• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

16" AR-10

COMitch1991

Hello everyone, 

I just received my AR-10 yesterday, POF-USA P308 Edge Warhog with a 16.5" Barrel. I wanted a AR-10 that was piston operated so this was perfect, They have been out of stock for months so when they received stock I did not hesitate. I was torn between the 18" and 16.5". I went with the 16" because it is almost 2 lbs lighter and from the research I have done it seems the velocity loss is pretty minimal from the 18 to the 16, and it was all they had in stock. This is my SHTF rifle so I wanted something a little lighter that packs a punch and is decent at mid-long range. I may even get another 18" or 20" upper down the road. So my whole point of this post is because I have taken a lot of heat for going with a 16.5" barrel and I understand the differences but some say the 16.5" handicaps the .308 quite a bit. I wanted to Elk hunt with this but from the ballistics calculator I used it looks to be 250-300 yards would be the max lethal shot with enough velocity. I do not have to hunt with this rifle because I have plenty of other bolts but have always wanted to hunt elk with the AR platform. Wondering if anyone has elk hunted with an AR-10 especially with a 16" barrel. I am thinking of putting a can on it as well but I do not know much about the suppresser world so I will have to do some more research for that as well. Anyways I love the rifle regardless just looking for some second opinions.

AR-10.jpg

Hi Mitch. Nice looking 308 AR by the way. AR 10 is reserved for 308 Direct Impingement rifles manufactured by Armalite. Which is why this forum is called “308 AR” and not “AR 10”. You shouldn’t have any issue using it for Elk as long as your shot placement is good. We have a forum member who has killed a good number of elk with a 16” barrel 308 AR. He should be along presently and will fill you in. If you haven’t already, you might want to stop by Introductions and tell us a little about yourself.

3 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Hi Mitch. Nice looking 308 AR by the way. AR 10 is reserved for 308 Direct Impingement rifles manufactured by Armalite. Which is why this forum is called “308 AR” and not “AR 10”. You shouldn’t have any issue using it for Elk as long as your shot placement is good. We have a forum member who has killed a good number of elk with a 16” barrel 308 AR. He should be along presently and will fill you in. If you haven’t already, you might want to stop by Introductions and tell us a little about yourself.

Oh I see, Thank you for pointing that out. I am big into AR-15's but this is my first .308 AR. 

Sounds good I will do that. Thanks Sisco.

7 hours ago, COMitch1991 said:

I have taken a lot of heat for going with a 16.5" barrel and I understand the differences but some say the 16.5" handicaps the .308 quite a bit. I wanted to Elk hunt with this but from the ballistics calculator I used it looks to be 250-300 yards would be the max lethal shot with enough velocity. I do not have to hunt with this rifle because I have plenty of other bolts but have always wanted to hunt elk with the AR platform. Wondering if anyone has elk hunted with an AR-10 especially with a 16" barrel.

Paging @Magwa...   Your experience is needed, brother.  Elk.  16" barrels.  .308AR platforms.  Results.  Thanks, my man.  :hail:

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Paging @Magwa...   Your experience is needed, brother.  Elk.  16" barrels.  .308AR platforms.  Results.  Thanks, my man.  :hail:

Well i do not care what the ballistics page says ,all i can tell you is so far i have taken 6 bulls with my LR306 16 inch barrel I have made some mods as to weight but the combo of a 168 Barnes TTSX and the 308 id devastating to elk i have killed them with 4570,270,7MMSTW,muzzle loaders,7mag and this combo is the $hit for elk it anchors them, now I am not bragging but i am a pretty fair shot and bullet placement is the key ,behind the shoulder right on the crease half way up, longest shot so far was 376 yards i know i could kill one at 500.....have no fear of 308 in a 16 inch barrel just do your part.....

PS I hunt with a can I attach it before shooting but never without it AAC 762-sdn-6

IMG_20201015_112238152.jpg

IMG_20171011_104231655 [1280x768].jpg

1031150956.jpg

Edited by Magwa

4 hours ago, Magwa said:

Well i do not care what the ballistics page says ,all i can tell you is so far i have taken 6 bulls with my LR306 16 inch barrel I have made some mods as to weight but the combo of a 168 Barnes TTSX and the 308 id devastating to elk i have killed them with 4570,270,7MMSTW,muzzle loaders,7mag and this combo is the $hit for elk it anchors them, now I am not bragging but i am a pretty fair shot and bullet placement is the key ,behind the shoulder right on the crease half way up, longest shot so far was 376 yards i know i could kill one at 500.....have no fear of 308 in a 16 inch barrel just do your part.....

PS I hunt with a can I attach it before shooting but never without it AAC 762-sdn-6

Thanks for your input. Nice bulls! That is awesome to hear because I really want to take this bad boy out on a hunt this fall. I think 500 yards is about my limit but I probably would not push over 400 anyways so that should be perfect. 

Bull I took in November with my bolt 7mm RM at 363 yards

ELK 4.jpg

Edited by COMitch1991

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Nice elk Mitch. I knew Magwa would be along. He obviously knows of what he speaks. Keep us informed how that new rifle performs as I don’t know if any one else on the forum has one.

Thank you, Yes it is great to find someone who has experience with this set up, Thanks for everyone's help. I will certainly update as I go.