• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Help with a Mega Maten

Jcunning19

I love the damn guarantee that some of the guys give on here when suggesting a part. And I’d trust that any here who say that would honor it without question. Huge respect for you guys. 

Hope it fixes up quick for you man, that’s a damn nice rifle and I don’t think you made a bad trade at all. It’ll be something cheap and easy I hope. 

10 hours ago, Jcunning19 said:

I attached lengths etc in pictures.  I’m assuming the D stamped on the Bolt is DPMS and the D 10 on the barrel is DPMS.  

E253DAFD-14EF-49E6-96F6-0C97E5CF827C.jpeg

38A3EBE5-7581-4D7D-97B1-272B21BF4DF7.jpeg

I see two HUGE issues right here, fighting each other.  First, that receiver extension is garbage.  For an AR15, it should have an internal depth of 7.000", not 6 3/4" - that receiver extension is WAY outta spec.  Second.  3.250" buffer.  That's a great buffer length if you're running an Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System...  which has a receiver extension depth of 7 5/8".  That buffer is long enough to run on one of those.  But it's not gonna run in a .308AR with a 7.000" extension - much less a shorter one, that's not to spec.

That recoil system is garbage, and it's the primary source of your problems.  Shiit-can it.  Dumpster Fire wouldn't be agood enough send-off for that thing.  Buy the Armalite AR-10 Carbine Recoil System, install it, and let's start there.  I'll be you have no more gun issues.  Not with the parts that you've listed, and that gas tube pic - that gas tube is perfect length.  Ranier makes good barrels, too.

You need this, and you'll be laying out about $65 for all of this:

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

AR10REKIT01.jpg

Shows out of stock right now, but CALL Armalite on the phone and see if theey can piece a kit together for you and send it to you.  Trust me on that.  Their number is:

Phone

LOCAL: 623-780-1050
TOLL FREE: 800-336-0184

Hours of Operation: M-F 7am – 4pm MST

If you have a 7.000" internal-depth extension on a .308AR, then you need to be running a 2.500" long buffer.  That's a straight up AR15 recoil system on that gun, probably with spring, too, so just shiit-can the whole thing.  The buffer bumper on the end of that buffer has had the shiit beat out of it, by the looks of it.  Dump it all.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:37 AM, Jcunning19 said:

Yesterday I shott some Barnes Vortex through it. It cycled the first two shots then double fed due to the shell not extracting all the way etc. 

Just wanted to hit on this, for clarification.  As far as malfunctions go, that is not a double-feed malfunction.  That's a Failure to Eject malfunction.  A Double-feed is two live rounds, trying to enter the chamber at the same time, and a Double-feed is always magazine-related.  

My $0.02.  :thumbup:

This is a double-feed:

accidental.jpg

The magazine lips, or the magazine spring, can't control how many round it's letting out during the cycling operation, and it launches two.  That same mag would launch three - if there was room in the upper to do it. That's double-feed malf, right there.

This is Failure to Eject:

main-qimg-8459fc158d422398e2f662c8749673

This is BAD.  This is Failure to Eject, AND a Double-feed, at the same time.

M-6-1024x681.jpg

The only thing worse is a bolt-override malfunction.

Just and Update. I could t find any of the Armalite buffer tube kits. So Inordered and Aero enhances kit along with a Tubbs flat spring. After everything installed it’s like a complete different rifle when feeding. The Tubbs spring is really smooth and quiet. All my mags load easily now. My Bolt catch also works now. I could t believe the issues that the m4 spring and buffer caused. Thanks for all the help guys

@Jcunning19

Good to here you are running smooth!

Curious: So I tried to get a Tubbs flat wire to compress down to a 2-1/2" buffer a while back, wouldn't do it. Bolt would not clear the bolt catch. had to go to the 7-3/4" tube and 3.25" buffer.

Part # on the flatwire spring you purchased?

Did the AP Enhanced kit you mention include buffer, spring, extension tube and 2-1/2" buffer? Part #? Buffer weight?

What exactly was the difference between that and what you replaced?

The AP enhanced and the Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil are completely different animals, from my understanding,

The AP is based on AR15 buffer extension tube with a shorter buffer, Armalite same buffer length as AR15 carbine with longer recoil extension tube. (Heavier buffer as well) 

This info will help others, thanks.

2 hours ago, Jcunning19 said:

Just and Update. I could t find any of the Armalite buffer tube kits. So Inordered and Aero enhances kit along with a Tubbs flat spring. After everything installed it’s like a complete different rifle when feeding. The Tubbs spring is really smooth and quiet. All my mags load easily now. My Bolt catch also works now. I could t believe the issues that the m4 spring and buffer caused. Thanks for all the help guys

Excellent! Nothing better than proper function. We need to get together and shoot sometime.