• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M1 Garand

bigt77

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys figured you would get a kick out of that.A boot would have more sense than that,fukin civilain.H&R from between 54/56.Tought I saw 11-55 on barrel I'm 10-55. <dontknow> The balance is perfect.The history.Many in my family and wife [her uncle jumped into France] have carried this badass rifle.Could not find AE ammo.Ordered 5 PPU 150gr. 30-06.

Ahhhhhh.....Garand thumb. Like Tom said. That's "usually" something you only do once. Even with beer (can't back you on this one Edge)......it usually only happens once.........cause it hurts so Fcuking bad. Kinda like the Darwin rule..........................it only takes ONE time. <laughs>

There's a technique where you use the back of your right hand (pinky side, like the heel of your hand) to hold that charger back (from the top), while you load that CLIP. Yes, that one IS a clip, not a "magazine."  :))

You don't release that right hand until that sheit clicks into place, then LET IT FLY! 

I DID NOT drop the rifle :ugone2far: ,I was cool as ice while the man in my head was screaming WTF :'( .I also have the CMP book where on the front in letters big enough for Ray Charles to see said "READ FIRST" <dontknow> .On reading said booklet it mention the thousands that have succumed to Garand thumb :yup: .I have joined that elite group :eek: .As you know when I retracted the bolt I stoped when the follower engaged instead of the latch mech. engaging.Creating the mouse trap or in my case rat trap since I am bigger than a mouse ;D .I love that rifle and to put it on a flag was the only way to present it to my honorable brothers.I just can't say enough about how this rifle screams history. :hail:  <thumbsup>

This lady I worked with in retail closed a Beretta on her palm.  She's sharp, smarter than most gun guys and instructed more Boy Scouts than most instructors have taught people.

Anyway, slide closed, her eyes got wide and everyone looked at her like "What?", because we couldn't see she was pinched.  She couldn't close her hand to grab the slide again and was pinched too hard to yank free. Finally figured it out, after about 10 seconds.

She wanted to but didn't cuss or anything.

Jon

The last time I got pinched real good I was an apprentice.I leaned aganist an open 5 ft. sheetmetal brake and it closed and pinched my ass.After that happened it was time to go to work go,go,go.At the end of the day when I was gonna shower took my shorts off and had a bloody line across both cheeks.After that I made sure I closed the brake.

• 4 weeks later...

Went through the entire rifle.Pushed out pin on follower assy. and parts were on the floor,dog looked at me with the "that aint good" look.I said "what would brother Ron do?" so I got a cold beer.Only took 2 hrs. to figure out where and how the 3 parts went together ??? .Stripped the wood after taking stock and handgaurds off.Then put 3 coats of Minwax poly indoor-outdoor.Hit it with 220 grit after first 2,then 300 on last.Cleaned rifle used CLP and all temp grease.As issued.Love this rifle.

post-12375-0-27304600-1370663100_thumb.j

post-12375-0-12967400-1370663120_thumb.j

That puppy looks sweet Rene.

And don't ever feel bad about parts on the floor. poop....that still seems to happen to me all the time. The important part........you got her back together.

You've done good my man. Anybody would be proud to handle her (the rifle..........not the old lady). grin