• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M1 Garand

bigt77

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would HIGHLY recommend going through the CMP for a M-1 Garand. Yes, it can be a pain doing all the their requirements, but it's so worth the effort. I got my service grade in 2007 and LOVE it.  I had it checked out by a 'smith and at the time it was one of the best he had seen....barrel and throat looked untouched. At the time he recommended I sell it (for much more that what I paid for it) and get two more of the same grade--> service. Kicking myself now for not getting one or two more. Only thing bad with mine was that it needed an elevation knob (one in it was a bit rusty). It cleaned up nicely and looks gorgeous now, def. going to be a family heirloom now.

I recommend going service grade and whatever manufacture that floats your boat. Mine was Springfield Armory. Just a heads up, got an email update from their sales dept., which you can sign up for, and the prices of service grade are going up....not sure how much exactly, but for sure at least $100. If you're lucky enough to  live somewhat close to either their Ohio or Alabama stores, I'd take a road trip and pick one out yourself. I wasn't able to, but I got a great rifle....straight to my front door! Can't beat that.

• 1 year later...

I ordered a Garand from the CMP a few years ago. I ordered the service grade. The rifle I got was in good condition and the bore looked great. I eventually wound up completely rebuilding my Garand and converting it to .308. She's a beautiful tack driver that looks like it just rolled out of Springfiled Armory.

• 2 months later...

Well all the planets were in alignment.Got a line on a CMP Garand the guys is a couple of hrs. away.He's former military/recover agent.He had 2 for him and he's dad who has since passed.They shot competion with them.One used more than the other.He sold one yesterady to a WW2 Vet and the other was a safe queen.Talked to him saw pics in e-mails,and he talked to his mom about a trade I proposed.She said it up to you,so the trade is my RRA Coyote 20" HBAR straightup for the Garand.He is also going to throw in primers,dies,and whatever cases he has. :banana:  Hope'in to do the deal next week.It's a H&R from between 1954/1956.Holy s h i t ,feelin a little tinglely.Not bad for a fifth grader. :hethan:

You may shoot the commercial ammo in the M1 Garand which duplicates the performance of the original service round.

Wildly different weights, pressures, and velocities in hunting rounds is how we hear about the oft mentioned "bent op-rod" on Garand-style rifles.

Jon

Federal makes it, and I always nail several boxes of that whenever I hit up Cabela's.  Another real good one from Federal American Eagle is the 7.62x51 ammo for the M1A - it's a 168gr OTM round, and works very, very well.  <thumbsup>

168gr_otm_m1a.jpg

IIRC bro you can't join the CMP directly, rather you have to join a club or organization that is affiliated with CMP.

Revolutionary War Veterans Association/Appleseed membership will get you one of those.

Jon

What he said.  You don't even need to attend an Appleseed Shoot - you can join the RWVA directly.  Hit this link:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/join_rwva.html

Talked to the girl in Ala. for CMP.I could also join the Garand collectors $25.00,send passport,CCL,and DL and good to go.I need as much info on Garand as I don't know S H I T about them.Then I'll checkout RWVA for sure.I thought 30-06 was 7.62X63 ?? Not gonna put the spacer in for .308.

.I thought 30-06 was 7.62X63 ?? Not gonna put the spacer in for .308.

It is a 30-06, unless it's been converted.  I just listed the other American Eagle ammo that I like, and use in the .308 Win rifles, both bolt and AR.  <thumbsup>

Got it I do have American Eagle .308 good stuff.As soon as my fukin sister in-law gives back my camera charger :fawkdance:  I'll post pics.Just like when I got my Harley 1/2 hr. into the ride gear poop knob broke off.I said "welcome to Harley Davidson". So I'm at the kids house lookin at the rifle and slam the bolt shut into my thumb that was in the chamber :eek: .I said "welcome to the world of Garand".I wasn't in the van 5 min. going home and it was turnig colors :ugone2far:  fuk.I could have sworn I heard the old timers in heaven busten a gut <laughs> .S H I T  I'll do anything for a laugh <lmao> .Kid who is ex-Army just looked at me and I played it off like I ment to do that.  :yup:

So I'm at the kids house lookin at the rifle and slam the bolt shut into my thumb that was in the chamber :eek: .I said "welcome to the world of Garand".

"Garand Thumb..."  <laughs> <lmao>

You only do that ONCE...