• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spectre WS-MCR, Canadian AR-180 review

jtallen83

I had an Original AR 180 made by Sterling. It was an interesting firearm. It borrowed from the AK as well as the M16/AR15. Always regret selling it. The Howa (Japanese)  manufactured AR 180's were considered the best, my Sterling was OK but suffered from a wobbly folding butt stock which was endemic to the design. fixed by a shim. very accurate and very reliable.

At the time John developed this  rifle  in Canadian fire arms law the AR-180  was a non restricted classed firearm( no registration) unlike other ARs(15 & 10) being restricted and require being registered.

Unlike the BRN 180 which fully compatible with any standard, mil-spec AR-15 lower receiver these are not. The reason for this is Canadian firearms law as you would only be able to use them at approve ranges( AR-15 lowers are restricted class) and now not oly AR-15 lowers prohibited the government has made the uppers prohibited.

John is an ex pat Brit who has done a lot for firearms owners in Canada and putting money where his mouth is to fight stupid gun laws.I'd be buying one but these are sold before they see the store rack.

13 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Lot of differences there. If you look close at the BRN 180 it is AR-15 based. It looks to me like it has more in common with the AR-15 than the AR-180.

That double spring set up is right off the original AR180

Edited by Sisco

Just now, Sisco said:

That double spring set up is right off the original AR180

The lower receiver uses an AR-15 grip, theres no way an AR-180 grip would work. The lower receiver looks like it probably uses a lot more AR-15 parts too. The shoulder stock is totally AR-15 also, it's mounted on a LAW Tactical Folder stock adapter.

7 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

Looks like a side charger 15. the 180 has a whole different recoil spring setup.

SANY1850.JPG

Dang Belt Fed! Looks just like the one I had, right down to the quick release scope mount! That isn’t a Bushnell 2.5 on it, is it? That is what I had on mine.

46 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Dang Belt Fed! Looks just like the one I had, right down to the quick release scope mount! That isn’t a Bushnell 2.5 on it, is it? That is what I had on mine.

It possibly could be, it was just an old scope I had. It just came with the mount.  I have two 180's. one is unfired.I bought both of them as a package deal back in the late 80's. I originally was goin to buy the unfired one but he said if you buy it i'll let this one go with it. I couldn't turn the price down. I kept it in the truck for a while and have shot many rounds through it. Think I gave 150 for it and 350 for the unfired one.

There are not that many around, check if it is a Bushnell 2.5 if it is it might be the same rifle. I sold mine with the mount and the scope to a gun dealer, so who knows. I did not keep the serial number as this was in 1987.  A number of years ago a guy posted on another forum about finding a Howa manufactured one NIB with 10 20 round magazines for something like $350 at a garage sale. Why don’t I ever find those?