• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Guy Intro

Retired JM

All,

Stumbled across this site quite by accident while looking for some ideas for a new .308 AR. Read a bunch of posts and threads and thought it'd be a good idea to join.

I retired at E8 in 2008 after 23 years of service in the Army, 11B5M. Spent most of my career at Bragg with 1 BCT and 18 ABC. Also have Stateside tours of Campbell, Jackson, and Sill. Overseas - West Berlin, Wilflecken, and JSA South Korea. Two Tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan. Now I'm just an average guy, white collar type, one each.   

I currently own an Armalite AR10A4 carbine with NM trigger. I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised with it. I was expecting a 2 inch battle rifle. With plinking ammo, it would routinely do 1.5" groups, with match ammo about 1.25". I replaced the forend with the Armalite railed FF sleeve and get consistant 1" groups with match ammo. I've also replaced the M4 buttstock with a Magpul ACS unit. It's also been super reliable through 1000 rounds or so. It's rapidly becoming one of my favorite sticks.

Happy to be here and hope to add positively to the discussion(s).