• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fluted 416R Barrel in Vice

DustBuster

Hi... I just froze my barrel, heated the upper, to get a Very tight Faxon Heavy Fluted Barrel to go home.  I used two layers of very thick leather in a standard 4 inch vice.  It seemed to work good up to the required FT-lbs.  I did hear a “creak” one time upon tightening the vice.  I’m hoping that the sound was the leather or the vice itself.  I’m worried that I put too much pressure from two sides on the fluted barrel and cracked the thing.  Does anybody think this could have happened?  The job is done now, Barrel nut, Mil-spec grease, 50-60 ft-lbs.

Too late for me to use V blocks or anything else.  Later today I will try to simulate with a small steel pipe and see if the sound came from the “pipe” or the vice or leather 

Adios Amigos

I did do a test...with the same leather and 4” vise... using an Eskimo Ice Auger hand crank pipe , looks like steel 5/8 Tube...

i think it was the vise or leather that made the sound.  I put way more force on the little vise handle with the test... So I think my barrel is ok.  Unfortunately the feed ramps look a tiny bit shifted from perfect alignment... Damn!  Shoulda checked that before final torquing.. I might have to end up redoing it which will probably require reheating.

Thanks 392 Heminut.  yep it may not be worth worrying about.  By redoing it and adding a tiny tiny shim to take up the slop in locking tab space of the receiver, I could realign it better by a whisker.  The only advantage to that would be more surface area of the bolt sprockets would rest back against the metal of the barrel extension lugs.  I’ll post a picture.  The bolt does go in and locks, maybe more friction and wear might occur.  I’m 50/50.  I really do not want to screw with it again.  Maybe I’ll see how it feeds.  I’m having some dummy rounds made up.  Thanks for input

So what do you guys think... that alignment worth readjusting, or just filing a tad on the right ramp in the picture, or waiting till I fire the gun to see how she feeds.  Rotating it to perfection would put more surface area, however slight, in contact with the lugs of the extension and the bolt.  I do kind of have a case of ocd, but that is the name of the game it seems when building a sweet shooting LR.  I already have a replacement 15.5” gas tube on the way because of stuff I read on discussions here.

2 minutes ago, DustBuster said:

So what do you guys think... that alignment worth readjusting, or just filing a tad on the right ramp in the picture, or waiting till I fire the gun to see how she feeds.  Rotating it to perfection would put more surface area, however slight, in contact with the lugs of the extension and the bolt.  I do kind of have a case of ocd, but that is the name of the game it seems when building a sweet shooting LR.  I already have a replacement 15.5” gas tube on the way because of stuff I read on discussions here.

If it bugs you, just blend the ramps with a Dremel chainsaw sharpening bit, and fret no more.  If you haven't even fired it yet - then fire it first, and see if you're worrying over nothing.

Ok, thanks 98z5v... I saw your mention of that dremel bit on a different post... I’m probably a month away from gettin er all done... I’ll test fire it and see...

Lots of adjusting and tweaking makes this a fun project, sort of :).  I already solved a magpul magazine design problem... the new 20 and 25s were modified by that company to raise higher to lift bolt catch higher but they go too high.  I glued a tiny chunk of rubberized plastic from a 3prong to 2 prong outlet adapter to the rear of the “Follower” where it sits under the right curved top.  This fixed the design flaw of that follower tilting to the front too much.  I’ll see if that tweak works on the range.

3 minutes ago, DustBuster said:

I already solved a magpul magazine design problem... the new 20 and 25s were modified by that company to raise higher to lift bolt catch higher but they go too high.  I glued a tiny chunk of rubberized plastic from a 3prong to 2 prong outlet adapter to the rear of the “Follower” where it sits under the right curved top.  This fixed the design flaw of that follower tilting to the front too much.  I’ll see if that tweak works on the range.

I've never seen a problem with a MagPul LR/SR mags in one of these guns, so I'd love to see pictures of what you're talking about.  Both the mag, and the hardware that you're running.

Seeing that you're still months away from shooting this gun, you are working 100% in the hypothetical world right now.

Edited by 98Z5V

I just stumbled across the issue of magpul problems.  I had a 10rounder and was learning about the bolt catch after first putting it together... worked fine pulling Bolt with charge handle  when empty.  Then I got myself some bigger clips.  Practiced with those and the dang bolt carrier got stopped about 3/4 open.  The little bolt stop lifter Tab in the magazine was not catching quite as centered on the bolt catch prong, but good enough.  Instead it was too high, because of the magpul design change from the 10 to 20.

They designed a little relief step in the follower to allow it to come up higher apparently to fix an issue for other people.  But it goes up too high in the rear and the follower itself actually interferes with the bolt carrier.  I’m sure other people have failed to cycle because of it.  I’ve seen another post elsewhere maybe u tube of someone else discovered the thing was failing because the follower was tilted too much.  Well they suggested some other fix that worked for them, but I think my fix will work for my situation better.  Keeping the follower in the magazine Level by a little chunk of softish plastic glued to the terraced right back edge of new style magazine followe.  After doing this to two faulty brand new magazines, I fixed them.  My 10 rounder was fine as is new.

I will post a picture tomorrow of the fix but not the problem issue because I fixed it!

11 minutes ago, DustBuster said:

I just stumbled across the issue of magpul problems.  I had a 10rounder and was learning about the bolt catch after first putting it together... worked fine pulling Bolt with charge handle  when empty.  Then I got myself some bigger clips.  Practiced with those and the dang bolt carrier got stopped about 3/4 open.  The little bolt stop lifter Tab in the magazine was not catching quite as centered on the bolt catch prong, but good enough.  Instead it was too high, because of the magpul design change from the 10 to 20.

They designed a little relief step in the follower to allow it to come up higher apparently to fix an issue for other people.  But it goes up too high in the rear and the follower itself actually interferes with the bolt carrier.  I’m sure other people have failed to cycle because of it.  I’ve seen another post elsewhere maybe u tube of someone else discovered the thing was failing because the follower was tilted too much.  Well they suggested some other fix that worked for them, but I think my fix will work for my situation better.  Keeping the follower in the magazine Level by a little chunk of softish plastic glued to the terraced right back edge of new style magazine followe.  After doing this to two faulty brand new magazines, I fixed them.  My 10 rounder was fine as is new.

I will post a picture tomorrow of the fix but not the problem issue because I fixed it!

And you haven't shot this gun yet.  I go back to my previous statement, on this.

you are working 100% in the hypothetical world right now

You are looking for problems that don't exist, in a gun that you have never fired.  Get you gun together, shoot it, and THEN come back with problems that you actually encounter.  Stop looking for problems in the platform, that you have zero experience with.  You're creating your own Hell, right now, second-guessing everythingthat you think could be a problem. You're wasting your time, and you're wasting your own sanity on all this. 

Yes it is all in the theoretical word right now.  Just trying to avoid problems that “most likely would occur”.  Like my gas block port.  I have studied some from threads and learned that right now my 18” rifle length Faxon match series hole is on the small size of the range, it’s #43 or .089”.  I first had a Kak mid length Barrel that was defective ( loose barrel extension) and at the same time I knew I’d probably be getting a higher dose of gas, so I got their heavy carbine buffer.  Now with the rifle length barrel, I know their could be a chance of being undergassed so I preemptively ordered a 1/4 longer gas tube and know that theoretically I may be having to drill the port bigger.  Just researching as much as I can to minimize troubleshooting problems.  I still need to dimple the gas block and have two different gas blocks, a fixed and an adjustable.  Since the two have different dimple spacing, I will only be dimpling the first hole in case I need to switch between the two.  My receivers are Daytona Tactical and my handgaurd to be used is unfortunately an el cheapo Gun Tech ultra lightweight thin.  At least the rail lines up... the super el cheapo Mentium handgaurd I first bough did not fit as advertised and the barrel nut was super super wobbly.  At least the Guntech nut was only slightly wobbly loose.  My Extra tight thermal fitting of the barrel to receiver makes me happy though.  I betcha I could just take the barrel nut off and my barrel could not budge.  That’s about the status of this build.  Lucky I have gleaned info from you 98z5v and others.  I will be theoretically shooting 1” groups at 100 with my Chinese rear and front open sites!  Mark my words

image.thumb.jpeg.86e90f207fa76ced5bc5bf560cdfa3b1.jpeg

I’m just talking tough, wish it will be so.  When I first hunted open sights with my 30-06 model 70, when I was younger, I tried harder when sighting in. I think if I remember right, I could do that kind of group.  I can’t even shoot that good now with a 3-9 scope on that -06.  I will be happy with 5” open sight groups from that handgaurd and open sights from Mentium”USA”.  I retract my words from before.  Since saying that, I just read another thread here about Natural point of aim.. I would like to think I’m a naturally gifted shooter, but I am not.  Half the time I shoot I do not squeeze the trigger, I’m moving and when it feels right I spontaneously jerk that trigger.  I need to take it seriously like a NRA youth trained shooter.  In need to train.  I was only jesting.... someday maybe 1” groups with this new gun, if all of the stars if the universe align correctly