• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My weird build journey... becoming the "Theseus' Ship" of AR-10s

FOGeologist

On 9/5/2022 at 6:02 AM, FOGeologist said:

I am getting loads of great advice in this thread. Thanks for your help!

Apparently, you are not.  You blew this advice right off, in that new thread of yours.  See below...

On 9/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, 98Z5V said:

Armalite AR_10 Carbine extension, VLTOR A5 extensions, and the MAgPul SR-25/M110 extension are all 7 5/8" internal depth, and will work with 3.250" buffers. 

On 9/5/2022 at 9:02 AM, FOGeologist said:

I am getting loads of great advice in this thread. Thanks for your help!

"Ship of Theseus" You're the first person I've run across to reference a thought experiment in Greek Philosophy.  I wonder how many understand what it is?  Anyway just cool there's someone else out there that knows its meaning.

On 9/14/2022 at 9:31 AM, E5232 said:

"Ship of Theseus" You're the first person I've run across to reference a thought experiment in Greek Philosophy.  I wonder how many understand what it is?  Anyway just cool there's someone else out there that knows its meaning.

Lol, thanks. I have replaced the upper and lower, I'm on my second barrel, second gas block, second bolt catch, second set of pins, second stock, second buffer tube, fourth spring, second buffer, second gas tube...

It might actually be easier to list the parts that HAVEN'T been changed.

40 minutes ago, FOGeologist said:

Lol, thanks. I have replaced the upper and lower, I'm on my second barrel, second gas block, second bolt catch, second set of pins, second stock, second buffer tube, fourth spring, second buffer, second gas tube...

It might actually be easier to list the parts that HAVEN'T been changed.

I'm send you a private message, with some thoughts, as opinions run rampant, and I've seen a lot of badgering on here,  as everyone is the authority. Then they argue and someone loses time they'll never get back.   I'm new here and just a simple individual so don't want to ruffle feathers.  I'll send you my thoughts, and you can choose what to do with them. 

On 9/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, E5232 said:

opinions run rampant

I've seen a lot of badgering on here

everyone is the authority.

they argue and someone loses time they'll never get back.  

All that followed by this:

I'm new here and just a simple individual so don't want to ruffle feathers.

Too late, I think considering what you've accused us of, you have a lot of explaining to do.

How you want to interact privately with other members is 100% your business, but you don't get to be here and benefit from all the wealth of information the forum offers about the platform, AND publicly undermine the many members in good standing who have made it what it is today. 

So explain yourself. You've got 24 hours.

2 hours ago, E5232 said:

I'm send you a private message, with some thoughts, as opinions run rampant, and I've seen a lot of badgering on here,  as everyone is the authority. Then they argue and someone loses time they'll never get back.   I'm new here and just a simple individual so don't want to ruffle feathers.  I'll send you my thoughts, and you can choose what to do with them. 

Wow!  4 posts and you have this place completely figured out!  Amazing! 

Sorry to inform you but the elders of this forum ARE the authority of this platform.  They have probably fixed and got functioning more 308 sized ARs than most manufacturers.  Especially since the manufacturers prove time and time again that they often have no clue how to get these things to work all the time every time.  These guys fix rifles over the internet using techniques they've learned spending their own time and money, over the course of years, and they do it for free!  All that is asked is that the person asking for help LISTENS to the advice, and doesn't insist they know better.  THEY DON'T! 

The guys that listen, heed the advice and put it into practice get their malfunctioning rifles working and they end up being happy, and hopefully they learned something along the way.  Then a lot of them decide to stick around because this place is way more than a gun forum,  its a community.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:05 AM, dpete said:

Wow!  4 posts and you have this place completely figured out!  Amazing! 

Sorry to inform you but the elders of this forum ARE the authority of this platform.  They have probably fixed and got functioning more 308 sized ARs than most manufacturers.  Especially since the manufacturers prove time and time again that they often have no clue how to get these things to work all the time every time.  These guys fix rifles over the internet using techniques they've learned spending their own time and money, over the course of years, and they do it for free!  All that is asked is that the person asking for help LISTENS to the advice, and doesn't insist they know better.  THEY DON'T! 

The guys that listen, heed the advice and put it into practice get their malfunctioning rifles working and they end up being happy, and hopefully they learned something along the way.  Then a lot of them decide to stick around because this place is way more than a gun forum,  its a community.

^^^ Truth. 

And a word of follow-up...

I got a very nice PM in the way of explanation from @E5232 and a very sincere apology as well. 

I'll leave it up to him to follow up with you guys publicly, but this has been addressed by him privately and I leave it up to the community at large to converse with him about it publicly.

No disciplinary action will be taken following his prompt polite response.