• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bipod rail for AR-10BF

Charlie

I've got one of those rails on my AR-10 A2 carbine Charlie. Definitely get the round cap. Not a bad 2 piece rail system.

Looking back though. I'd probably just pull the delta ring and put a regular free float rail on it that would still allow the FSB. The rail tends to try and rotate a little after extended fire. Not rapid fire mind you. Just after hundreds of rounds sent downrange. Even with Locktight on the fastener points.

A2_Carbine_1.thumb.jpg.3f3d101af271622336d010168865e100.jpg

As a plain, simple rifle. I love this plain jane A2 carbine. She just works.

Edited by Rsquared

1 minute ago, Rsquared said:

I've got one of those rails on my AR-10 A2 carbine Charlie. Definitely get the round cap. Not a bad 2 piece rail system.

A2_Carbine_1.thumb.jpg.3f3d101af271622336d010168865e100.jpg

I tried to do that today, but the place I went to had a round cap that was too small to fit the foreend's nose pins. My foreend nose measures 1.875" top to bottom and 1.825" side to side. He was kind'a baffled, and made noises about Mil Spec and stuff. I've got one or two more places to look, but it's a bit frustrating that none of the dealers mention the ID of the cap, just the OD of the barrel. My barrel measures 0.75" at the gas block.

4 hours ago, Charlie said:

I tried to do that today, but the place I went to had a round cap that was too small to fit the foreend's nose pins. My foreend nose measures 1.875" top to bottom and 1.825" side to side. He was kind'a baffled, and made noises about Mil Spec and stuff. I've got one or two more places to look, but it's a bit frustrating that none of the dealers mention the ID of the cap, just the OD of the barrel. My barrel measures 0.75" at the gas block.

I don't think (not that I remember) that I have one. But I'll dig through my parts bins and double check.

I'm not a big fan of doing that "talking" thing to humans, but it might be worth a shot to give the guys at Armalite a call and see if they could hook you up.

This is a pic of the front of the handguard. The bumps indicated by the arrows are supposed to go inside the handguard cap. Fortunately there's a gun show in town tomorrow, so I'm going to trot down there with the handguard and see what I can find.

Charlie

Handguard Front 1000.jpg

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

This is a pic of the front of the handguard. The bumps indicated by the arrows are supposed to go inside the handguard cap. Fortunately there's a gun show in town tomorrow, so I'm going to trot down there with the handguard and see what I can find.

Charlie

Handguard Front 1000.jpg

What does the other end look like? Could this be the back end?

4 hours ago, blue109 said:

Ive never even heard of a different size handguard cap. Ive had a few handguards that were a real bastard to get in. Was it close?

Not even close, and the round handguard I looked at in the local shop had a handguard keeper ID of 1.300!

4 hours ago, shooterrex said:

What does the other end look like? Could this be the back end?

The back end has four small roll pins that key into the barrel nut's fingers. Derek in tech support confirmed that this was the receiver end.

The bulges on the inside of the handguard at 11, 1, 5 and 7 o'clock have holes for allen screws that you tighten down to secure and center the handguard to the barrel.

Edited by Charlie

12 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

Here is a thought. Go to NAPA and find a freeze plug the right size. Drill 2 holes. 1 for the barrel and 1 for the gas tube. Flat black BBQ grill paint. Done.

That's an excellent idea! I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a product that I could modify to do that job, and you nailed it!

Thanks!

OK. I guess my reading comprehension sucks.

I reviewed the installation instructions, and it says plainly that the upper bump goes inside the handguard cap, and the other three go outside! With that in mind (and minor loss of skin on my left thumb) I was able to install the upper handguard. The lower handguard won't go because the triangular cap is too wide at that point, and the instructions were clear about that. So bright and early tomorrow morning I'm going to get a wood dowel and a hammer, and show it who's the boss.

Yay!

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2019 at 6:57 PM, Charlie said:

This thing.

It's funny, but I don't own an AR-15 type rifle. Just the two AR-10s. The only .223 in the stable is a Steyr AUG NATO, and I like it, but it's a poster child for worst trigger ever!

Charlie

M153GN18.jpg

I'm off topic. Sorry, but I ordered an M153GN18 on 11/13 and it arrived 11/18 one day after my birthday (but I don't care :-). It's a lovely piece of equipment! I was going to take it to the range last weekend, but things got in the way. And they're closed this weekend, but I'll get out there real soon.

It doesn't come with sling swivels, but it takes a standard AR rear swivel (the screw is 8 X 32 X 1/2) and I added a Grovtec Key-Mod 5 slot Pic rail with push botton base to the front of the handguard, so we're good to go.

Sorry to clutter up the conversation, but I can definitely recommend these.

Charlie