• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone here build a bolt action rifle?

imschur

Im thinking it would be a great project to get a custom barreled action, pick out my own stock etc, or am I better off getting the entire package from a builder?

I think I something bigger then .308 but with ammo thats readily available and accurate. .308 is not out of the question though.

Any thoughts, opinions and advice would be appreciated.

Buy an action, a barrel blank, and a stock. Have the action trued, and give the smith a dummy round with the bullet you want to use and have him throat to match. Pillar bed the stock and float the barrel. And don't forget the trigger, you'll need a really good one or the rest of the work won't matter. Ditto the scope. Figure out the most it will cost and then double it. No matter what the smith says figure one to two years to get it back. God Bless you and let us know how it shoots.

Ive built several sporterized mausers and a few others as a hobby. right now the only ones I have left(messy divorce) are an Argentine 1909 mauser rebarreled to 300WSM and my Win mdl 70 heavy bench gun in 308. I have ALOT of hours in the mauser, hell the stock alone has 18 coats of hand rubbed tung oil.

post-20-136297263265_thumb.jpg

post-20-136297263267_thumb.jpg

I just found a rifle, I have wanted for some time, on the internet.  I will eventually have the action blue-printed and have the bolt re-sleeved or just buy a replacement bolt after I get the raceway in the receiver reamed out which is part of the blue-printing process.  I have not decided yet.

It is a Remington 700ss 5R in .300 Win Mag - it is the long action (with a 26 inch barrel) with a pretty decent trigger set a 3.5 lbs.  I paid $950 for it.  Even if I have all the work done on it, it will come in about a $1000 under what a custom rifle will cost and I will be able to do it at my pace as the money comes available.  At the very least I see myself getting a trueing or blue-printing job done and then latter on a stock, barrel, and trigger and lastly a removable box magazine set up which will replace the cheap plastic (I believe) magazine bottom plate and trigger guard.

I used to own a Remington 40XB in .300 Win Mag but I sold it for grad school.  I still regret that desperate move on my part. 

• 2 months later...

Im thinking it would be a great project to get a custom barreled action, pick out my own stock etc, or am I better off getting the entire package from a builder?

I think I something bigger then .308 but with ammo thats readily available and accurate. .308 is not out of the question though.

Any thoughts, opinions and advice would be appreciated.

Hey man, I didn't build this myself, but I did spec out all the parts and brands that I wanted for it....its a custom .30-06

PB080012-1.jpg

Here's the parts list:

Stock: Manners T4A (Custom weight @ #4.5)

Action: Rem 700 LA w/ PT&G Bolt (Trued & Blueprinted)

Trigger: Rifle Basix set @ #2.5

DBM: Badger Ordnance M5

Barrel: LW-50 26" #7 Contour

Rings/Base: Seekins Precision

Optic: S&B PMII 4x16-50 w/ Premier Reticles Gen 2 XR reticle

If you go for a Manners stock, Tom Manners is a great guy to talk to and you dont have to weight nearly as long for a Manners vs. McMillian

Good luck! I love my bolt guns!

Damn Ed, that thing is nice!  I love the DBM setups (that a Seekins, too?).  How much is built into that Seekins base - about 20 MOA?  Very nice boomstick ya got there.  <thumbsup>

Thanks dude......unfortunately not, Seekins wasn't done prototyping theirs when I placed the order for mine, its a Badger Ordnance M5 using 300WM mags that had the feed lips tweaked to hold the 06 rounds...if I push hard, I can get about 7 rounds per mag, but I usually load 5 per just for easy counting

Yup..the Seekins base is 20MOA

Next bolt gun I build will have either Seekins or CDI bottom metal......CDI just came out with a setup to accomodate Savage 110 LA's  ;D

I can't wait to thread this thing too!!!

Thanks dude....I would say make a list of criteria and what you exactly plan to do with the bolt gun and go from there.....I can recommend a few builders and I can recommend one NOT to use......and I'd be more than happy to field any questions  and hopefully be able to give ya an answer :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

yes  and no .. re barreled a savage.. buy action cheap easy to re-barrel

what are you wanting to build?  you can pick up mouser on gunbroker around 100-150. use the action for a total build,  but  original bolt face will make you stay with in certain calibers.  or do you plan on buying custom receiver?    the hard part for most maybe having the nerve to go for it. and remember to post info as you build. 

I say go for the total build,

I am confused,, are you talking about having someone else build a rifle for you?  you pick out all the parts they put it together or are you going to build it yourself?  it is possible to hand chamber a weapon without lathe,  check cost of having one built and cost of buying tools that you can re-use and see which is best, 

Me I want to building everything I shoot. brownells sells the tools  and has allot of video's on how to proceed on a build. 

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Brownells has started what is described as a multi installment tutorial on building an accurized Rem 700 bolt gun. I'ts got me very interested in the idea of trying my hand at a bolt gun build. I'm just not sure how it would work out financially compared to a .308 AR build? Anyone care to comment on that?

Since I sold my custom '06, i've been itching for another precision bolt gun and I've been talking to Mike Bush from Underground Skunkworks (www.undergroundsw.com) and he is going to be doing the next build for me....he is a great guy to talk to and will answer question that you have for him....the next round I'm going with is brand new and will be based of the .375 Ruger......IIRC, it will be called the .300 Accuracy International (http://www.undergroundsw.com/page5.php), Mike is still working with AI and Hornady with this round and a .338 version, but it will pretty much look like this one... http://www.undergroundsw.com/page7.php