• Visit Sportsmans Guide

6Willbird, new wildcat large frame AR project ctg

willbird

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok had a chance to sit down with a depth Micrometer and the barrel extension today and double check with the new BCG for this build. Wanted to see if the hard chrome made a dimensional difference. For the most part it did not. Had I used the original dimensions or were I to swap BCG the hard chrome one would .003 more headspace. revised my drawing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok for some stuff done today :-). Left barrel at 26" for initial test work and 1.2 dia, it kind of re defines "bull barrel" hehe.

Vn0nj4Y.jpg

m5hzYzb.jpg

h19enR8.jpg

OCa3RZy.jpg

Headspace is a bit longer than I want, will take the ext off and shorten that up. I used sharp corners on my gauge to measure cases and make a headspace gauge, the reamer has a radius at the neck shoulder junction. Easy fix.

Here is how it goes up in the lathe. There are far more than 1 ways to do this, one can get stuck on dead center so to speak the first time trying to decide the "right" way. I found the way that is right for me so far :-).

EzGydp7.jpg

18msr7W.jpg

UwrhZb2.jpg

gynx1Js.jpg

Final indicating here is with a .0001" indicator, and I get it .0000 runout or as close as possible.

ungw5fw.jpg

2 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

You do final run-out check on the bore though, right?

Absolutely, yes. The OD typically is not exactly concentric to the bore unless you turn it concentric. Indicator up in the hole is the best way IMHO. I have reworked a few factory 700 remington barrels where nothing ran true to anything else, when you got the bore dialed in all the other features were wobbling all over the place :-).

Bill

Edited by willbird

10 minutes ago, willbird said:

Absolutely, yes. The OD typically is not exactly concentric to the bore unless you turn it concentric. Indicator up in the hole is the best way IMHO. I have reworked a few factory 700 remington barrels where nothing ran true to anything else, when you got the bore dialed in all the other features were wobbling all over the place :-).

Bill

Absolutely agree with you there, that's right on par with cutting a barrel down on length, threading the muzzle by the concentricity of the OD, and then adding a suppressor.

Bafflestrike anyone?

Ok adjusted the headspace issue. and where this was all leading, or the next step was...

Will 5 dummy rounds made from fire formed and resized cases feed from  a Pmag working the bolt by hand ??

The answer is............yep like butter. These are 75 VMAX, fore formed with a maximum 243 load of superperformance.

zU4083n.jpg

Edited by willbird

On 7/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, 98Z5V said:

Jesus, man, this thing is gonna be a SCREAMER!!!    :lmao:

105 AMAX will fit, they are a sort of stubby bullet for weight, and in a 26" barrel could hit 3126 fps, but my 1:10 rifling twist will probably not stabilize them. QL says 2847 in an 18". Apparently the 105 AMAX I have are collectors items :-). .500 BC, they were one of the first polymer tip 6mm heavies as I recall. They are not nearly as explosive as vmax.

13 hours ago, willbird said:

105 AMAX will fit, they are a sort of stubby bullet for weight, and in a 26" barrel could hit 3126 fps, but my 1:10 rifling twist will probably not stabilize them. QL says 2847 in an 18". Apparently the 105 AMAX I have are collectors items :-). .500 BC, they were one of the first polymer tip 6mm heavies as I recall. They are not nearly as explosive as vmax.

Yep, they're calling 1:8" twist these days, for the heavies.  103gr ELD-X (.512 G1), 105gr HPBT (.530 G1), and 108gr ELD-M (.536 G1) from Hornady are pretty badass.  My 6 ARC is a 1:7" twist, so I'm gonna shoot the heaviest thing that I can find for that bastard.  Right now it's the 108 ELD-Ms.  200 factory loaded rounds already waiting, and another 300 to load and "determine my handload..."   After that, I'm switching to the 110gr A-Tips.  They're rollin' a .604 G1, which is just crazy.

The .243 Win bolt gun I have is a 26" heavy barrel, but it's a 1:9 1/8" twist.  I think I'll stick to the 95gr stuff for that, which are still good.  I'll try some heavies in it, and see what it likes.  If it doesn't like any 103, 105, or 108gr stuff - I'll just load that up and shoot it through the 6 ARC. 

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Yep, they're calling 1:8" twist these days, for the heavies.  103gr ELD-X (.512 G1), 105gr HPBT (.530 G1), and 108gr ELD-M (.536 G1) from Hornady are pretty badass.  My 6 ARC is a 1:7" twist, so I'm gonna shoot the heaviest thing that I can find for that bastard.  Right now it's the 108 ELD-Ms.  200 factory loaded rounds already waiting, and another 300 to load and "determine my handload..."   After that, I'm switching to the 110gr A-Tips.  They're rollin' a .604 G1, which is just crazy.

The .243 Win bolt gun I have is a 26" heavy barrel, but it's a 1:9 1/8" twist.  I think I'll stick to the 95gr stuff for that, which are still good.  I'll try some heavies in it, and see what it likes.  If it doesn't like any 103, 105, or 108gr stuff - I'll just load that up and shoot it through the 6 ARC. 

Lots of internet folks feel that people who say the 105 AMAX works for them in a 1:10 actually do not have a 1:10 :-). I can hook you with a few 105 AMAX, they are coated with something called "Danzac"...which is a kind of moly spin off product, Titanium Disulfide maybe :-). Does not look like Green Mountian makes anything tighter than a 1:9.  Shame really, their product seems good and the price is good, and lots of stuff is "in stock:. 

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Ok needed to measure exactly where the gas port needs to be with a white oak rifle minus 1" gas tube.

made this jig here.....allows putting the BCG end of the gas tube right in the center of the cutout in the upper.

efISK1O.jpg

They sell this tubing at most hardware stores, it is a Hillman product, not too expensive.

FabEKqu.jpg

Lathe turned this up so that it clamps up like a barrel extension.

vzLga4W.jpg

The answer I got was 1.221" closer to the receiver than a rifle gas 18" faxon pencil barrel. That all makes sense because it is a White oak AR15 rifle length gas tube minus 1", which amounts to Armalite AR10 rifle length gas tube minus 1.25" :-).

Edited by willbird

13 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

That's creative thinking right there! I love it!

When you need to do something there is always a way :-). That could all be made out of wood dowels actually and it would still do the job, maybe not the .001" but def good enough to work :-).

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, willbird said:

Got wrapped up into turning all my spare parts into pistols with braces :-).

Not a bad plan at all, considering the current political landscape that we seem to find ourselves deployed upon...   :thumbup: