• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ruger 10-22

Cliff R

I recently purchased a Ruger 10/22 and outfitted it with a 4-12 scope.  Been having some issues with Raccoons at night trying to get into my chicken coup.  I turn my dogs on them and they go up nearby trees so I shoot them out to them. 

So the other night we run a whole family of them up a tree next to the chicken coup and I ran out of ammo. Dropped the 10 round mag the rifle came with and went to install my Ruger 25 round mag and it doesn't fit.  Not even close....WTF? Ended up dropping the last two out with my S & W .38 snub nose revolver.  Man did that ring my ears pretty good!

I ended up having to remove .020" from both sides of the 25 round mag and now it fits and works fine.  So I had an older 10 round mag in the gun safe and it fits but really tight, doesn't just drop right out like the 10 round mag the rifle came with.

Did they make a change to these newer 10/22's or do I have a fluke?..........

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

8 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Did they make a change to these newer 10/22's or do I have a fluke?..........

Got any older ones, where you can measure the side-to-side dimension of the receiver magwell?  I can provide measurements on 3 different receivers, if you want to check that out.

I've never had issues with the BX-25s or the 10-rd rotaries in mine.  Come to think of it, no issues with the Butler Creek Steel Lips 25s, either, in any gun.  I've got an old 1973 all-metal gun, and I must say, it likes it's original rotary mag way better than any of the newer rotaries, though.  Newer ones are tough to get out, but go in easy.  Other than that, zero other mag issues with any of them, when using the larger-capacity mags.

I've owned three 10/22's over the years but ended up selling all of them.  That's why I had a couple of spare magazines laying around and just assumed they would fit the rifle I picked up a few weeks ago.  I remember buying my first 10/22 way back when I first met Deb and she was working at Harts Family Center (late 1970's).  They got in a shipment of them and were selling them for $60.  They had white Birch stocks on them and the stock swelled up and moved all over the place making the rifle pretty much USELESS if you had a scope on it because the barrel band moved with the stock.  I fought accuracy, or at least keeping zero issues with that gun for several years then sent it on down the road.  Ruger also cut the rifling in them with a chainsaw!  That was back in the earlier years for Ruger and they were doing a lot of investment casting vs forging/machining and quite a few of the weapons I bought from them had some pretty "rough" cut rifling in them.  This included a complete POS Redhawk 44 magnum pistol I tried to use for long range use with heavy cast bullets.  I was even stupid enough to buy a second one when the first one turned out to be a "turd", but that entire experience is a story for another place and time.

Anyhow, the 25 round Ruger mag was a completely "no-go" and required .020" removed from each side of it, now it works fine.  The older 10 round magazine fits but is a PITA to remove when you hit the mag release. 

The 10 round magazine sent with the rifle falls right out when you hit the release.  I'm assuming at this point that they may have tightened up the specs slightly on this "tactical" version for sure.  It's not the stock, plenty of clearance where it's cut-out, the restriction is actually in the receiver.

I can get some measurements later today for comparison.....

I didn't find time to take any measurements today, just too busy with other things. 

I did find time to give a few groundhogs in a nearby soybean field a bellyache.  My hit ratio is pretty poor, none were under 100 yards and I don't have my sight dope figured out past that distance.  I did manage to hit one around 150 yards after shooting over and under him a couple of times.  Pretty weird but he went down his hole, must have got sick then came back out and ran around outside the hole stopping just long enough a few times for me to put a few more rounds on him.  Even carrying a good deal of lead he made it to the wood line and disappeared into the tall weeds.

Another one popped out about 175 yards and gave me a nice broadside shot, but I held about 12" over him and just shot over him by inches.

Less than a minute later one came out about 80 yards out he I nailed him pretty good (there is a noticeable and distinct "thud" when the bullet finds it's mark) but he also managed to make it back to the wood line and disappear into the brush.

I like the quiet report of the 22 for groundhogs but will say I can't ever remember missing one with my AR-15 under 300 yards, so it's a new game for sure......

Thanks.

Sadie turned one year old last month and is doing great.  She has some BIG shoes to fill since I lost two of my older females about this time last year.  Not quite the killing machine that Samantha was but we're working on it.

This long range varmint hunting with the 10/22 is pretty fun stuff, easy on the ears if nothing else.  I just need to get to my range and get some sight dope out to 125-200 yards.

Getting this long range 22 long rifle thing figured out, was 2 for 2 yesterday.  Whacked one at 125 yards and another at 80.  From what I can see the 22 turns into a mortar for trajectory past about 80 yards, but once I figured out the hold-over have been getting on them pretty good.  You can also hear the hits if you miss them in the scope as there is a slight delay as it takes the bullets a little time to get there......

9 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Getting this long range 22 long rifle thing figured out, was 2 for 2 yesterday.  Whacked one at 125 yards and another at 80.  From what I can see the 22 turns into a mortar for trajectory past about 80 yards, but once I figured out the hold-over have been getting on them pretty good.  You can also hear the hits if you miss them in the scope as there is a slight delay as it takes the bullets a little time to get there......

I have the 10/22 stainless bull barrel with the mannlicher Stock. May have to try that.

I lost Internet service for the past few days but have increased my hit ratio to near 100 percent.  Whacked 6 more since the last post. 

Part of the improvement came from taking the trigger group apart (interesting adventure that turned out to be) and lightening/smoothing up the trigger pull a bit.  I've figured out hold-over out past 100 yards and have been lobbing the rounds in with greater precision. 

It's pretty fun stuff and the best part is that the gentle report from the 22 doesn't scare the entire field of ground hogs back into their holes.  Just yesterday I shot one at 90 yards then seconds later another one at 150 yards when he rose up to check out the excitement.  The only thing you don't get with using a 22 is planting them where you hit them.  Many make it back to their holes even hit pretty good........

I also made some carpenter bee traps and trying them out.  Been hot here and not much up for any shooting except early morning and late evening.  Hoping things cool down some as it's time to get the rifles out and put a few rounds down range before we head out to Colorado in October.........

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

Update, things cooled of a bit so I wondered over to the larger bean field for some ground hog hunting. 

Shots here are further than the smaller field closer to the house ranging from about 150 yards to about 225 yards to the far corner of the field.

One came out almost as soon as I got there right at the wood line, which is right at 200 yards from where I pulled the side-by-side off road.  I held right at 2' over him and planted him with the first shot.  Sadie ran over to make sure he wasn't going to make it back to his hole.  It's difficult to tell the distance from the pics but I stepped it off at 197 steps........

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

It's a freaking BLAST!

Hope I'm not boring folks to death with this chit, but lobbing el-cheapo Remington Thunderbolt 22 rounds from a $200 10-22 rifle with a "low" end Tasco 4-12 power scope on it out to 200 yards is a lot more fun than wasting them with my AR-15 set up for hog hunting. 

The first couple of days was low percentage past about 100 yards or so, now that I've figured out the hold-over I'm 5 for 5 the last couple of days out to 200 yards.  Also pretty cool is that it's quiet, and you can see the round hit (or miss) in the scope when you touch one off.

I'd also add that "working" the trigger was another BIG improvement for this rifle.  Out of the box the trigger was horrible, heavy with too much "creep" for my liking.......

IMG_1946.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

Cliff you are eating them I hope? I can get you some recipes if you want. Dan Small, a Wisconsin Outdoors TV host I have met raves about how good they taste. 

Braised woodchuck, served on a bed of sauteed onions, celery and chard stems, with sides of steamed winter squash (yes, we're still eating last year's squash!) and nettles. The 'chuck was dusted with basil, pan-braised in olive oil in a cast-iron skillet and garnished with fresh cilantro. Condiments included lacto-fermented sauerkraut and dill pickle. We grew everything but the kraut, pickle and olive oil.
For the curious among you, the young 'chuck was fall-off-the-bone tender after two hours in the skillet on low heat. It tasted a little like rabbit, but had more flavor and a gentle sweetness. Older 'chucks have a more robust flavor, but require a longer cooking time.
Edited by Sisco

Nah, not eating any of them but may put them on the menu if we do another round of this doomsday prepping staying at home chit.

My local Eagles are sure liking them though.  It's cool to watch a big crowd of buzzards sit back and wait their turn while the Eagles eat first......it's call RESPECT!......

3 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Hmmmm maybe if I had no other choice. For the record I love to catch fish and don’t care to eat them. Fish is great as long as it doesn’t smell or taste like fish. 

Now, fresh Salmon steaks off the grill are some good eating.

Sounds a LOT better than some slow braised groundhog to me!

My son brought home about 35 pounds of Walleye back on the weekend of the 4th.  I don't think it gets much better than that for fresh water fish.  I've fried it, grilled, blackened and even laid fillets on foil in the air frying and it's fantastic every single time.........

Probably my last update.

The beans are now high enough that the ground hogs can manipulate thru the rows undetected.  The window of opportunity is short with soybeans, you literally only have about a week of good hog hunting until the beans are tall and thick enough to cover their movements.

It was fun while it lasted.  I didn't keep accurate numbers but I gave at least a dozen of them a good bellyache and planted 4 right where they stood, the furthest shot just under 200 yards and the closest about 60 yards.  The hit ratio started out very poor out past 100 yards (I was 100 percent to that distance) until I figured out the hold-over at longer ranges.  The little 22 has the trajectory of a rainbow past 100 yards.  I didn't even bother looking at any ballistic tables on it, just kept holding over until I was lobbing them on target with good success, and keeping good mental notes the entire time

Just wanted to post some info about how successful one can be with this sort of thing and not tie up a bunch of money in anything fancy or expensive.  The rifle was an off the shelf 10-22 tactical, camo stock with no barrel band.  The only modification done was to remove the trigger group and polish the sear, hammer and remove a little material to get rid of the noticeable "creep".  That deal isn't for the faint of heart as the trigger group is a little complicated and the first time I took it apart it took half hour or so to figure out how to get it all back together.  The scope was Tasco's bottom of the barrel 4-12 rifle scope, not a 22 dedicated version.  It came with rings and the 10-22 has a rail already installed for them.

Going to get the AR-15 out for the rest of the season, and my good hearing protection!........

IMG_1878.jpg

Edited by Cliff R