• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hornady Black Grendel ammo - $29.99/box

Armed Eye Doc

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That's GREAT loaded ammo for Grendel. 

Just had the nephew drop off a box of this last night, his buddy has a Creedmoor, I benefit from a no return policy for once. :laffs:I remember you being impressed with this load so I started squirrelling it away before I even had a functioning Grendel, and thankful I did :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Just had the nephew drop off a box of this last night, his buddy has a Creedmoor, I benefit from a no return policy for once. :laffs:I remember you being impressed with this load so I started squirrelling it away before I even had a functioning Grendel, and thankful I did :thumbup:

It's probably the best loaded Match ammo I've ever used, in any caliber.  There's some badass NEXUS ammo out there, but this is the best Match load that Hornady churns out, caliber-regardless.  My main goal in life, when I got into Grendel, was to make better hand-loaded ammo than this stuff, and it was a chore to do. 

2 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

What's a good loaded factory hunting round for the grendel other than the fusion?

The Hornady 123gr SST loaded ammo is mean as fuk.  It's a great loaded hunting ammo.  If you can find the Nosler 129gr Accubond LR loaded ammo, that's about the best shiit out there for hunting.  Search hard, and it'll turn up somewhere, sometime, but it's nasty.  Look for this:

main product photo

Just for the record, this is hands-down the baddest factory loaded match ammunition that I've ever shot, and I've been shooting it for 10 years+.  It's made improvements over the years, and it's now badder than ever, as it leaves the BHA factory today.  The very first time I ever shot this stuff was prior to an Afghani-land deployment in late 2003, just so we could zero our M4A1s for it - and we were off!  

It took me the better part of 5 years after starting shooting it, to come up with a final load that actually beats it.  There isn't a factory anywhere, in any other caliber, that can beat the results of this stuff, and what it does.

2" groups at 300 yards, and it has to be a 10-shot string.  Or it doesn't leave the factory.  That's from an 18" barrel, too.  Mk12 barrel.

Edited by 98Z5V

14 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

Thanks guys, i'll look for those. i know the fusion don't exist right now. i didn't know you could hunt with that black. i have 100 rounds of it now. I don't think mine has a red tip, i'll have to look.

The Hornady Black Grendel is 123gr ELD-Match projectile, but there's no reason you can't hunt that.  It's going through, what you shoot.  You can hunt with any boat tail hollow point, too, don't let the naysayers tell you any different.  That 5.56 Mk262 ammo has been hunting 2-legged critters for 2 decades now, in some pretty wild terrain, and it performs extremely well on tissue and bone. :thumbup:

People think, for some reason, that you can't kill shiit DRT with match ammo.  Military history proves this assumption wrong.  Shot placement is key, as always.

Edited by 98Z5V