• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Do everything AR308 build

Crimsonboat

Hello all, and welcome to my AR10 build. I've built AR15s in the past but this is my first .308. I really only have the budget to build one AR10 within the foreseeable future so I'm basically trying to build an all inclusive all around rifle to do everything I want it to. My uses for this rifle include long range shooting, course type shooting, and white tail deer hunting. As a precision rifle I want it to be precise obviously, as for the other uses I want it to be as lightweight and have the smallest footprint as possible. But I also am budget minded so I am attempting to do this for the least amount of money as possible. I know, an impossible equation, but just bear with me. I will give a detailed parts list including manufacturer listed weights and prices. Also, before I begin I would like to thank @98Z5V@Cliff R and all the other guys on this forum for their insight and advice on different products and philosophies. You have influenced this build greatly and for the better. 

A few months ago I jumped on a receiver set from Aero Precision that i ordered straight from Aero. It is a blemished set but honestly I couldn't tell you what was wrong with it. The lower weighs in at 12 oz and the upper with the small parts weighs 14 oz for a total of 26 oz. I spent $162 on the set.

20191129_113045.jpg

Next I ordered the handguard, muzzle device, upper parts kit, charging handle, bolt carrier group, and a magpul bipod. I ordered all of this from Armorally.com

I was originally planning on going with a 7.62x51 vg6 gamma as I have the 5.56 on my ar15 but I was suggested on this forum to get the 300 blk due to it being a 2 port brake as opposed to the 3 port and will save weight and overall length. So that's what I went with. It weighs 1.92 oz and it cost me $47. The muzzle blast doesnt bother me on my other rifles so I dont forsee a problem with it but if it is then I will end up getting the cage device that vg6 also makes. I could not get the picture to load so you'll see it on the barrel later

The magpul bipod I got because it was also a good deal and I've been interested in the magpul ones specifically recently. It weighs 11 oz and cost me $89.

20191129_170517.thumb.jpg.ffbf7be64d14a7f9032021299e285264.jpg

The charging handle is an aero part. It's their ambi charging handle and weighs 1.92 oz. I got it for $75. I went with the ambi over the regular old charging handles because I like to be able to charge the weapon with my firing hand in the prone position. 

20191129_170604.jpg

The upper parts kit is an aero kit and the weight was factored into the upper receiver. It cost me $19

20191129_170620.jpg

The bolt carrier group is from toolcraft and it is the double ejector variety. I was not specifically interested in the double ejector as I am not convinced it will really serve any better than the single but they had a really good price on them and I figured it couldn't hurt. It weighs 18 oz and cost me $120.

20191129_170628.jpg

20191129_170635.jpg

For the handguard I went with an aero m5 s-one 15" in black. I could have gone with the 12" and saved an oz and a few $ but all of my rifles have handguards that are very close to the end of their barrels so I wanted to stick with that theme. The handguard weighs a whopping 13.43 oz with the mounting hardware and cost me $129.99.

20191129_170733.jpg

20191129_170745.jpg

I've got a bunch more stuff on order and I'll let you guys know as I get it. At some point I'll get a scale and really weigh everything to give you some more accurate information than the generalized manufacturer weights. 

20191129_170517.jpg

Nice!

Man I like that hand guard.  I've got one on my wish list to replace the monstrosity on the first custom 308 AR I built with an Alexandria complete upper.  I'm also tempted to remove the barrel and shorten it some while I've got it apart or replace it with a lighter/shorter profile. 

It is HEAVY and poorly balanced, a mistake I made with my first build that I will not repeat........Cliff

8 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

Nice!

Man I like that hand guard.  I've got one on my wish list to replace the monstrosity on the first custom 308 AR I built with an Alexandria complete upper.  I'm also tempted to remove the barrel and shorten it some while I've got it apart or replace it with a lighter/shorter profile. 

It is HEAVY and poorly balanced, a mistake I made with my first build that I will not repeat........Cliff

I think the deal over at arm or ally may still he going on. It was way cheaper than anywhere else I looked. Handguards is something I'm very picky about. I want them light, slim, m lok, and as close to the length of the barrel as possible. So the aero one fit the bill.

3 minutes ago, Crimsonboat said:

That's such a good idea. Everyone aught to do that with their receivers.

DPMS started it, way back in the day, on their LR-308 lower receivers.  No kidding, they started it all.  :thumbup: I just wish ALL the manufacturers did it - it only makes sense... 

16 hours ago, Crimsonboat said:

Now is the best time for probably the whole year

That's what I understood and being my first rodeo putting one together I've been glued to this screen long enough to overdose but I'm done now but for a front sight (optics and a bipod will have to come when I have $$).   I'm waiting on an ebay delivery of a Knight's KAC rear sight to be sure that's gonna be what I want and the front is way to high to think I'm going there for the front sight.    Nearly everything I got was on sale but being crammed into this last week they were not all at your price points.  Still, wanted to get it done and inbound.   Got just enough set aside for a few tools I won't have being from another shooting discipline.      

37 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

For $110.00 I think the PA10 is getting a shorter new barrel.

That's a badass BA barrel right there, brother - for the money, you couldn't beat that if the sale price was $50 higher than $110...   :thumbup:

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Unfortunately I have one on the way. I probably would have jumped on that if not. I probably still would if I didnt just order a 16". I cant be disappointed though, I got a good price on the one I wanted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm finally back and I had a bunch of packages waiting for me when I got here. I'll start off with the barrell. It's the faxon 16" heavy fluted, weighs 33 oz and I got it for $246. Isn't it pretty?

20191214_205439.thumb.jpg.848c81c96ffe3ac917e4309bb51f4ad3.jpg

Also from faxon is the gas block. It's the low profile .750. It weighs 1.1 oz and cost $2320191214_205809.thumb.jpg.9fbb4cdb08c28ad23ca3760b6f44b008.jpg

The stock is a mission first tactical minimalist, weighs 5.8 oz, and cost me $42. I have this stock on my ar15 and I really like how light it is and its comfortable enough. 

20191214_205322.thumb.jpg.67b96cc192b6afcf2f0569f4e1b67b94.jpg

I got the buffer kit from Aero precision, nothing fancy here. It weighs 10.2 oz and cost $45.

20191214_205530.thumb.jpg.850f77ce02303a25bf83ccd382615268.jpg

The lower parts kit is also an aero, weighs 2.8 oz and cost me $20

20191214_205726.thumb.jpg.03ec44ccf0c456a3a90aa713fb51cc8d.jpg

The grip is a magpul moe k2+ and it is my favorite grip of all time. I like how vertical it is so it doesnt kink your wrist with your stock not in the fully extended position and I like the rubber texture. It weighs 3.1 oz and cost $17

20191214_205741.thumb.jpg.9063bae1802c66a004f72ec388c5c526.jpg

I also got an angled foregrip from magpul, it is their mlok compatible one. It weighs 1 oz and cost $17

20191214_205702.thumb.jpg.4fe41821fc12a81af40b13ca0c05f22c.jpg

Buis also from magpul are just the regular polymer style. I'm not sure these will work with the scope I got but they were a good price and I have them on all my rifles. They weigh 2.4 oz and cost $62

20191214_205911.thumb.jpg.9a996ae29edff6fe39b80231658eec1e.jpg

And finally for the scope. I ended up getting a primary arms 3-18x50 with an illuminated ffp reticle. It has the athena bpr mil reticle. I wanted something that I could stretch into shooting some precision longer range stuff but I could still take hunting on occasion. I cant really say what I think of it yet as far as performance but as far as build quality this thing seems pretty awesome. I may end up doing an in depth review on it down the road if people are interested. Anyway, it weighs 27.3 oz according to my scale and cost me about $400 when all the discounts were applied. 20191214_204956.thumb.jpg.ab5b8be338afd67cf4f1ced40d840da2.jpg

20191214_204946.thumb.jpg.632277199794e4a5eb2dc7d1e53b1ca9.jpg

Well, now all I'm waiting on is the trigger and scope mount that are on backorder from Larue. I'm just putting in a rock river 2 stage trigger I have in one of my ar's for now and I'm going to use the iron sights. I'm itching to get this thing together. 

2 minutes ago, Crimsonboat said:

I'm not following what you mean. Are you saying that the aero buffer is too light? 

Yes, you will find many posts on the subject here, @98Z5V has explained it in depth many times. Aero may have fixed it by now but when I used one on a build the depth was off, let the carrier hit the threads in front of the tube on the lower and several others have had the same issue. Two quarters in the tube solved it for me but I run an adjustable gas block to "fix" the buffer weight issue. 

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Yes, you will find many posts on the subject here, @98Z5V has explained it in depth many times. Aero may have fixed it by now but when I used one on a build the depth was off, let the carrier hit the threads in front of the tube on the lower and several others have had the same issue. Two quarters in the tube solved it for me but I run an adjustable gas block to "fix" the buffer weight issue. 

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. So if I'm understanding you correctly you put two quarters behind the buffer spring then?