• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Just finished 6.5 CM, very hard to get shell out of chamber

Glenn

I'm new to this, this CM was going to be my first build but did a 223 to get my feet wet before diving in.
This was a DPMS build kit from Moriarti armaments, the upper was a completed one--didnt want to get into all that yet. The 22" SS fluted barrel is from ballistic advantage. Not sure about the BCG. The lower is an 80% which actually sparked the build,,i just had a feeling Pa. was going to jump on board with Va. ( they did, and hopefully that went away for a long time). Milling with the 5d tactical multi platform jig was fun !  Im hooked. 
I have two issue with this build.
#1 the bolt catch wont catch the bolt ( so i guess at this point its just a lever)  The pivot action of the lever doesn't have enough travel to go high enough to catch the bolt. I either have to mill out a little in the lower or take off a little of the lever's backside. OR there is another lever i dont know about out there. Im sure others have had this issue, hope someone can help out. 
Empty mag doesnt activate it either of course. 

#2   I placed A zooms in the mag to see how it cycles ammo. Pulled the charging handle and left go, went to pull it out and it was stuck. Had to put it on the floor an push down with both hands and came out. You can see in the photos there are markings on the bullet and shoulder of the cartridge. I figure that has something to do with it, none of my other firearms does anything like this. The scrapes in the bullet can easily be felt as is the one in the brass.  I ran a camera up in the chamber to see if there was a burr or any signs of why this would be doing this but didn't see anything. I oiled up the A zoom and bolt parts that would possibly be a problem. It got to where i could get it out with one hand but it was very tight.  Any help would be awesome 

65CM.thumb.jpg.c917101b5f7c19d50d17283718d5257b.jpg

IMG_20200308_140918565_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200308_142213282.jpg

39 minutes ago, Glenn said:

#1 the bolt catch wont catch the bolt

Sometimes rounding that bottom corner of the catch will let it come up higher. Here is a thread on bolt catch sizes from different makers;

Mark on the brass looks to be from the lugs around the ramp, I have used a jewelers file and a stone to smooth some out, mostly though I let it wear in. The marks on the bullet I am not familiar with. I have never been impressed with tolerances on snap caps, I just don't use them after seeing them stick in chambers that had no issue with factory ammo.

Thanks, i was thinking of taking a little off that lever first to see what happens. 
I tried the snap caps first , the pictures was the real deal. I was really hoping the snap caps was the issue but not my luck 

The scrapes do look like from the lugs. Letting it wear in would be fine, i was just worried about how tight things were. 

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

The scrapes do look like from the lugs. Letting it wear in would be fine, i was just worried about how tight things were. 

Better tight than loose! You can always polish the chamber some, can’t put it back if it’s loose. Chambers I have had that were really tight are the more accurate rifles I have built, it can be a pain getting going but tiny groups make you forget the aggravation.  :thumbup:

Cycling the snap-caps and live ammo in a brand new action or gun isn't gonna tell us much, honestly.  You'll have to shoot it and see what happens.  See how if acts and reacts by sending some live ammo downrange.

If your headspace was excessively short, a no-go gauge wouldn't close, but neither would an A-Zoom or live round.  You've already proven that they both close, even though it might be a little tight.  It's not gonna blow up when you shoot it, that's for sure.  Run some ammo through it.  Lube it well, beforehand, but don't lube (at all) that chamber.

8 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Better tight than loose! You can always polish the chamber some, can’t put it back if it’s loose. Chambers I have had that were really tight are the more accurate rifles I have built, it can be a pain getting going but tiny groups make you forget the aggravation.  :thumbup:

Thanks,, accuracy is the only reason I wanted this one so I feel better about it now :-) Ill get the scope on it this week and run some ammo through it.  The post after yours is also making me want to get out with it :-)  

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

If your headspace was excessively short, a no-go gauge wouldn't close, but neither would an A-Zoom or live round.  You've already proven that they both close, even though it might be a little tight.  It's not gonna blow up when you shoot it, that's for sure.  Run some ammo through it.  Lube it well, beforehand, but don't lube (at all) that chamber.

Very true on the headspace. I'll have to clean out some lube that I put on the snap cap earlier. Thanks 98z6v.  I think I'll be taking off work Friday and take this to the range. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I ran some rounds down range. The gun cycled fine. Brass actually landed within a foot an a half circle. Had some weird scapes on the brass as before. It is still unbelievably hard to get a round out with the charging handle.

Moriarti got back to and had a great talk. They  really think it's something  with the bolt.  They are sending me some parts. I put a round in the chamber by hand and it was fine, so very well could be. 

There sending me a different bolt catch lever also they think will work. 

I'll keep you posted 🙂

• 5 months later...

Got some updates,,

Moriarti sent a bolt catch that worked fine, they wanted the upper back.  They did something that fixed the shell being so hard to get out. I emailed them a lot to ask what they did so I could post the results but for some reason they have never got back to me. What ever they did caused another issue. I put 5 in the mag and hit the bolt release. First round always goes off fine. 2 out of the 5 , i would pull the trigger and it's like the BCG isn't totally in and not letting the trigger drop the hammer. I push the FA and you can't see the BCG move and still doesnt fire. Pull the CH halfway and let it go ,,that let's the trigger work for that round.  I was getting stove pipes also. I just got a new double ejector boron BCG and tried it out. It took care of the stove pipes but still have the failure to go into let the trigger go. Soooooo I'm guessing I got a gas issue or buffer/spring issue. Whats your thoughts.  The brass is landing at 4 o'clock though. Talk about frustrating. What a way to learn though. Moriarti wanted a video of what it's doing so I sent that a month ago, hadn't heard anything back yet. 

I also upgraded the trigger to a hiperfire 24c. That's absolutley awesome !!!!!  I put an Athlon Argos BTR 6x24 on it. Best so far was 3/4 " group at 200 🙂 probably  average an inch group with minimal wind. 

20200828_195249.jpg

1 hour ago, Matt.Cross said:

Measure the width of the hammer side to side, and the width of the hammer clearance slot on the BCG. I had a similar issue once with a BCG with too narrow a hammer slot.

Hammer is 7.3mm,,, BCG slot is 12.75mm  thanks for taking a stab at it 🙂

4 hours ago, Glenn said:

Moriarti sent a bolt catch that worked fine, they wanted the upper back.

This is the first issue. Why did they want the upper back?...

Call Moriarti Arms, and see what's going on here.  Ask for "Juliya" and see if she takes the call. This is who you're looking to talk to about your issue:

Owler Reports - Moriarti Armaments posted a video "6.5 Grendel Type II  complete upper receiver assembly" on YOUTUBE

Edited by 98Z5V

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Why did they want the upper back?...

When I'd put a round in the chamber and hit the bolt release then try to get that round out ,,,you'd swear you were going to snap the CH .  I had to put the butt of the gun on the floor with the muzzle straight up , push with both hands down on the CH. I talked to a guy in the shop about it and he thought he knew what was going on and was going to send some bolt parts. Parts never came so I called back and they said send the upper back.  When it came back to me that was fixed but had these cycle issues. That's what I really wanted to know what they did. It would help to learn that for the future and the fact it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out.