• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PSA PA-10 build. Need help!

SouthTexasShooter

Hello all. I’m Ed, new to this forum and fairly new to the AR world but have shot other weapons all my life and built my first AR-15 (from PSA) a couple months ago. I now have a PSA Gen 3 PA-10 stripped lower receiver and trying to decide how to build it out. I’ve watched the prices on PSA’s website go up steadily over the last few months on all their parts but especially complete upper assemblies. Can anybody recommend another upper manufacturer  that will reliably work with my PSA lower? Also is there another manufacture of lower parts that will work with the PA 10 lower? I already have a stock, grip, buffer tube and trigger from another PA-15 build kit but need all the PA-10 specific parts such as pivot pin, take down pin, bolt catch, mag release, and safety. I’m trying to avoid buying the entire PSA PA-10 lower build kit for $179 when I only need about $20-30 of parts. I’m also wondering if the spring I got with the PA-15 kit will work in this PA-10 build and which buffer I need if my spring does work. Lastly, I am still debating on whether to go with .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor... Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance. 

There is a lot of data on here of full PSA rifles being fixed. Some of the guys have had good luck and gotten rifles that seem to function OK, but many have well documented issues that were easy to fix and PSA just doesn’t seem to want to change. Some of the parts you will need to stick with PSA on. You’ll want their upper receiver for certain and I’m not sure what other pieces they have that are proprietary. If you read through a few of the “fixing” threads, you should get a pretty good idea of what direction to go to make sure you get a well functioning rifle when you’re done. Get the right recoil system straight out of the gate, pick a decent barrel and you’ll be off to a good start. You don’t have to spend a fortune to build a solid rifle, but know what you’re buying before you get it and you’ll keep the headaches to a minimum if any at all.  

You will need one of PSA's uppers for sure. Here is a link to a recoil system that will work. If you don't want a carbine stock buy the fixed stock.

https://www.armalite.com/SearchForm.aspx?search=308 receiver extension&exclude=&mode=store&index=0&size=20&searchtype=0

Get a good barrel and BCG.

The PSA pivot pin and take down pin are their own length. On my pistol I used someone else's pins and they are just a tad long.

I have 2 PSA's. One I built and one they built. The one they built has a bunch of different parts now.

Good luck and have fun.

All of the above have given great advice.  Above all, stick to the PSA upper receiver.  That will reduce the problems that you will encounter.   Listen carefully to this guy.

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

I have 2 PSA's. One I built and one they built. The one they built has a bunch of different parts now.

PSA can be good if you put the right parts in it.  Read his build thread and pay attention to what did not work so you don't have to repeat his errors.

Here we go again.  I'm down with it, if proper parts selections are made, in advance - I'll work with it.  Otherwise, I'm done with the PSA stuff.  There's SO MUCH information here about them, even "these new Gen 3s!" that still suck. 

Massive research is needed, OP.  All these problems have already been fixed.  Just search out the information, and get ready to drill out your gas port and put a solid, REAL recoil system in it.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thank you for all the quick feedback and the welcome-aboards. I hadn’t found the PSA-specific forum thread until now and that’s a goldmine of great info which will likely address all my concerns.  I’ve decided I best stick with a PSA stripped upper if not a complete PSA upper assembly if the price is right. Seems there’s just no telling which upper will work with which lower despite being “DPMS compatible”. It just pains me to see the cost of a complete PSA upper go up over $100 in just a couple of months but I’m sure that’s across the board not just Palmetto... guess it’s not likely to get any better anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, shooterrex said:

If you go with the stripped upper you can put a better barrel in the gun than the one they send you. My factory barrel shot about 1.25 MOA. My Balastic Advantage barrel shoots 3/4 MOA.

The PSA upper is the same height as the DPMS high receiver when you are shopping for a rail.

^^^  He just spelled it all out, right there.  Just get their stripped upper receiver, and build it with a better barrel, and you'll be much happier in the long run.