• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Oracle or Diamondback rifle?

TEC

Not familiar with the Diamondback but I'll put a vote in for the DPMS.

I ended up with one NIB in a trade.  I outfitted it with a Burris scope and A2 stock.  Trigger is excellent and far better than one would expect for this type of rifle.  It runs everything I've tried to date without a single malfunction of any kind.

Accuracy has been good with all loads we put thru it. The worst groups were PMC (about 1.5" or so with a few fliers now and then), the best from two handloads I worked up for it going well under 1" at 100 yards for 5 rounds.

Can't fault it anyplace and certainly a good starting point if building a custom 308-AR is not on your list......Cliff

IMG_3413.JPG

Edited by Cliff R

Diamondback seems to ride the inexpensive tacticcool market. Dpms dont do that very well if you ask me. So i think it comes down to, what look do you like? 

Either brand will do what you want very well. My $500 radical firearms .300blk can even shoot out to 200 yards just fine that i would take a shot on a large deer. 

Maybe send us the links to what you are looking at specifically.

Matrix Aerospace makes the uppers and lowers for DB.  For more info on that specific platform, we have a Matrix section here:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/126-matrix-aerospace/

The DPMS receivers, by today's current offerings, are a little wider.  That DB set/Matrix parts, are a little narrower - if that makes a difference...

Edited by 98Z5V

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

My $500 radical firearms .300blk can even shoot out to 200 yards

When my cutover grows up where I can't see but 200 yards in the lanes I cut this year I am going to hunt with mine, first one will be with a 224 Valkyrie first. But I want to kill one with the 300. That will probably be next year.

10 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

When my cutover grows up where I can't see but 200 yards in the lanes I cut this year I am going to hunt with mine, first one will be with a 224 Valkyrie first. But I want to kill one with the 300. That will probably be next year.

140 is the longest i took with my 300blk so far, but it dropped in its tracks, so i wouldnt hesitate to shoot farther. Although i plan on using it more like a .30-30 brush gun in the future, just semi-auto. 😉

Plus i just ordered a vg6 precision .300 blk gamma for it to make follow up shots faster. Brownells have them for $43 right now.

@TEC i have looked more closely at the rifles you are looking at, style def seems to be the main difference and diamonback is a little cheaper. They both have crome moly barrels though and i would guess you arent going to see much difference in performance. I suggest you go with whatever rifle you would need to put less changes in to make it exactly how you would want it. That would be the diamondback for me.

I bought an Oracle back in 2014 because I wanted a .308  sheet metal Matel rifle mainly for curiosity, since a lot of my acquaintances were giving all kinds of praises about the platform. 

I bought a new in the box one for less than $500 shipped to a local FFL dealer.

I figured if I wanted to build one I might need one to reverse engineer, since I had never held one let alone shot one. I did do a new trigger and added a front sling swivel.  I had never seen a D ring handguard.  read up on the manual asked questions, found out I needed to really lube the thing up with Mobil 1 motor oil before breaking it in, Break it in?  . . .Hell I never ever broke in a factory firearm and I have had several beings I was a Marine in 1960 and  NRA Rifle instructor, M1 and M14, and a couple of mini14s, Winchester model 70s and Remington 700s and some lever guns. had already built a .3006 from a 03A3 receiver and built a .50 muzzle loader.

I did like the way it shot so I did disassemble the critter found a couple of surprises, It went back together easily and still shoots fine.  Now it is a close second Fav to my M14 and M1A  308/7.62X51 favs.

If I was you I'd probably buy whichever was the best buy, money wise. I kind of doubt you would tell the difference unless you buy one each of them.

Edited by mrmackc