• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hog Hunt

lew.45

What configuration is your AR10; Barrel? Optics?

What other options do you have?

For regular pigs I use my Browning model 92 in .44mag, for big boars I'll swing a Marlin .444.

I'm still building a 10mm auto upper for my AR15, just to thump pigs. My math says that a 200gr bullet flys approx 1300 fps out of a 6" barrel. Add 50 fps per inch till complete burn at 10.5" and then approx 30 fps per inch to a 16" OAL. That's a .41 cal flying approx +1600 fps! Or a 165gr at near 2k fps!!!

If I had to pick one or two of my guns for a hog hunt, I'd take two different calibers:  5.56 and .308.  For the 5.56, I'd load some Barnes 70gr TSX rounds, and the .308 would get some Barnes 168gr TSX rounds.  Those things are flesh-shredders, and they'll drop anything that needs dropped. 

I'd keep using the 5.56 70 TSX until it didn't work on something huge, and use that size (that didn't go down) as the size-break for the .308 168 TSX.  All "as big or bigger" would be treated to the .308 168 TSX.

I guess the next debate is what kind of "hog" are you shooting? Is this just a fat dumb wild pig? Or is this a huge, hairy, bite you in the ass if you miss, wild boar?

If you're planning on a big fatty, I say a 155-165 grain hollow point will do. If you're going for the tusks I say a bigger, maybe 170-175 grain, soft point.