• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

interchangeable parts?

Spaniky73

You're kind of on the right track. Most stocks and pistol grips work. Triggers are also pretty universal.

The PRS comes in two version 7.62 and 5.56, there's no modification necessary.

Hand guards, barrel nuts are rifle specific. Also the bcg is type specific. Barrel devices differ from AR15's to large format AR's and caliber.

What exactly are you looking for, maybe we can help???

A CAA grip (Brownell's) is one of the nicer things I did for my DPMS factory rifle.  The grip is relatively inexpensive;  has three inserts for the front edge and three inserts for the back edge to give you the best feel and hold.  A couple of minutes work to sort out and assemble to your rifle.  Fit it to the rifle alone:  that second spring (trying to escape from the bottom of the receiver) will cause some noises not fit fer wimmen ner chilldrun to hear.  'Course,  CAA might have put a seat into the grip by now for that second spring.  But that would make it too easy.

Like Robo said above, the basic parts that will interchange into the RRA guns from the other .308 ARs will be triggers, lower parts kits, pistol grips, and stocks.  Any kind of back up sights will work, as long as they attach to a Pic rail piece.  The RRA barrels are threaded 5/8" x 24, so muzzle devices will cross over.  BCGs and charging handles will not cross over.  Rails will not cross over.  DPMS and Armalite pattern barrels will not cross over. 

Here's the Big Warning from RRA:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=451

Also, check this NOTE written on the free float tube page about upper receiver threading:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=537

I would love to find out what other stocks and buffers are available mainly. I also want to know what other parts are out there that I do not have to go through RRA for.

This is what I was providing for you.  Measure the length of the buffer you have currently, provide that measurement, and then you can compare what else is available. Stocks have already been covered.

This is what I was providing for you.  Measure the length of the buffer you have currently, provide that measurement, and then you can compare what else is available. Stocks have already been covered.

Sorry if I am being thick headed but you are saying that the stocks for most of the 308 platforms will cross over. I will mesure my buffer today. Thank you.

They all mount on a receiver extension that's the same length as the AR-15.  The RRA BCG is longer, so I suspect the buffer is shorter, so they can both fit into the same length of space - no other way it can work.  Not sure what options you'll have for buffers...  <dontknow>

Based on that info, man, you could literally Google "AR-15 .750 gas block," and anything you find will work on your rifle.  Only two things gas block-related) would need to be considered: 1. is the gas block I'm looking at going to fit under my freefloat rail/handguard? (if you're going that route), and 2. What gas tube am I going to need for this barrel?

2nd question I put up there, just because I have no idea what gas system lengths RRA uses on their .308s.  I'm not sure if they're some proprietary, weird length or not - that's definitely something to research.  <thumbsup>

I don't think RRA's gas tubes are proprietary. I just set my Predator HP up with a 260 Remington barrel and having removed the stock 308 barrel, block and tube, I laid the tube next to a generic one I purchased for the new barrel. They're the same length, with the same bends.

In the case of mine, it is a rifle length tube. I can't comment on shorter gas systems. I'm not into window dressing my rigs and for a reasonable price, the Troy low profile, blackened Stainless Steel gas block I bought from Midway for the 260 bull barrel, fits beautifully under the stock handguard that comes with the rifle. Before it arrived, I was using an aluminum quad-rail block I had laying around for testing. In order for a portion of it to fit in, under the handguard, I had to mill down one picatinny island at the end. Not sure what the sections between the slots on a picatinny are called. The .936 Troy block I got was well made, with a nice, close-tolerance fit.

Here what the .750 one looks like.

275588.jpg

Hoot

• 11 years later...

I have a rra lar-8 carbine. I want to change out the mid length hand guard. I can't find one that's 8 1/4. It looks as if I will need to change out the gas block for one that's lower, and find a free floating type. But I was informed the barrel nut it specific to the lar-8.

Can anyone help me out here!