• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M5 308 build list under $1200

MikeMarine

It's probably do-able but I wasn't that lucky/patient parts shopping.

There are some pretty good prices at some places for Ballistic Advantage barrels when they pop up in stock.  Granite Ridge Outfitters and Right To Bear for example.  I've also seen em listed at Moriarti Armaments, Rainier Arms, and Primary Arms.  Granite Ridge has a "MOA" discount code and Right To Bear seems to offer free shipping on the whole order with at least some Ballistic Advantage barrels (maybe all? not sure).

I am a noob with 308 AR's though, no connections and not a lot of experience with many of the vendors either.  So I'm learning my way around aside from the ones I've been buying other stuff from.

Not sure what you are looking to build but these are a couple things that *might* be of interest:

KAK Industry has KAK-branded UTG Pro Super-Slim 15" (14.65") octagon shaped (and full pic rail on top) M-LOK handguards from KAK industry for $185. (SKU MTU026SSMB-KAK) You might be able to find a UTG MTU026SSMB cheaper elsewhere, they list on Leapers site for $139 and they have a list of dealers, but KAK had (and still HAS) these in stock.  Couldn't find one in stock anywhere else on Leapers' list of dealers but you might have better luck, this was a few weeks ago.  Seems like a good solid rail and it is definitely slim.  Will use this on the 18" barrel build in the hopper. 

Another handguard that seemed nice and wasn't as expensive as SLR 308 handguards are the Samson SXS Lightweight, you might like that.  They have another series that are in the $185 range also (SXS 762 series), pretty similar to the UTG.

https://www.samson-mfg.com/308-ar10.html

There may be  some signficantly less expensive handguard options but I had a heck of a time finding anything in stock I was interested in -- always seemed to strike out on the high vs. low profile, M-LOK vs Keymod, length, etc. I was looking for.  (I was looking for DPMS High M-LOK).

LPK's I got at KAK Industry too.  Someone may disagree and again I am a noob to 308 AR's so take anything I say with a grain of salt, I was relying on reviews which seem to be pretty darn good overall on the quality of KAK LPK's.  But they seem to cost less than some of the more famous brands.    I dunno.

Edited by Tack14

On 4/20/2021 at 8:27 PM, MikeMarine said:

Have connections at Aero Precision and Stag Arms, but curious if someone could share a full build list under $1200 for a 308 with a 16” barrel.  Not married to the two companies and looking for a full parts list.  

Like others have stated - you couldn't have picked a worse time to decide to build one of these.

Go rip up the Intro Section and tell us all about yourself.  It's right here:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

MikeMarine I forgot about this handguard I saw at Primary Arms, $91 if it tickles your fancy and at this moment they are still in stock.

https://www.primaryarms.com/aimsports-ar-10-dpms-high-13.5-m-lok-handguard-mtm13h308

13.5" DPMS High, M-LOK

I almost jumped on it for my shorty pistol build but didn't like the flare in the middle for that application. Would probably look nice for a longer barrel though.

All "Tack14 is a 308 AR Noob" disclaimers apply.. 

Edited by Tack14

• 4 weeks later...

I started getting parts for an 80% AR 308 build a few years ago, but then kind of stalled when the plandemic started & I concentrated on finishing AR15 builds.  A couple months ago I decided I'd start in on the 308 build again.   BCG's were one of the hardest things to find, I didn't find anything I really wanted, finally settled on this one.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/losok-custom-arms-ar-10-semi-auto-bolt-carrier-group-nitrite-finish?a=2241595

Don't know if it's any good, but It'll have to do for now at least.

6 hours ago, 11C1P said:

I started getting parts for an 80% AR 308 build a few years ago, but then kind of stalled when the plandemic started & I concentrated on finishing AR15 builds.  A couple months ago I decided I'd start in on the 308 build again.   BCG's were one of the hardest things to find, I didn't find anything I really wanted, finally settled on this one.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/losok-custom-arms-ar-10-semi-auto-bolt-carrier-group-nitrite-finish?a=2241595

Don't know if it's any good, but It'll have to do for now at least.

I just picked up one of those. It looks well made. I haven't put in anything and shot it yet. Just ordered it as a spare. But then again there is a heavy barrel creedmoor barrel and an aero upper laying on the workbench.