• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LR308 not stopping on bolt catch, beating up brass

Revelation

3 hours ago, Revelation said:

A gunsmith can't? 

That is my understanding. The bolt headspaces to the barrel extension. The extension is installed before the gas port is drilled so it indexes straight up. The chamber is behind( in front of) the barrel extension. They MIGHT be able to take a chamber reamer and take a bit more material out of the chamber. I would send the bolt and barrel back to the maker. They might have a bolt that head spaces correctly without changing anything. What did the brass look like that you fired?

6 hours ago, shooterrex said:

That is my understanding. The bolt headspaces to the barrel extension. The extension is installed before the gas port is drilled so it indexes straight up. The chamber is behind( in front of) the barrel extension. They MIGHT be able to take a chamber reamer and take a bit more material out of the chamber. I would send the bolt and barrel back to the maker. They might have a bolt that head spaces correctly without changing anything. What did the brass look like that you fired?

Thanksfor the explanation. I originally used the Faxon BCG when I was having the problems, which then I returned it and the buffer, gas block, and other parts because they weren't as nice as I expected. 

I picked an Aero Precision NB BCG (looks and feels to be 5x the quality of the faxon) and according to Faxon barrels, this is one of their recommended BCG's for their barrels. I have not shot at all with it yet and got the headspacing checked. That is my current situation. I will see what the gunsmith says about the situation and otherwise will try to contact Faxon. 

13 hours ago, shooterrex said:

The only way to fix the headspace is send the barrel and bolt back to Faxon.

Yup, if your gunsmith says he fixed it and didn't do something like changing the bolt then he's inventing charges to gouge you with. If the chamber is oversized then the barrel needs to go back to the manufacturer.

41 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

Yup, if your gunsmith says he fixed it and didn't do something like changing the bolt then he's inventing charges to gouge you with. If the chamber is oversized then the barrel needs to go back to the manufacturer.

This leads me to one more question, the bolt wouldn't close on the "go" gauge, not the other way around, so wouldn't the chamber be opposite from oversized and with a little help if they got the bolt to close on the go gauge we should be good to go? 

1 hour ago, Revelation said:

This leads me to one more question, the bolt wouldn't close on the "go" gauge, not the other way around, so wouldn't the chamber be opposite from oversized and with a little help if they got the bolt to close on the go gauge we should be good to go? 

If the bolt won't close on the 'Go' gauge then yes, a gunsmith can ream the chamber just a little more to correct that. That is an undersized chamber.

If the bolt closes on the 'No Go' gauge then it's an oversized chamber and needs to go back to the manufacturer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 2:02 PM, 392heminut said:

If the bolt won't close on the 'Go' gauge then yes, a gunsmith can ream the chamber just a little more to correct that. That is an undersized chamber.

If the bolt closes on the 'No Go' gauge then it's an oversized chamber and needs to go back to the manufacturer.

Any progress on your weapon sir?

6 hours ago, Revelation said:

I will update this thread when the gunsmith gets the upper back to me. 

Its amazing what covid has done to wait times in the gun world. I got lucky at 3 weeks wait time when some other local gunsmiths were a year out on work!!

Sounds good, I hope its something simple and cheap, shame its not at 98's house, he would have you up and running in no time!

6 hours ago, Revelation said:

I will update this thread when the gunsmith gets the upper back to me. 

Its amazing what covid has done to wait times in the gun world. I got lucky at 3 weeks wait time when some other local gunsmiths were a year out on work!!

and thank you for getting back to us, we will be looking forward to hearing an update and range report!

• 1 month later...

Finally received the upper back from the gunsmith today. Headspacing is correct and rifle is ready to go. I had a chance to take it out and put about 20rds through it. I will put more through and take pictures soon. Here are the details from this short session:

Now using a 5.5oz CAR-10 heavy buffer and their carbine spring as well to match. 

SLR gas block set on 10 out of 15 (tried settings 5-13) but setting 10 on gas block is letting the rifle cycle rounds perfectly thus far, spent brass looking good. Brass ejecting anywhere from 2-4 oclock but mainly around 4 oclock. 

HERE IS THE ONLY ISSUE THAT IM SEEING STILL. Bolt will not lock back on last round, no matter what. Doesnt matter what gas setting, whether I am lubed to the max or running a little more dry, what ammo I'm using, tried multiple bolt catches, it doesnt matter. It won't lock back lol. But it does cycle rounds perfectly. 

I'm stumped, but am ready to either leave it the way it is or sell it and buy a bolt gun.

Like I said, I can take pictures and run more rounds through it the next time I'm able to get out, just request if you think you may have an idea what could be wrong. Thanks

On 8/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, edgecrusher said:

One hundred percent the hyd buffer did not slow the cyclic rate down enough and between that and the spring may not have been correct in size. Also, brass isn’t terrible in the pic but I’m curious (knowing you already returned it, doesn’t matter much now) what the firing pin liked like. 

Also, how well lubed is your weapon. These large frame rifles need to be well lubed, dripping just about, for break in period. No mil spec and a lot of surfaces that need to mate properly. Possible cause of your issue with bolt but maybe only part of the problem. On your next outing with all new parts, please give us the following info prior to shooting:

new buffer length and weight

spring length and coil count

picture of the gas tube in cam cut out in a well lit vertical picture 

picture of your lube job and round count prior to and post shoot

welcome aboard and have no fear, we will solve this

you just solve it i guess

On 11/4/2020 at 4:10 PM, Revelation said:

SLR gas block set on 10 out of 15 (tried settings 5-13) but setting 10 on gas block is letting the rifle cycle rounds perfectly thus far, spent brass looking good.

HERE IS THE ONLY ISSUE THAT IM SEEING STILL. Bolt will not lock back on last round, no matter what. Doesnt matter what gas setting,

Bolt won't lock back with the gas block wide open, even?...   :popcorn:

You stated it goes to 15.  You stated you tried 5~13.  Run the gas block wide open and see what happens.

Setting 10 is not letting your rifle "cycle rounds perfectly" if it's not locking back on the last round.

Edited by 98Z5V

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 10:14 PM, 98Z5V said:

Bolt won't lock back with the gas block wide open, even?...   :popcorn:

You stated it goes to 15.  You stated you tried 5~13.  Run the gas block wide open and see what happens.

Setting 10 is not letting your rifle "cycle rounds perfectly" if it's not locking back on the last round.

Yep, where are we at on this Rev, which bolt stop did you end up using?? what type and brand of magazine, if they are all Pmags, try an ASC steel mag or other??

Did you open the gas block all the way up like 98 suggested,,,, don't sell it, let these gents help you figure it out, we've got it cycling, now we just need to put the brakes on it when you're out of ammo in that mag.

It's possible you need a heavier buffer yet?? report back sir, we would like to be successful here...

Edited by billymagg