Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
iitiimothyii

Cycling issues

Recommended Posts

I have finished my ar build and I took it to the range to sight it in and it was cycling to fast pinching the round between the bcg and the barrel. I think i need a heavier buffer but cant find any adjustable or heavy rifle length buffers. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iitiimothyii said:

The rifle is in 308 with a 308 buffer system from aero normal mass bcg non adjustable gas block and a 16 inch barrel prs stock from magpul wilson combat barrel aero lower

 

7 hours ago, iitiimothyii said:

I also have the adjustable odin works compensator on it

Gonna need alot more details.  With periods after sentences.  Not gonna wade through mish-mash thoughts barfed onto the screen, at random.  Went through that 15 years ago with ATV kids that couldn't complete a sentence, trying to diagnose why their quad wouldn't run right.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

 

Gonna need alot more details.  With periods after sentences.  Not gonna wade through mish-mash thoughts barfed onto the screen, at random.  Went through that 15 years ago with ATV kids that couldn't complete a sentence, trying to diagnose why their quad wouldn't run right.

 

I have a 16" wilson combat barrel and intermediate gas tube. I have a rifle length buffer system, lower, upper, gas block designed by aero. I have a prs stock and mag designed by magpul. I am shooting 180 grain soft points made by federal. I also have the odin works adjustable compensator on the barrel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, iitiimothyii said:

I have a 16" wilson combat barrel and intermediate gas tube. I have a rifle length buffer system, lower, upper, gas block designed by aero. I have a prs stock and mag designed by magpul. I am shooting 180 grain soft points made by federal. I also have the odin works adjustable compensator on the barrel.

Thank you, sincerely.  Please give more details in the two things above,  in the red and the orange.  In the red, are all the parts in that sentence Aero Precision parts?  For the orange, can you post a link to the adjustable compensator?

How long is that buffer?  It's either 5.200" long, or it's 5.900" long... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 12:34 AM, 98Z5V said:

 

Gonna need alot more details.  With periods after sentences.  Not gonna wade through mish-mash thoughts barfed onto the screen, at random.  Went through that 15 years ago with ATV kids that couldn't complete a sentence, trying to diagnose why their quad wouldn't run right.

 

Yes those parts are all by aero and this is the link to the compensator: https://www.odinworks.com/product_p/mb-atlas.htm the buffer is 5 and 5/16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that is your buffer measurement it’s off. Also don’t shoot soft point ammo in any AR with expectations of proper feeding. The feed ramps will catch the soft end of the projectile and cause you issues. If you’re going to hunt with them your better off hand loading into the chamber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iitiimothyii said:

Yes those parts are all by aero and this is the link to the compensator: https://www.odinworks.com/product_p/mb-atlas.htm the buffer is 5 and 5/16

That's a fancy comp - take it off.  Completely off.  Shoot the rifle with a bare barrel - see what happens.  That's either gonna point directly TO or eliminate that comp as a problem here.  Remove it and shoot the gun.

If that's really the length of your buffer, then it's too long, and that IS causing you some cycling problems.  Make sure your measurement is right, with that 5 5/16".  That's an issue (the issue), if that's it.  You need to be running a buffer that's 5.200" long.  Period.

Rifle receiver extension is 9 11/16" internal depth, too - measure that, to see if they did something funky here.  In the past, they've made carbine extensions that are suposed to be 7.000" internal depth - they've made them 7.100" internal depth, and that screwed with the function of one of my builds before I figured it all out.

Edited by 98Z5V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's a fancy comp - take it off.  Completely off.  Shoot the rifle with a bare barrel - see what happens.  That's either gonna point directly TO or eliminate that comp as a problem here.  Remove it and shoot the gun.

If that's really the length of your buffer, then it's too long, and that IS causing you some cycling problems.  Make sure your measurement is right, with that 5 5/16".  That's an issue (the issue), if that's it.  You need to be running a buffer that's 5.200" long.  Period.

Rifle receiver extension is 9 11/16" internal depth, too - measure that, to see if they did something funky here.  In the past, they've made carbine extensions that are suposed to be 7.000" internal depth - they've made them 7.100" internal depth, and that screwed with the function of one of my builds before I figured it all out.

If rifle reciever extension is the same as the buffer tube then yes that is my internal measurement(9 11/16") but the buffer after triple checking still measures 5 5/16". Do you have any experience with soft point causing issues and if so could you point me to your preferred deer/boar hunting round? But I'll go to a range this weekend and shoot without the compensator on to see how it functions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iitiimothyii said:

Do you have any experience with soft point causing issues and if so could you point me to your preferred deer/boar hunting round?

I have seen some pretty good size chunks of lead removed from soft points, it can be a pain to clean up and can't do much for accuracy. I would look at hollow points or any of the polymer tipped hunting bullets mout there, with all the choices no reason to use soft points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iitiimothyii said:

If rifle reciever extension is the same as the buffer tube then yes that is my internal measurement(9 11/16") but the buffer after triple checking still measures 5 5/16". Do you have any experience with soft point causing issues and if so could you point me to your preferred deer/boar hunting round? But I'll go to a range this weekend and shoot without the compensator on to see how it functions.

You'll just be mad if you shoot this weekend, but try it out if you want. 5 5/16" for a buffer length is 5.313" long.  Your buffer needs to be 5.200" long.  That +0.100 thou too-long is causing you some grief.  Hell, give it a shot - literally.  That way, you'll know if it's the comp. That buffer length is an issue, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...