• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

ArmaLite AR-10(T) - Initial Thoughts / Questions

BigNate

So - I've recently picked up an ArmaLite AR-10(T) and I got out this weekend and put a few rounds through it.  The glass that came with it is pretty basic and I'm pretty rusty -  and given these things I'm really happy with how it shot.   For whatever reason I took a photo of the first group but no others.    Anyway - the first 100 yard group is posted below - and I knew the flyer was a flyer when I let it go...  

So - one question... The cam from the BCG has a noticeable groove in it (see the red oval).   I know in the auto engine world anything that can "catch a nail" is a problem - and I can catch a nail in this thing.   I'd guess it is a few thousandths deep.   I've never seen this sort of groove in an AR-15 platform cam - not sure how worried I should be? 

AR-group.jpg

AR-Cam.jpg

Edited by BigNate
Extra info

I would replace that. JMO

I'm assuming this is a used gun? That particular part needs to be well lubed. Probably best with grease. I've replaced a few of those in AR15's and it made a difference in smoothness of movement when cycling by hand.

Edited by mtrmn
extra info

8 hours ago, BigNate said:

not sure how worried I should be? 

I'll let you worry for me. Somewhere north of 3,000 rounds on this cam pin from a 10-B, always kept it greased, didn't always put it back in oriented in the same way but I figured if I just put it in at random it would even out the wear, it's pretty evenly worn anyway. I have spares so I should really swap it out but my dumb arse just put it back in the gun after these pics, maybe next time.........

IMG_4303.thumb.jpg.4947bfe6d726c28f015b939d22ac0c0d.jpgIMG_4304.thumb.jpg.a97f8116396086cf3b72e4c24462b936.jpg

11 hours ago, BigNate said:

So - one question... The cam from the BCG has a noticeable groove in it (see the red oval).   I know in the auto engine world anything that can "catch a nail" is a problem - and I can catch a nail in this thing.   I'd guess it is a few thousandths deep.   I've never seen this sort of groove in an AR-15 platform cam - not sure how worried I should be? 

AR-Cam.jpg

That's probably carbon buildup.  Scrub the hell out of that ring with a good brass-brush and some solvent, and I'll be that it "disappears."  That's not a groove in the cam pin - that's old shiit left over, from firing.  Your nail isn't catching on a groove - it's catching on a ridge of carbon...  

If I'm wrong, I'll buy it from you as a spare.  :thumbup:

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's probably carbon buildup.  Scrub the hell out of that ring with a good brass-brush and some solvent, and I'll be that it "disappears."  That's not a groove in the cam pin - that's old shiit left over, from firing.  Your nail isn't catching on a groove - it's catching on a ridge of carbon...  

If I'm wrong, I'll buy it from you as a spare.  :thumbup:

Pretty sure that it is an indentation - but I'll pull it apart tonight and be sure.   Sounds like I'll replace it - and keep it as a spare... 🙂

10 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I'll let you worry for me. Somewhere north of 3,000 rounds on this cam pin from a 10-B, always kept it greased, didn't always put it back in oriented in the same way but I figured if I just put it in at random it would even out the wear, it's pretty evenly worn anyway. I have spares so I should really swap it out but my dumb arse just put it back in the gun after these pics, maybe next time.........

IMG_4303.thumb.jpg.4947bfe6d726c28f015b939d22ac0c0d.jpgIMG_4304.thumb.jpg.a97f8116396086cf3b72e4c24462b936.jpg

Thanks sir... same pattern.   and it looks like yours is deeper.   As noted in the other reply - I'm guessing I'll buy a replacement and keep this one as a spare...