

A Corvette and a Mustang are both sports cars, but you don't refer to one as the other just because they are both sports cars, unless you are a moron.

You are welcome to continue calling your M5 an AR-10 if you like, just don't get upset if people start to treat you like you should know better, because you should.

6 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

A Corvette and a Mustang are both sports cars, but you don't refer to one as the other just because they are both sports cars, unless you are a moron.

You are welcome to continue calling your M5 an AR-10 if you like, just don't get upset if people start to treat you like you should know better, because you shou.

LOL!     "Is it my rifle or is it my gun" ?

Never got upset just pointed out the facts.

I bet you never called adjustable locking pliers Vise Grips  or Refrigerant Freon.     HA HA HA !  

Edited by TeleStratMan

9 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

People commonly beat their wives, doesn't make it right, seriously though it is important to differentiate these platforms with the proper terminology, lack of standard specs for these large frame AR's causes enough problems for those of us assembling them. Way to many parts sellers and manufacturers get it wrong, many on purpose to increase their search results. The grief this has caused the people that bought the wrong parts is real. We just try to do our part in bringing clarity to the subject. 

To most gun folks there are 2 AR platforms =  AR10 and AR15 regardless of the variations within each platform.   I guess if the moderator does not like me using the "generic" name for a large frame AR then they can ban me from the forum. Have a nice weekend.  

Edited by TeleStratMan

17 minutes ago, TeleStratMan said:

I bet you never called adjustable locking pliers Vise Grips  or Refrigerant Freon.

I call Freon "Freon", refrigerant is referred to as "refrigerant", Kleenex is called "Kleenex", and tissues I call "tissues". People who call Aero's M5 platform "AR-10s", I call those people "idiots". It's really quite an easy system to grasp, which is evident because I have mastered it.

25 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I call Freon "Freon", refrigerant is referred to as "refrigerant", Kleenex is called "Kleenex", and tissues I call "tissues". People who call Aero's M5 platform "AR-10s", I call those people "idiots". It's really quite an easy system to grasp, which is evident because I have mastered it.

Thank you for the very nice compliment. Hope you have a great weekend.

Its really a shame you have to resort to name calling to make a point.

Edited by TeleStratMan

49 minutes ago, TeleStratMan said:

Its really a shame you have to resort to name calling to make a point.

I'm just outlining the shoe size, whether or not you wear it is your choice. It is well known to most of us here that "AR-10" is common use phraseology, it's also well-known to be erroneous and irritating. My point all along has been that if you are going to indulge the erroneous and irritating behavior, don't expect it to be well received. 

There's actually a broader impact than just the annoyance of using the wrong nomenclature. Folks who are taken in by the erroneous use of the phrase suffer the inconveniences of purchasing incompatible parts for their "AR-10" because unscrupulous vendors don't care about the nomenclature. After a decade or so of helping those folks out, we don't have a real sunshiney outlook on the defense of it's improper use.

If you aren't prone to using the term incorrectly, that shoe doesn't fit you and you aren't compelled to wear it. Now that you've been informed on the issue, it's up to you whether or not the label applies.

Do you want to be part of the solution, or part of the problem?

1 hour ago, Matt.Cross said:

I'm just outlining the shoe size, whether or not you wear it is your choice. It is well known to most of us here that "AR-10" is common use phraseology, it's also well-known to be erroneous and irritating. My point all along has been that if you are going to indulge the erroneous and irritating behavior, don't expect it to be well received. 

There's actually a broader impact than just the annoyance of using the wrong nomenclature. Folks who are taken in by the erroneous use of the phrase suffer the inconveniences of purchasing incompatible parts for their "AR-10" because unscrupulous vendors don't care about the nomenclature. After a decade or so of helping those folks out, we don't have a real sunshiney outlook on the defense of it's improper use.

If you aren't prone to using the term incorrectly, that shoe doesn't fit you and you aren't compelled to wear it. Now that you've been informed on the issue, it's up to you whether or not the label applies.

Do you want to be part of the solution, or part of the problem?

People who call Aero's M5 platform "AR-10s", I call those people "idiots".

You determined my shoe size for me because that's exactly what I did in this thread.

I've been called a lot worse than "idiot" so take a number.

I even posted a link in this thread that shows in PICTURES the Difference between Armalite and DPMS Large Frame AR Platform Upper Receivers.

I'll leave this Forum in the hands of all the PERFECT People who never use generic terms in any of their language.

Say hello to all the AR Police for me.

14 minutes ago, TeleStratMan said:

I even posted a link in this thread that shows in PICTURES the Difference between Armalite and DPMS Large Frame AR Platform Upper Receivers.

Which makes your insistence in calling them all AR-10's even more bewildering! You know the difference, great, why confuse the guy that doesn't? 

butthurt2.jpg.a64a6fd957b323d82a6e18df029c4fb1.jpg

Edited by jtallen83

10 minutes ago, TeleStratMan said:

People who call Aero's M5 platform "AR-10s", I call those people "idiots".

You determined my shoe size for me because that's exactly what I did in this thread.

So your reading comprehension gets you there, but doesn't catch this?

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

If you aren't prone to using the term incorrectly, that shoe doesn't fit you

The question is not did you misuse it that one time at band camp, the question is whether or not you feel you need to continue misusing it, but since you are taking your ball and going home, I digress.

6 hours ago, TeleStratMan said:

To most uneducated gun folks there are 2 AR platforms =  AR10 and AR15 regardless of the variations within each platform.  

I just HAD to fix this for you, because you messed it up.  I just clarified it for you.

Tell you what, man, buy your Aero M5 Carbine recoil system (the complete set that they make). It will come with a buffer that's too light (at 3.8oz).  You really need a buffer that's about 5.4oz - and there's an AR-10 Carbine buffer that meets that weight.  Buy that Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer, stick it in your setup, and report back what the results are.  I can already tell you what the results are going to be, but just humor me here.  You know, since you have an AR-10, anyway, and calling it by what it really is - just really isn't important.

I'll be waiting...   :popcorn:

17 hours ago, TeleStratMan said:

I recently posted on this forum a picture link showing the difference between a AR-10 and LR-308 and also shows the difference between low and high profiles.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/312.htm

You didn't educate anyone here with that - we've been posting that for years here, to educate people on the differences.  You just didn't search before you posted, and thought you'd found some kind of informational "gold mine."  You didn't.  What you posted is, literally, old news.  Except to you...

Here's another one that pre-dates what you're posting, and Troy Ind was the first company to address the DPMS "high/low" change.  This was about 2010 or 2011.  We've used this one alot...  There's even a write up on it on the main informational website, here (not the forum).  This was posted to the main informational site(s) (308ar.com AND 762ar.com) at the same time as it came out.

https://762ar.com/dpms-a3-handguards/

Edited by 98Z5V

@TeleStratMan, the amount of butthurt that you've displayed about your nomenclature "willful" ignorance is amazing.  It's not just "ignorance," because you state that you DO know the difference in the platforms.  So, you're doing it intentionally, or with zero regard for what is correct - you don't care.

The amount of butthurt based on the backlash is coming from the "I don't care" attitude, and your atempted defense of it- which is just stupid.

You can continue to stay here- you don't have to leave, and you don't have to have someone "ban you."  That comes up more often that you know, when people get caught in this kinda shiit.  You can stay...

But, since you already state that YOU KNOW the differences, then abide by the REAL nomenclature of the differences in the platform.  Don't be lazy about it.  If you think all three major platforms are the same, and "they're all AR-10s because there are only two platforms - AR-10 and AR15," as you state - they REALLY prove my point that you're correct - and buy a Rock River Arms Lar-8 upper and pin that thing to your Aero M5 (DPMS-based) lower.  I just want to see pics of you possessing both, and trying to make it work...   :thumbup:

@TeleStratMan, is this a 1969 Fender Rosewood Telecaster?  I just saw this for sale for $16k.

sayfakphihcgyoudlolf.jpg

Since all guitarists play guitars, then everything is a 1969 Fender Rosewood Telecaster, by your mentality.  According to that, THIS is a 1969 Fender Rosewood Telecaster, too...

I found this for $31.02 on walmart.com...

9dc4f439-995e-4fce-bf4f-8b06156f9753_1.b

Gotta be the same, since all guitarists play guitars.  Right?...   :popcorn:

I'll toss it right in there with the folks who say they have an "AK" when they mean that they have a semi auto AK variant. 

:-).

I do use "AR10" when speaking to the unwashed masses, they get it. "LR308" or "AR308" are better search terms if your looking for parts.

Doubtful that I ever own an actual "AR10".

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

By this logic, all .308AR rifles should only designate an ar rifle chambered in .308 Winchester. And what about the use of 'AR-15'? This WAS also trademarked by Armalite as well; was being the operative word. So using AR-15 is also incorrect. Thanks to Eagle Arms representing themselves as Armalite, implying that they are the same as the original, and thanks to all the mil spec fanboys, we now have no hope for a uniform, progressively improving standard for the AR platform, mil spec or otherwise.

I believe we show disrespect to Gene Stoner by equating his work with Eagle Arms; Armalite, whose work and time in  history will never be duplicated, should not be copied in name. Improve upon it, of course; but respect for Stoner's elegantly simple design (as others have referenced) is best shown by not naming your company 'Armalite', but by all who follow using the AR-10 and AR-15 as terms of respect. The terms "AR" and "Stoner" are what should be synonymous.

The worst result in practical terms is that there will never be standard pattern receivers and bolts for each cartridge "family" as there exists in the bolt gun world; nor quality, longer COL magazines, and lowers allowing for a longer COL. Just imagine a Grendel, a Creedmoor, with a mere .25 -.30 extra room for seating the best aerodynamic bullet where it is supposed to be seated! And there will never be quality, dead nuts reliable mags as long as manufacturers turn out junk for $12-15 for the guy who ironically spent $3500 on his rifle, and $2500 on the glass.

Mikey B

1 hour ago, mike baugh said:

By this logic, all .308AR rifles should only designate an ar rifle chambered in .308 Winchester.

You miss the whole point, which is to do the best we can to prevent guys from buying the wrong parts. You call it whatever you want just don't be shocked when it is corrected here.

5 hours ago, mike baugh said:

By this logic, all .308AR rifles should only designate an ar rifle chambered in .308 Winchester. And what about the use of 'AR-15'? This WAS also trademarked by Armalite as well; was being the operative word. So using AR-15 is also incorrect.

Colt is who owns the "AR-15" moniker.  Just putting that out there. 

On 8/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, jtallen83 said:

You miss the whole point, which is to do the best we can to prevent guys from buying the wrong parts. You call it whatever you want just don't be shocked when it is corrected here.

That's the thing in a nutshell.

My first go around I bought everything from Aero precision because I didn't feel like dicking around matching parts.

Little different ball game starting with 80% Gen 1 lowers, but everything you need to know can be found here.