• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M14 Bullpup ~ The evolution continues

H2O MAN

That's pretty cool!

It brings me joy to see armature firearm engineers pushing the envelope.

Thanks!

The manufacturer and sales manager are not real familiar with the M14, but they have introduced a very good product out of the box.

I hope they continue to push the envelope with product improvements.

Mounting optics on the 15.25 inches of top rail you get with the Rogue bullpup chassis has been a challenge for me.

I found that the reticule needed to sit up high, higher than I'm used to. Finding the eye relief sweet spot was also a challenge.

I tried several different combinations and the one pictured below seems to meet/exceed my wants and needs.

Magpul MBUS - Gen II, LaRue Tactical LT608, Aimpoint CompC-2X 2MOA, EOTech FTS 3X magnifier - Gen II.

* The MBUS required some work with a file to fit... this was an easy modification.

I am able to co-witness the MBUS through the Aimpoint and I will eventually have an Aimpoint Comp M4s for my bullpup.

th_IMG_6526.jpg

th_IMG_6522.jpg

I am now working on attaching a sling to the chassis in the most efficient way.

1 point or 2 point?

I run a Magpul MS2 on my AR15 with 3 QD sling mounts, one on the hand guard, one at the receiver end plate  and one near the end of the butt stock. I wanted options, lol.

My other rifle (308) has one fixed sling mount at the receiver end plate. This was because I was cutting weight to stay close to 7lbs.

I also use the Magpul. I like the type of links they use, although I wish they'd use different sling material like the Vickers has. I don't really practice with the sling like I should, but have found that I don't like a single point setup with the .308 AR's due to their heavier weight, I do like it sometimes on the small platform AR's though.

I also use the Magpul. I like the type of links they use, although I wish they'd use different sling material like the Vickers has.

That's exactly why I don't have the MS2, and do have the BDS Tactical.  No kidding.  Used the MS2 one single time, and the tubing is too narrow for me.  After a full day of having the rifle on you, it starts to cut into you.

The BDS has 1 1/2" wide material, and it distributes the weight on you a hell of alot better, over time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent choice on the front sling adapters, my good man!  <thumbsup>  I didn't want to be so bold as to suggest that item, especially after mentioning the sling to use, but I'm glad you found that one.  <laughs>

BDS Enhanced Dual Sling attached

to the Magpul RSA and MSA.

11.28.11_small.JPG

Bullpup-front_small.JPG ... Bullpup-rear_small.JPG

Custom fitting the rear sling mount to the chassis was not easy, but the results were well worth the effort.

Nice job! I like that sling I may have to try one. Have you ever tried the drum mag in that, or is it a nogo as with the JAE stock?

The X-14 that I received did not fit any of my Chinese receivers. The tower was wider than the mag well.

I returned it to the manufacturer with clear pictures and measurements... they said they would fix it... that was about 2 months ago.

I emailed the owner and his partner just last night and requested that they come up with a solution or a full refund.

My short time with the drum indicates that it will fit the bullpup, but I can't confirm that just yet.

• 2 months later...

Update:

It's been fun, but I no longer have a functional bullpup M14... I have removed the action and accessories, they have

all been set aside for use in a new M14.CA Blackfeather stock that's heading my way from the great white north.

I have decided to sell my modified #1Rogue stock to a friend... he will continue the evolution I started.

• 2 weeks later...

The ROGUE bullpup conversion, in my opinion, may be a decent Range Toy/Competition rifle set-up,

but it has no place in a working rifle role. The SAGE EBR is a better choice in a working rifle role.

I have been asked about it's weight.

The basic kit weighs just over 6 pounds… that’s before you install a barreled action and accessories.

A complete Scout barreled action weighs just under 6 pounds… a naked Rogue will weigh 12 pounds and it only gets heavier from that point.

If you are considering buying a Rogue there are a few things you should know about it.

1. It's heavy... it's heavier than any of my SAGE EBRs and TROY MCS that I've owned.

2. The Rogue trigger uses a steel rod to reach back to the rifles trigger, you feel the added linkage and the rod rattles.

3. Mag changes require a 'reach around' technique that is cumbersome and slow.

4. Optics require additional height... I used a riser and a set of tall rings to get proper scope alignment.

5. Unlike the SAGE EBR, the Rogue chassis is not designed to enhance your rifles accuracy.

6. The Rogue conversion kit is expensive, expect to spend around $1k to get a basic kit.

Bottom line:

The Rogue is probably the best conversion kit currently available, but it could be better... it could be a lot lighter.

The initial ‘grin factor’ when you first start using the JTac Rogue is HUGE and it can last a month or more, but it does

fade away and then you are forced to accept the reality that you are stuck with a fat bottomed girl that rides a Moped.

Dino Brunetti, the National Sales Director for JUGGERNAUT TACTICAL, INC. reluctantly admitted to me that JTac sales have sky rocketed and it's mainly due to my sharing positive reviews, detailed pictures, honest evaluations and my practical modifications. It seems that I do a much better job of marketing their product than they have... that's why Dino sought me out in the first place. Understand that I receive no compensation from JTac for my hard work - nothing! In fact, JTach actually stole sales and commissions from me. The worst thing about Dino, JTac/Juggernaut Tactical is their total lack of professionalism... they are dishonest.

Buyer beware.