• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What caliber is best?

Juan1981

6 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

If it was a 308  you could only shoot 308.  If it is 7.62 you can shoot 7.62 and 308.  The chamber is slightly larger in the 7.62.  Got any pics of the rifle you want to post?

Negative Ghost Rider, you can shoot either in either chamber these days. It's not advisable for older military surplus, but in these modern large frame ARs, it's not an issue.

21 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

There you go Juan,  my better has informed us both.  I'll stick with my understanding for now.

Considering that we live in easily the most litigious society in the history of mankind, and yet the manufacturer themselves told this gentleman it would be fine.... maybe just maybe there's something to it. Now, I'm not expecting anyone to adopt my viewpoint here, but there's a wealth of information available to those who want to research this, and a simple search does the trick:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/M14-FAQs/308.htm

It's actually fairly common knowledge these days that modern barrel materials are more than up to the task of dealing with the pressure difference between the two rounds, which is the principle concern given the exact same external dimensions between the two rounds. The consensus among folks who know way more than I do, is that it's fine to run either case in either chamber; so I have no concerns about echoing the manufacturer in saying it'll be fine, with of course the proviso that it's a no-no in older military surplus.

As for being anyone's better, I appreciate the compliment but I'm no better or more authorative than anyone else here, I'm simply repeating what's been conventional wisdom here since pretty much the outset of this forum.

Let's go old school for a moment if you will.  I,  yes I will never go against what I have learned,  and will only change when proven wrong 100%.  At that time I must change and accept the truth.  So is it still a rule to ensure safety,  that older 308 chambers may not accept 7.62?  Modern firearms can accept both rounds Juan.  If you get coo coo like the rest of us and jump in head first and decide to buy WWII surplus be careful and check out the chamber requirements.  Is that OK?  Old school compliments such as suggesting someone is my better simply infers the subject at hand.  Do I think you treat your dog better than I ?  No way,  you may treat em' just as well as I do,  but never better.  How about family ?  Same same.  Matt,  I do appreciate the information you supplied,  I have changed,  gratefully if not graciously to a new viewpoint and understanding.  I remain suspect of any device which can change my beautiful 68 yr. old face and life style in a moment.  I have many betters here on board regarding the 308. 

It doesn't mean they are better men than I across the board.  Keep that in mind next time I say that.  

Juan I have been proven completely wrong.  Please be careful and disregard my information, other than any safety measures implied.  

6 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Considering that we live in easily the most litigious society in the history of mankind, and yet the manufacturer themselves told this gentleman it would be fine.... maybe just maybe there's something to it. Now, I'm not expecting anyone to adopt my viewpoint here, but there's a wealth of information available to those who want to research this, and a simple search does the trick:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/M14-FAQs/308.htm

It's actually fairly common knowledge these days that modern barrel materials are more than up to the task of dealing with the pressure difference between the two rounds, which is the principle concern given the exact same external dimensions between the two rounds. The consensus among folks who know way more than I do, is that it's fine to run either case in either chamber; so I have no concerns about echoing the manufacturer in saying it'll be fine, with of course the proviso that it's a no-no in older military surplus.

As for being anyone's better, I appreciate the compliment but I'm no better or more authorative than anyone else here, I'm simply repeating what's been conventional wisdom here since pretty much the outset of this forum.

OMG.  I think I Love You...   ❤️🤪:drool: