• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Testing Out a T-Shirt Design

imschur

For me the model should have man boobs to be more accurate

Are they silk screened. If so a few thoughts.  T-shirts can be purchased commercially for anywhere from $1.50 to $$3.50 a piece depending on the brand or quality.  I can give you the name of a couple of suppliers if you need it. 

If you have a silk screen business nearby you may want to check to see what they would charge to do this.  You'll need a good vector graphic for them to make the screen.  I think this would be a MUCH cheaper for you to purchase than Zazzle.  I know my local guy has offered to let me purchase my own shirts and then it's .50 cents per pull per color once the screens are made.  Not really something I want to get into though.

Just a thought that might save you some money and make more money to put into the site.  <thumbsup>

Are they silk screened. If so a few thoughts.  T-shirts can be purchased commercially for anywhere from $1.50 to $$3.50 a piece depending on the brand or quality.  I can give you the name of a couple of suppliers if you need it. 

If you have a silk screen business nearby you may want to check to see what they would charge to do this.  You'll need a good vector graphic for them to make the screen.  I think this would be a MUCH cheaper for you to purchase than Zazzle.  I know my local guy has offered to let me purchase my own shirts and then it's .50 cents per pull per color once the screens are made.  Not really something I want to get into though.

Just a thought that might save you some money and make more money to put into the site.  <thumbsup>

This one is not silk screened, there was a 12 piece minimum on those.

Thanks for the info. I also want the Hanes shirts with no tag.

The thing with this shirt and Zazzle is a short term solution anyone can order without me getting involved or me having to shell out cash. I want to see how it all looks.

Can I convert my psd to AI for the vector files? I just downloaded a demo of Illustrator. Hoping to  get it done within the trial window.

It may or may not do a good job.  In Illustrator you have to "Live Trace" it to make it vector.  The only problem is that if it's complex it may be difficult to do as it separates everything out into it's own shape.  If there is more than one color each color has to be a separate layer/object.  This would be an additional charge if you have them silk screened.  Zazzle is most likely using one of two technologies.  Now if it were designed in Illustrator that would be perfect for screen printing  multiple colors.

1.  SOJAR type material which is a material you print on using an Eco-solvent printer and then heat pressed onto the garment (it's a big sticker in reality that melts into the fabric.

2.  Plastisol Transfers which are screen printed and then heat pressed onto the fabric.

Now even thought I just posted the above screen printing can be done using another method which is to separate out the CMYK values and your screen printer may be able to do that with what you have.  Here's a video of a print using CMYK Screen Printing: 

I actually use both Photoshop and Illustrator as they have their own strong points.

Once the trial for Illustrator runs out download a free program called "Inkscape"  it's a free program that does a lot of what Illustrator does.  If your save your design in Illustrator to an "SVG" file Inkscape will pull it up and you can edit it in Inkscape.  Illustrator is much better than Inkscape though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well much to my surprise the test shirt was  made in USA. It was still crap though unless you like paper thin shirts. Overall the concept worked though and screen printing will be how the real shirts are made. I have also learned the Hanes shirts are not as good as they were. There's another brand that appears to be of higher quality but it's the same shirts larue uses. I think we should have this sorted out by end of March.

Just an idea to toss in since this is about 308AR.com apparel...

I would love the idea of some patches. Our company shirts are pretty much pit crew style button up shirts and even with our own info on them, lots of room for patches. So far we have some Magpul patches and some other misc companies.

I would not hesitate to toss on a 308AR.com patch.

As far as shirts go - I don't wear t-shirts a whole lot (cept' maybe as an under shirt), would like to see a polo version. Would probably buy that!

:hethan: