• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

The MagPul Lower Receiver...

98Z5V

Such a work of art.  Such an exercise in utility.  The MagPul Lower Receiver was a unicorn, and very short-lived.  And it was EXPENSIVE.  As fuk.

Magpul MPL Billet Lower Receiver... got to see!!! | Northwest ...

MAGPUL LOWER RECEIVER PRICE [Archive] - M4Carbine.net Forums

Magpul MPL-A Lower Receiver | Final product, no white shapes… | Flickr

There was the MagPul MPL-A version (graphic right there above ^^^, just plain), the MPL-B version, and the MPL-C version - I'll find the pics over time, as I can, but they were distinct, in markings. Some more rare than others.  Even though ALL we rare as hens teeth.

Here's the markings on the MPL-C version...  The rarest of the rare...

Magpul and ARFCOM AR-15 lowers -The Firearm Blog

Magpul lower? - AR15.COM

I'll track down MPL-A and MPL-B lowers, and get pics up. However, it doesn't matter which version is was - there's were not to be found, unless you knew someone.

In 2008, ARFCOM somehow got the rights to design a lower based off the MagPul MPL prints.  Politics, gun-grab scares with O'ButtFuck, and everything else, conspired against ARFCOM, and it was another 3 years before that deal would ever see the light of day.  Eventually, ARFCOM pulled it off, and they reproduced the MagPul MPL lower receiver.  Perfect, too, minus the markings - of course it was marked with ARFCOM logos - they're the ones that brought it to the market, for the "average people."  Some of those original MagPul lowers were going for $3k, in the day.  I shiit you not.

It was simply made out of "unobtanium" for us normal people...  You just couldn't get one.  No way, no how.  Unless - connections.

Part 2 coming up.

Aroung the end of 2010 and beginning of 2011, ARFCOM was getting closer to getting a company to make these "AR-15.com" branded MagPul lowers, and after 3 or 4 companies that said they could and didn't - they found one.  They were initially only offered to "Lifetime Members" of ARFCOM, but eventually opened up to the public.

AR15.com-Billet-Lower-Receiver-1.jpg

AR15-Billet-Lower-Right-Side.jpg

These were only offered by ARF as a complete lower receiver assembly, initially, and has a production rollmark of "AR15.COM ARMAMENT RIFLE, HONEOYE FALLS NY USA"...   It was Mid $800s to get one, but it had top-of-the-line parts in it - no half-assing by those boys, in the least.  MagPul CTR stock (or UBR stock), Geissele Super 3 Gun trigger, already had the Norgon Ambi mag release, Battle Arms BADASS 45* safety, MagPul MIAD grip - everything was top of the line.  I paid $861 for mine, with options, and that was the standard then. 

Sometime between that first run and followup runs, the manufacturing location changed.  Again, sometime a few years ago, it changed again, to a TX company,and the design was changed slightly then...

I'm lucky enough to have #43 from the very first production run, from the first manufacturer, and this is by far my favorite all around AR, bar none. I didn't mess around, and built the upper with the Rainier Arms Billet UltraMatch upper receiver, Danial Defense Mk18 RIS II rail, YHM pinned 14.5" diamond fluted barrel, and put the PA mini red dot in an ADM mount, Burris 3x magnifier in the ADM flip-to-side mount.  BDS sling rounded it all out. 

I recently brought this back up because I got the new Olight Odin lights, and this was the first gun I thought about for mounting that badass light to - and it's fully deserving of this gun.  Once I mounted the light up - I started thinking about how badass this whole gun really is... 

At any rate, that's what led to this long post. 

The ARFCOM lowers are just about no more - and the original MagPul lowers are LONG gone.  There's talk on ARF of bringing this back, but Brownell's got involved and sold a bunch for awhile, then discontinued them.  I don't know if these will ever be back, but if they DO come back.... Think REAL HARD about jumping on that bandwagon.  From the talk on ARF, once they find a way to sell them, they will - and all stock will be sold off, and the AR-15.com Store will be gone forever.  These lowers really are all that, and that good.  AR-15.com - good luck, and I hope you keep them up.  If not, and they disappear - then I know I still have #43.   :thumbup:

P1080753.thumb.JPG.26cff66845ab40469e0bf332f4e64041.JPG

P1080754.thumb.JPG.c0ac178b1f7c7af89f3e4a040849a1ae.JPG

P1080755.thumb.JPG.505627832eb233b6d21b172de4a09326.JPG

P1080756.thumb.JPG.28e547666cc7a1fb142bf1010360adf8.JPG

P1080757.thumb.JPG.93c85a77325feda90a05281d7d152249.JPG

P1080758.thumb.JPG.ee9d4e5b1113b50ef1df9eca28d2f6cd.JPG

P1080759.thumb.JPG.e81f454e50add8104bd3007b23a164fd.JPG

P1080760.thumb.JPG.91294d712609f76bfc1f0c852b9b1645.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

Here's the old stories about when ARF resurrected the lower - after years of trying, with no manufacturer stepping up...  They had it "licensed" from MagPul in 2008, but no manufacturer would make it for them.  Most of that was from the 2008 election, BarackMania and talk of gun bans.  Manufacturers were making their own shiit to sell, planning to bank on a Gun Ban... 

https://www.ammoland.com/2011/04/ar15-com-billet-lower-receiver/#axzz6RIUPdYNF

This article is cool ^^^    They picture lower #42 in that article.  The next one was MINE...   :thumbup::lmao:   I was almost famous?...   :popcorn::laffs:

https://www.guns.com/news/2011/04/22/ar15com-resurrects-magpuls-billet-ar-lower-receiver

Edited by 98Z5V

6 hours ago, ApexJunky said:

Ah, ARFCOM.

“Where the weak are killed and eaten.”

Which is literally the forum motto over at www.yellowbullet.com but it applies nicely at www.AR15.com

I got tangled up in some shiit there, back in the day.  Let it rip, too.  A certain gun dealer decided to criticize some of the things I said, so I responded, well, how I respond when those things happen. 

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I got tangled up in some shiit there, back in the day.  Let it rip, too.  A certain gun dealer decided to criticize some of the things I said, so I responded, well, how I respond when those things happen. 

Since when?  I've never seen you be anything but cordial. :lmao:

On 7/12/2020 at 3:34 PM, 98Z5V said:

Some people just can’t handle the truth.