• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bipod rail for AR-10BF

Charlie

I'm looking for a short (7 to 9 slot) picatinny rail to attach to the forward end of the lower handguard of my AR-10BF (20" bbl) so that I can mount a bipod. So far I haven't found a thing!

I even sent Armalite support an  email requesting comment last Wednesday. It must be a tough question because so far no joy.

Last resort would be to change the handguard for something with rails already on it, but I'm not sure what product to buy.

Charles

bayolug-2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Charlie, long time. Hope you are well. I have an attachment that goes through the holes on the standard hand guard and has a slotted rail that allows a bipod to the attached. When I get home I will snap a picture and do some research where I got it.

Hey there. That would be outstanding! Thanks.

Howdy Sir, welcome back! I got some pictures of my first attempt at putting rails on my handguard for a bipod, failed attempt in my book. I had rails from several makers, used some of the hardware and got whatever other hardware that made it fit from the hardware store. It didn't work out loading a bipod no matter how close to the front or rear, too much twisting. After trying this for a bit I bought a used Knights Armament RAS. The RAS was better but in all honesty I get better accuracy in the factory configuration, where it sits at again now. Thanks for asking this question, gave me a chuckle when I looked at this abomination again :laffs:

IMG_2168.thumb.jpg.395f5004022b525f0636cef2fb821df1.jpgIMG_2167.thumb.jpg.31b0a1b25cf02db6c4fab106134d513f.jpgIMG_2169.thumb.jpg.14d322bf06c2cf2b9d1f7a42f6f54d93.jpgIMG_2170.thumb.jpg.ace881de0dbeae3c323d5c1a507469e2.jpg

6 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Howdy Sir, welcome back! I got some pictures of my first attempt at putting rails on my handguard for a bipod, failed attempt in my book. I had rails from several makers, used some of the hardware and got whatever other hardware that made it fit from the hardware store. It didn't work out loading a bipod no matter how close to the front or rear, too much twisting. After trying this for a bit I bought a used Knights Armament RAS. The RAS was better but in all honesty I get better accuracy in the factory configuration, where it sits at again now. Thanks for asking this question, gave me a chuckle when I looked at this abomination again :laffs:

IMG_2168.thumb.jpg.395f5004022b525f0636cef2fb821df1.jpgIMG_2167.thumb.jpg.31b0a1b25cf02db6c4fab106134d513f.jpgIMG_2169.thumb.jpg.14d322bf06c2cf2b9d1f7a42f6f54d93.jpgIMG_2170.thumb.jpg.ace881de0dbeae3c323d5c1a507469e2.jpg

Hi JT. My goodness, the gang's all here!

Since I was last active I retired from my glamorous tech job, served a stint at Academy, and am now employed on-call at a craft beer store. I like the beer store, but Academy sucked, because I hate coming home at 2 in the morning and trying to please a supervisor who has never spent a single hour stocking or filling out 4473s!

3 hours ago, blue109 said:

Just tested a rail section from my PRI DELTA rail and the holes line up. You would need to figure out the screws. This one in the link has a swivel stud and QD socket built in. 

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1419107&CAT=4814

20190928_140548.jpg

If the holes line up it would work. I can envision the backing nuts, but I don't have a lathe. Maybe I've got something in the junk box that would work. I'll check it out tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Charlie said:

If the holes line up it would work. I can envision the backing nuts, but I don't have a lathe. Maybe I've got something in the junk box that would work. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Check out the local ACE, rounded up several different types of backer nuts and washers at my local hardware store.

33 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Charlie this is what mine looks like. Has a backing plate inside the handguard

20190929_160007.jpg

Looks good! I ended up ordering the Alostyr rail from Armalite. It's a pricey sucker, and overkill for what I want, but it's easy to install. And who knows, the other 12 feet of rail may come in useful. 😉

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I've been coveting an Armalite M153GN18, and my birthday is coming up! :-)

This thing.

It's funny, but I don't own an AR-15 type rifle. Just the two AR-10s. The only .223 in the stable is a Steyr AUG NATO, and I like it, but it's a poster child for worst trigger ever!

Charlie

M153GN18.jpg

On 9/29/2019 at 2:17 PM, Charlie said:

The handguard arrived today, and it's a beautiful piece of work, but it doesn't fit. The upper handguard won't go into the handguard cup because it interferes with the barrel. 
The handguard cup on my AR-10BF is triangular, and I'm thinking this handguard needs a round cup. So I'm looking into it.

Charlie

6 hours ago, Charlie said:

The handguard arrived today, and it's a beautiful piece of work, but it doesn't fit. The upper handguard won't go into the handguard cup because it interferes with the barrel. 
The handguard cup on my AR-10BF is triangular, and I'm thinking this handguard needs a round cup. So I'm looking into it.

Charlie

Easy piece to find.  :thumbup:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Handguard-Cap-Round-750-AR15-p/handguard-cap-round-.750-ar15.htm

Search out a round hand guard cap for an AR15 somewhere.  But, buy from a reputable dealer, and not some chinese crap on amazon...